Colon compensation

dasox24

What picks will we recieve from the Angels for the Colon signing? We don't get their 1st round pick b/c they were one of the worst 15 teams in the league. I think getting their 2nd round pick and a sandwhich pick would be bull b/c we just lost one of the best pitchers in baseball, and I think that a little more is needed in return for losing him. So, do we receive two sandwich picks b/t the 1st and 2nd round or what?

Even though its a 2nd rounder, look at it this way. The Sox will have 6 picks in the first two rounds. I'd say thats pretty darn good. They should be able to have a very good draft and going with last years draft (Which looked really good) completely rebuild the farm system in the lower levels with an influx of talent.

I like a lot of the position players that were drafted last year and I think this time the Sox should go heavy on pitching and draft a good catcher or two as well as middle infield prospects, cause you can never have too many of them. Basically they aught to just go best available the whole way down, but find guys that they can sign.

I'm guessing with so many picks, they will probably take a few guys a little high for signability reasons.

You know what? Sox will never be the type of a team (Cubs, Marlins I am looking in your direction) who finsihes last and beefts up on top 3 picks.

As long as we have one of the brighter talent evaluators (do we though?), there's LOTS that can be done with extra sandwitch/second/3rd round. If we continue to draft like did last year or better, before you know we'll have LOTS of Jeremy Reeds and Jon Raches and Neil Cottss running around.

It will be good that we will have 6 picks in the first 2 rounds, but didn't Fontaine run our drafts the last couple of years. If that's the case, our draft might not be as good as last years considering we don't know how well our draft will be run this year. I do love last years draft, and I know that quality guys can be gotten in the 2nd round (i.e. Ryan Sweeney), but wouldn't you rather have the 12th pick in the 1st round than the 12th pick in the 2nd round. O, and I know that having too many high picks might mean that you can't sign them all, but that would be a terrible excuse if we don't end up using the money that we would have spent on Colon on someone else.

No, Laumann ran our drafts the past few years. Unfortunately, he is gone too.

Not getting a first round pick is no big deal. Their is no way the Sox could have afforded the bonuses for three first rounders (their own, Colon and Gordon), two supplemental picks and one second round pick.

Of course there was already another thread today with damn near the same title that covered all of this. LOL

Even though its a 2nd rounder, look at it this way.  The Sox will have 6 picks in the first two rounds.  I'd say thats pretty darn good.  They should be able to have a very good draft and going with last years draft (Which looked really good) completely rebuild the farm system in the lower levels with an influx of talent.

I like a lot of the position players that were drafted last year and I think this time the Sox should go heavy on pitching and draft a good catcher or two as well as middle infield prospects, cause you can never have too many of them.  Basically they aught to just go best available the whole way down, but find guys that they can sign. 

I'm guessing with so many picks, they will probably take a few guys a little high for signability reasons.

This reminds me of the Oakland situation where they had 7 picks in the first 39 a couple of years ago. This is a great oppurtunity for this ballclub to rebuild our farm system, and I think we should go heavy on pitching and infielders with speed and defense. Does any1 know what no. our first round pick is as well?

sox draft 18 in next years draft....angels draft 12.....yankees (would have) draft 28

the sox draft looks like this....

first round...18

compensation round...2 picks

second round...12, 18, and 28

third round...18

so the sox should have 7 picks ( depending on how many teams draft in the compensation round) :usa