NCAA hoops thread

I am going to make two statements.

SoxHeads- Stinson looked good, but watch out for Russel Robinson from the Bronx also coming to KU

Illinios I am very happy you won, and may I say WELCOME to the NCAA Tourney

Indiana I hope you enjoy the NIT.

That's 3, but who's counting?

Anyways....You quickly forget that IU's not really out of it yet; as you have said many times, the Big Ten is down. We could still even win the reg season, and we could also get in if we win the Big Ten tourney.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's 3, but who's counting?

Anyways....You quickly forget that IU's not really out of it yet; as you have said many times, the Big Ten is down.  We could still even win the reg season, and we could also get in if we win the Big Ten tourney.

As a fellow IU fan, that was a crushing lose. You need to win the games on your home court. It depressing to see IU blow yet another big lead by not scoring a basket in the final 10 minutes. Give some credit to the Illinois D, but IU deserves most of the blame. This was a game that they lead throughout, and should have killed Illinois with the way they played. Illinois still isn't a lock for the Tourny. IU really hurt there chances and will probably have to win the majority of their games to make the Tourny. This just isn't IU's year, but with next years recruiting class, IU might be the early favorites for next year, especially if Wright stays.

As a fellow IU fan, that was a crushing lose. You need to win the games on your home court. It depressing to see IU blow yet another big lead by not scoring a basket in the final 10 minutes. Give some credit to the Illinois D, but IU deserves most of the blame. This was a game that they lead throughout, and should have killed Illinois with the way they played. Illinois still isn't a lock for the Tourny. IU really hurt there chances and will probably have to win the majority of their games to make the Tourny. This just isn't IU's year, but with next years recruiting class, IU might be the early favorites for next year, especially if Wright stays.

Let's see, who will be expected to do better next year? State, which loses not one of their starters (barring leaving early, and if that does happen, Izzo is in serious trouble). Andreas is only one of two seniors, and he comes off the bench. I don't even know who the other senior is; or IU? I think it'll be State.

Let's see, who will be expected to do better next year? State, which loses not one of their starters (barring leaving early, and if that does happen, Izzo is in serious trouble). Andreas is only one of two seniors, and he comes off the bench. I don't even know who the other senior is; or IU? I think it'll be State.

Agreed, I think State will have more expected from them. I do think the Hoosiers will have a hell of a season though. I think the Big Ten will be back next year.

At this point I highly doubt that Josh Smith steps foot in Bloomington. His stock is skyrocketing right now at Oak Hill, and the most recent mock draft that I saw had him going 3rd behind Howard and Okafor. If(thats a huge and unlikely if) he does play for IU next year, than they will almost certainly be the favorites in the Big Ten. Most scouts compare him to CAnthony when they talk about his game, size, and possible impact at the college level. Even if he doesn't go to Bloomington, the Hoosiers still have a top 10 class with 4 other recruits ranked in the top 100. Furthermore, one of their recruits(James Hardy) is planning on taking a football scholly, so that frees up a schoolly(2 if Smith goes pro) and Davis has said that he will most likely sign at least 1 more recruit.

The odds on favorite is top 30 prospect Tello Palacios, who is a 6'7 230 lb PF and probably fits IU's needs better than Smith(although I would rather have Smith). IU is supposely the favorites to land Palacios considering that the other 3 schools that he lists don't have a schoolly available(although that could change if someone goes pro). So if they get Palacios and lose Smith, than they will still have either the #1 or #2 class in country depending on who you ask.

They are also still recruiting a kid by the name of Rothbart, who is a 7'0 200 lb SF/C and his stock is skyrocketing(recently found himself ranked in the top 100). He is a European born kid with a great outside game and good fundamentals(like most European born players). He said that he is down to either IU or Arizona.

They are also after a JC Center(6'10 220 lb) by the name of Pettway, who has come out of nowhere. Now he is being recruited by college BB powerhouses like Florida, Maryland, NC, and IU.

There is also a very slim chance that they could steal top 15 recruit Randolph "baby Duncan" Morris, although thats not likely, and he might go pro anyways.

With all that said, Davis just said on a radio show today, that another big man is going to commit to IU within the next 2 weeks(most likely one of the above mentioned guys). So even though Smith will probably go pro, IU will still have a top 5 class(at the worst) when it is all said and done.

Besides the top recruiting class, IU will still have Wright(I think he will go pro, but he wasn't included in the most recent mock draft), Strickland, Perry, Wilmont, Kline, and Ewing who all played major minutes this year. Their only two(major) loses are Moye and Leach. IU will have much more size next year, which has been their major weakness. They will have Kline and Ewing and probably 2 other big man(White for sure). They are also adding 2 wing players in Vaden and Hardy with good size 6'5 and 6'6 respectively. I still think IU will be the favorites even if Smith goes pro(assuming they add another top 100 big man which is likely), especially if Wright stays.

Don't be so confident that everyone is going to return for MSU. Every mock draft I have seen includes Davis, and one scout said that he is all but guaranteed to leave. If MSU loses Davis, than they will probably only be a middle of the pack Big Ten team with no other proven big man or true PG.

I disagree, whitesox61382. Until someone knocks them off, Wisky is the favorite to take the Big 10. They really aren't going to lose much and are going to have Brian Butch (McDonald's AA) who is redshirting this year and Steitsma (sp?) another good big coming in. As long as Devin Harris doesn't go pro, they are the favorites next year.

