Jose Rodriguez Traded to Phillies for $

ChiSox59

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This isn’t just about Popeye for me.  Why can’t Speas be given the innings that are going to Leone?  What would be the difference in actual production?

Probably a lot, if Speas can't throw strikes. 

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

You just made the case for letting Rodriguez play over DeJong/Lopez.

Sosa, Ramos and Montgomery would have been called up before Rodriguez imo. He would have been a possible mid season next year callup or september  maybe if he had a productive year

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You just made a great case for letting Sosa/Rodriguez play over DeJong/Lopez.

I don’t want the Sox rushing ANY prospects to MLB until they’re fully ready, ESPECIALLY in a lost season. I don’t want to see Thorpe, Montgomery, Ramos, etc this season at all. Honestly, I don’t even want to see Sosa. Why start the service time on any of these guys in a lost season when any hopes for actually competing are still 2-3 years out at a minimum?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You think Speas would have an xERA above 23.0?

He wouldn’t have to when the Sox could have called up Barlow, Anderson, Touki, Kuhl, Woodford, etc

• Like 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I don’t want the Sox rushing ANY prospects to MLB until they’re fully ready, ESPECIALLY in a lost season. I don’t want to see Thorpe, Montgomery, Ramos, etc this season at all. Honestly, I don’t even want to see Sosa. Why start the service time on any of these guys in a lost season when any hopes for actually competing are still 2-3 years out at a minimum?

Yeah, not rushing prospects is actually a smart thing Getz is doing.  But at some point adding all these bad veterans is counterproductive if you’re out of 40 man space.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s hard to do much worse than that.  Given his extra base hit ability, he could match Lopez’s futile OPS.

Lopez's futile OPS is from 20 PA's during a season-opening slump. If he stays at a 500 OPS, Sosa or Shewmake may end up replacing him. Popeye is not MLB ready, and could look like 2022 Lenyn Sosa. .300 OPS. 

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why do we need a 22 year middle infielder with some tools to be major league ready right now?  This team isn’t competing any time soon and we should be willing to roster some kids who might be able to provide some value in the future.  I get Popeye is a long-shot to be more than a UT guy, but the players we’re keeping over him are pure roster filler and provide zero long-term value.

And just to be 100% clear here, if we were DFAing Popeye because we were adding a kid like Montgomery then I wouldn’t be complaining here.  I simply don’t like adding more 30+ year olds who don’t move the needle and aren’t good enough to be flipped at the deadline.  We have plenty of bad veterans who can provide leadership in the clubhouse already, we don’t need more of them in hopes of Pedro maybe winning one more game this year.

Because Popeye was on the 40-man, and you need that space to play the mlb games. You have kids to play. Shewmake and Sosa. The 40-man problems are Josimer Cousin, Jared Shuster and Davis Martin. They didn't want to blow a year of control over Martin, so they didn't put him on the 60-day to clear a spot. Cousin had a contractual deadline. Shuster's a AAAA junk-baller. 

An actual bullpen arm on the MLB club isn't the problem. 

27 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

Justin Anderson or Barlow could be as good or better than Shaw or Leone. I just don’t see how this isn’t purely bad moves

And each of them would need to be put on the 40-man. I think Barlow is returning from injury. 

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Because Popeye was on the 40-man, and you need that space to play the mlb games. You have kids to play. Shewmake and Sosa. The 40-man problems are Josimer Cousin, Jared Shuster and Davis Martin. They didn't want to blow a year of control over Martin, so they didn't put him on the 60-day to clear a spot. Cousin had a contractual deadline. Shuster's a AAAA junk-baller. 

An actual bullpen arm on the MLB club isn't the problem. 

You told us the bullpen was stacked.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, not rushing prospects is actually a smart thing Getz is doing.  But at some point adding all these bad veterans is counterproductive if you’re out of 40 man space.

I’m not worried about it. Isn’t like half the 40-man gone after this season anyways? Seems like they’re going to have a ton of space and even now could easily create it if they wanted.

