Simon and Garfunkel

BrandoFan

I agree that the Graduate is a great movie. Some of the songs from Simon/Garfunkel really fit the mood of the story. "Sound Of Silence" and the one that begins, "Are.......you going to Scarborough Fair" are their best.

If I was alive in the late 60s, early 70s when they were at their peak i would of said I like them only to bang sensitive, hippy chicks. I enjoy classic rock but dont take to simon/garfunks lyrical poetry.

I agree that the Graduate is a great movie.  Some of the songs from Simon/Garfunkel really fit the mood of the story.  "Sound Of Silence" and the one that begins, "Are.......you going to Scarborough Fair" are their best.

If I was alive in the late 60s, early 70s when they were at their peak i would of said I like them only to bang sensitive, hippy chicks.  I enjoy classic rock but dont take to simon/garfunks lyrical poetry.

Having been away from Chicago as long as I have I have adopted "Homeward Bound" as a sort of personal theme song of mine.

S&G got pretty far on accoustic guitars, didn't they? Probably could've pulled the power stuff that came after if they wished, lol

and the one that begins, "Are.......you going to Scarborough Fair" are their best

I know the movie did not age very well, and it so powerfully spoke to a specific generation to which I do not belong.......but since I first seen it a few years back, I dunno, I've seen certain sequences like the fish-tank-bridge-zoo one countless times, mesmerized--and I think the above song plays no small part.

On a related note, Mrs. Robinson got me started on (hopefully) a life-long, um,

appreciation of older women. :cheers Ann Bancroft has a killer acting face, too.

Tom and Jerry are the best.

The Graduate is one of those rare films for which the film and the soundtrack are absolutely integral to each other and quite inseperable. The emotions of the film are brilliantly resonated by the accompanying songs. From that era, I can only think of Harold and Maude and the Cat Stevens soundtrack from that film that are that complementary and inseperable.

Benjamin's Father: "Frankly, Benjamin, I'm afraid this whole plan of yours sounds half-baked."

Benjamin: "No, it's completely baked.."

The Graduate is one of those rare films for which the film and the soundtrack are absolutely integral to each other and quite inseperable

Absolutely.

I also can't imagine the two Godfathers with a different soundtrack. Or Barry Lyndon, for that matter. Requiem For a Dream. Once Upon the Time in the West. Pulp Fiction. American Beauty. Fargo. Chungking Express. Apocalypse Now. Clockwork Orange. Etc.

Amadeus, too. :lol:

I assume it's a generation thing but to me the music of the 60s and early 70's spoke of deeper meaning and expressed it better than today's music. Who is writing and performing music today with the same emotional intensity of S&G?

They'll be relieved to hear they passed your audition, PA  :D

I only have a few opinions about a handful of opinions. Most people like me outside of Online message boards. I'm usually a well-mannered lad.

I'll take a S&G harmony over John and Paul anyday.

I only have a few opinions about a handful of opinions. Most people like me outside of Online message boards. I'm usually a well-mannered lad.

I'll take a S&G harmony over John and Paul anyday.

Any response to my earlier question? Who's writing with that depth and performing it that well today? I think we've reached the point where style is everything and substance is irrevelant. For the sake of argument I'll agree on S&G over J,P,G, and R but find me someone better today than either group.

Like you said, that's subjective and completely relative to what the listener is looking for.

Denison Witmer has some amazing lyrics and melodies on "philadelphia songs" and "of love and sorrow"

"give me love over, love over this" -coldplay..."politik" is a great song.

Pedro the Lion "Control" is an amazing record

From a music sense "Let it come down" by Spiritualized is masterful

Appleseed Cast and the Beta Band are also great bands.

Any response to my earlier question? Who's writing with that depth and performing it that well today? I think we've reached the point where style is everything and substance is irrevelant

The irony of course is that today's self-appointed style merchants have so very LITTLE of it-- just the self-conscious, graceless, lifeless eclectic corporate mess............Substance? They can't even do the 'shallow' thing right.

Music? When an untalented poseur Justin Timberlake is your most committed and sensitive mainstream artist, you KNOW you're in f***ing trouble.

(But the beautiful thing is, nobody can stop you from listening to S&G, Beattles, Zep, Stevie, etc. They come off even better in contrast with today's painful dreck. )

The irony of course is that today's self-appointed style merchants have so very LITTLE of it-- just the self-conscious, graceless, lifeless eclectic corporate mess............Substance? Pleaseeeee.

Music?  When an untalented poseur Justin Timberlake is your most committed and sensitive mainstream artist, you KNOW you're in f***ing trouble. 

(But the beautiful thing is, nobody can stop you from listening to S&G, Beattles, Zep, Stevie, etc.  They come off even better in contrast with today's painful dreck. )

Start of arguement #12,494,397 on soxtalk...

I would make the arguement that Justin Timberlake is actually quite talented, however, he's caught in the horrible place of making music in one of the worst periods in history. The dude can sing, and not in the "who wants to be the next pop american idol millionaire" lame way.

I mean I'm not saying he comes even close to S&G and the likes, he just reminiscent of MJ in the eighties.