thoughts on the the U of Illinois

HawkDJ

Hi..I think I remember that some of you go or have gone to the U of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) so I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on the school. My parents would love for me to go there due to the cost. I'll probably apply to the business school. Not sure if I'll get in by I got a 31 on my ACT and I'm in the top 7% of my class.

Just give me your thoughts in general on the school, the faculty, the students, the town. Stuff like that. I really appreciate it!

ON a side note, whats really good with you, Hawkie

BE GOOD

That doesnt even make sense Begood...... :lol:

HawkDJ.....U of I is a great school. Take it I dont go there (Im a freshman at UIC) I've been down there once and its a fun party school. Many soxtalk members go to U of I and will probably further elaborate on its qualities. Even as an outsider I can appreciate all the school has to offer.

With a 31 on your ACT you should breeze into that school. I was accepted at U of I with a 26 and a terrible Freshman year of high school. Even though I applied into Liberal Arts Im sure business is no different.

I don't go to University of Illinois but I am a business major. One thing I would recommend is just going to the campus and going to the advisement center and ask the people their some questions and just go around the business building and ask some students outside what they think of the school and all that type of stuff.

You'd meet some of the people that go there and get an idea about the school. You could also call up a bigger business around your area and ask for a recruiter and see what business schools they like to hire out of. Some may not be willing, but I hear most are very willing to help you out.

I am kind of wondering what exactly people in my major do (I know part of it, but was curious as the day to day crap) so I asked my acct teacher and she's setting me up with this thing where I cna go into the company for a day or two and just see what exactly CPA's do and all that crap.

Although I'm not likely to be a CPA, other then simply have the liscense to do it.

Go SCHOOL :lol:

I graduated from UIUC WAAAYYY Back in 1989, but it’s a great school. Don’t ever let the low in-state tuition fool you – you would be hard pressed to find a better place to get an undergraduate degree.

I had friends that were in the business school, and at least a couple of them knew they were going to have admission problems with their scores and grades, so they applied as LAS General to get in, and then transferred to Business after a semester or two. Jason’s right, talk to an advisor there about your scores and grades and where you stand against other incoming students.

The school is HUGE, but people make that more intimidating than it needs to be. If you grow up living in Chicago or some other big city, you still only concern yourself with your own small part of it. Same for going to a big school – you only deal with part of it on a daily basis, but the rest is there when you want it.

Lots of extra-curricular stuff to be had, and some of which doesn’t even involve alcohol (though there is a bit of that as well, if I recall… some of my memory is hazy). There has always been a good local music scene, although I know some of the better live music venues have closed or changed management to their detriment. Great arts center, all kinds of opportunities and facilities for intramural sports.

Go check it out, you’ll probably really like it.

I applied there about a month ago, still waiting/stalking the mailman for my letter back. I applied to LAS computer science/math major, hoping to go into the engineering after a year or two. I went down there last month and i absolutely loved it.............that mailman better get here soon ;)

UIUC is a fun place.

I'm a junior there [gonna be here for 2 more years after this one so I can get my education minor...it's an automatic 5 year plan for that] and it's a really good place.

It is really big but if you can just find a crew of people then you're set. There is so much stuff going on all the time outside of classes that it's really easy to meet people down here. Whatever you're into, there are like over 1000+ clubs and the music scene down here is pretty good...not great but decent.

UIUC is a fun place.

I'm a junior there [gonna be here for 2 more years after this one so I can get my education minor...it's an automatic 5 year plan for that] and it's a really good place.

It is really big but if you can just find a crew of people then you're set.  There is so much stuff going on all the time outside of classes that it's really easy to meet people down here.  Whatever you're into, there are like over 1000+ clubs and the music scene down here is pretty good...not great but decent.

how much are season tix for basketball/football for students? that's one thing i can't wait for.

Mine were free for basketball as I am in Orange Krush and for football I think they were $66 dollars this year and it was not worth it at all.

I'm thinking of joining that when if I get in. Is it hard to get season tix for those 2 sports? i would think not.

I'm thinking of joining that when if I get in.  Is it hard to get season tix for those 2 sports? i would think not.

No, its not. Although if you wait to long it would be really hard to get individual tickets for certain basketball games. As far as football goes you can basically just buy them on game day if you want because we never sell out.

It's a complete sham that the U of I is always the cheapest option in state just because it is the state's public university. Most private schools, though having a higher base cost, give away a lot more money in scholarships and grants. With a 29 and being in the top 10% of my class, I got BU's best scholarship. Compared to my friends at UIUC, I pay waaaaaaaay less than they do (I think the descripancy is over $6,000/year) and I go to a better school for my major (education). The rule of thumb that says a state university being cheaper than a private is very misleading.

I have no idea about Illinois' business program, but I know Bradley has a very respectable College of Business. Don't put blinders on your options.

It's a complete sham that the U of I is always the cheapest option in state just because it is the state's public university.

It's not a sham...It's just entirely untrue. ISU, SIU, WIU, EIU, NIU, NEIU, and CSU are ALL less expensive than UIUC, and you can get a quality education at each institution. ISU is nationally known for its education and business departments, WIU has a very good humanities department, NIU has a very good nursing department, as does SIU.

What I'm trying to say, HawkDJ, is to keep your options open! Don't put all of your eggs in one basket...I have enjoyed my time here at ISU, and am going to miss it when I move away from campus for good back to home next February.

ISU = I Screwed Up  :)

I've been on the campus multiple times for different events...I know.

ISU's a quality school and is ranked #2 in the nation for my major...

And, at least ISU isn't full of arrogant bastards like the U of I is...They treat those who don't go to the U of I much like Cub fans treat Sox fans...YES, I'm equating the U of I to the Cubs! Let me just tell you that the U of I is just A university in the state...not THE university! Contrary to most U of Iers beliefs, there are OTHER universities within the same state! What a novel concept!!! You'll find a greater percentage of humble people at the other campuses in the state.

In fact, I propose an ad campaign slogan for the U of I...

"Come to the U of I: Where humble people need not apply."