15 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Lopez's futile OPS is from 20 PA's during a season-opening slump. If he stays at a 500 OPS, Sosa or Shewmake may end up replacing him. Popeye is not MLB ready, and could look like 2022 Lenyn Sosa. .300 OPS. 

You’ve been fluffing Lopez since Getz first acquired him and then touted him when he had a hot streak in meaningless ST games (Nicky Two-Eighty).  The dude has a .628 career OPS.  He had a .632 OPS last season.  It’s what he is.  Early season slump or not, he is never going to have good offensive numbers.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m not worried about it. Isn’t like half the 40-man gone after this season anyways? Seems like they’re going to have a ton of space and even now could easily create it if they wanted.

Yep, the simple fact is that there are probably 10-15 guys on this roster that would actually be in a legit team’s 40 man roster.  It’s just an embarrassing collection of bad talent.

• Like 2

You’ve been fluffing Lopez since Getz first acquired him and then touted him when he had a hot streak in meaningless ST games (Nicky Two-Eighty).  The dude has a .628 career OPS.  He had an .632 OPS last season.  It’s what he is.  Early season slump of not, he is never going to have good offensive numbers.

You’d rather have the $5.5M reliever with a 9 ERA? It was a salary dump for both sides, although I think the Sox got the only potentially useful long term piece in Shewmake in that trade.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You just made a great case for letting Sosa/Rodriguez play over DeJong/Lopez.

Popeye is not AAA ready, let alone major league ready. And we have no idea if Sosa is even on the level of DeJong and Lopez. He sure wasn't in his previous 2 cups of coffee. I think Sosa should be starting at 2B. And Lee should be the main catcher. 

But none of that has anything to do with cutting Popeye, as he was regressing, and wasn't worth a 40-man slot. I look forward to the Phillies developing him over the next 3 seasons, then DFAing him because he's still not MLB ready, and he's out of options. 

You’ve been fluffing Lopez since Getz first acquired him and then touted him when he had a hot streak in meaningless ST games (Nicky Two-Eighty).  The dude has a .628 career OPS.  He had a .632 OPS last season.  It’s what he is.  Early season slump of not, he is never going to have good offensive numbers.

The best was when someone was like “he hit into bad luck, he made good contact but it wasn’t far enough”.  Yeah, that’s who he is.   Doesn’t have enough power to clear the outfielders.  He gets played like he’s a righty pull hitter.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

He wouldn’t have to when the Sox could have called up Barlow, Anderson, Touki, Kuhl, Woodford, etc

Those guys just make this problem worse as they all would need 40 man slots. Also worth noting that Barlow is on the 60 day MILb IL and Woodford gave up 9 runs in a 1/3 or an inning the other day against a AAA team. 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I did. And I still think that's true. They've played 7 games. 

Oh dear god…any bullpen with Kopech, Leone, Banks, Shaw and others is not stacked.  It’s ok to admit this roster sucks.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You’ve been fluffing Lopez since Getz first acquired him and then touted him when he had a hot streak in meaningless ST games (Nicky Two-Eighty).  The dude has a .628 career OPS.  He had a .632 OPS last season.  It’s what he is.  Early season slump or not, he is never going to have good offensive numbers.

I've been joking about Nicky Lopez to mess with the naysayers. 

I'd have no problem with Sosa taking 2B away from Lopez. Or Lopez kicking it up a notch, and holding onto 2B. None of it really matters. 

• TLR 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Oh dear god…any bullpen with Kopech, Leone, Banks, Shaw and others is not stacked.  It’s ok to admit this roster sucks.

And it's okay to look at a bullpen and not engage in hyperbole when it can be effective when everybody gets their roles down and hits their stride. Maldonado sucks. DeJong/Lopez/Shewmake's offense sucks. Vaughn's production sucks. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

And it's okay to look at a bullpen and not engage in hyperbole when it can be effective when everybody gets their roles down and hits their stride. Maldonado sucks. DeJong/Lopez/Shewmake's offense sucks. Vaughn's production sucks. 

Don’t forget — bullpen sucks.  All true.