I disagree, whitesox61382.  Until someone knocks them off, Wisky is the favorite to take the Big 10.  They really aren't going to lose much and are going to have Brian Butch (McDonald's AA) who is redshirting this year and Steitsma (sp?) another good big coming in.  As long as Devin Harris doesn't go pro, they are the favorites next year.

You do make a valid point about Wisconsin. They will only lose 1 major contributor to graduation. As long as Harris doesn't go pro you can certainly make the arguement that they are the favorites. A lot of it depends on the impact that the recruiting class has for IU. I am basing my opinion on the relatively strong core of players that IU returns(assuming Wright stays) and the top recruiting class = the favorites for the Big Ten. You can certainly make arguements for Wisconsin, MSU, and Illinois(who also doesn't have a senior) being the favorite as well. I have little doubt that the Big Ten will rebound though. I didn't realize how young most of these teams are. The majority of the top players in the Big Ten this year are returning next year(if they don't go pro).

You do make a valid point about Wisconsin. They will only lose 1 major contributor to graduation. As long as Harris doesn't go pro you can certainly make the arguement that they are the favorites. A lot of it depends on the impact that the recruiting class has for IU. I am basing my opinion on the relatively strong core of players that IU returns(assuming Wright stays) and the top recruiting class = the favorites for the Big Ten. You can certainly make arguements for Wisconsin, MSU, and Illinois(who also doesn't have a senior) being the favorite as well. I have little doubt that the Big Ten will rebound though. I didn't realize how young most of these teams are. The majority of the top players in the Big Ten this year are returning next year(if they don't go pro).

Actually, technically Illinois does have a senior (Jerrance Howard), he just never sees the floor so we don't lose anyone of any importance. IU because of the hype surrounding their recruiting class may be the media favorite but I still say if Devin Harris stays than Wisky is the team to beat unfortunately.

Illinois should be very good next year, depending on Weber

There is no way that Indiana keeps all those recruits. Plus KU recruit Russel Robinson has smoked IU recruit AJ Price twice this year for over 35 points in both occasions.

Michigan state may be young, but no one ever stays at that school, which sucks.

KU has two seniors Graves and Nash

Simien, Langford, Lee,Miles are Juniors.

Giddens Padgett, Wilkes,Case are Frosh

Robinson, Sasha Kaun, Jackson are here next year.

Iowa State has some great young players.

Illinois should be very good next year, depending on Weber

There is no way that Indiana keeps all those recruits.  Plus KU recruit Russel Robinson has smoked IU recruit AJ Price twice this year for over 35 points in both occasions.

Michigan state may be young, but no one ever stays at that school, which sucks.

KU has two seniors Graves and Nash

Simien, Langford, Lee,Miles are Juniors. 

Giddens Padgett, Wilkes,Case are Frosh

Robinson, Sasha Kaun, Jackson are here next year.

Iowa State has some great young players.

IU with probably get 4 out of their 5 recruits(Josh Smith going pro), however, like I mentioned before they will probably sign another top 100 big man to replace Smith, so they will still have one of the top 5 classes and maybe the #1 class.

MSU will almost certainly lose Davis. I have little doubt of that. Hill and Torbert might think about leaving early, but that would be a terrible idea for either. MSU will have the same problems they have had this year. Little depth up front and no true PG, which is why I think they will be a little below the top 3 of Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana.

Speaking of leaving early. KU could lose a couple of players early Graves and Nash are solid contributes and will be missed. You also have to worry about Simen, Langford, and possible even Padgett leaving early. I don't think KU will be that strong next year. I also think that Self will struggle recruiting without a hotbed like Illinois to get recruits from.

One thing that I will agree on is that the Big Ten as a whole will be much better next year.

AJ Price is the number 7 point guard going to UCONN. Sorry bout that.

now, what the hell are you talking about. Simien is coming off surgery, not going anywhere, and Padgett looks and plays like gumby. Pay attention.

Self has already brought in top 40 recruits from florida, nyc and oklahoma. KU will always get the highest recruits.

Who cares that Simen is coming off of surgury? To me that sounds like a pathetic excuse by you to justify Simen staying another year. I pay attention to the fact that he is putting up pretty impressive numbers; 15.5 PTS, 9.0 REB, .503 FG%, and .806 FT%, but the most impressive stat is probably his 6'9 255 lb frame. I know that quality big man are always in demand by the NBA, and the most recent mock draft I saw did include him. So don't be so sure that Simen is going to return, because the odds aren't in your favor. Padgett will most likely stay, but there were rumors that he thought about entering the draft out of high school, and he might be one of those guys that thinks he is better then he really is. Langford is also a threat to leave early. He has become the team leader and is putting up some impressive numbers across the board; 16.8 PTS, 4.6 REB, 3.0 AST, .507 FG%, .736 FT%, .387 3PT%. If Simen and Langford leave, than KU won't even sniff the top 25. It appears that you need to pay more attention to your favorite team and need to quit reviewing things with your Jayhawk glasses on.

3 top 40 recruits? I have yet to see Jackson ranked in the top 50 yet alone the top 40. Robinson and Kaun are boardline top 40 prospects(depending on which ranking you go by), and neither are in the top 30 in any ranking that I have seen. KU has a good class coming in, but it is a boardline top 10 class. We will see how well Self recruits in the upcoming years, but I think you are in for a little bit of a letdown.

Are you that KU fan that said Wright had commited to KU about a month ago? If so, than you lost some credibility with that false rumor. Take it from someone who has seen Wright play multiple times(I live and went to HF for 1 year). He is one of the most overrated recruits in the 2005 class. He has good size and is a great athlete, but he couldn't hit the ocean from the beach. The guy isn't a good shooter and doesn't have the upper body strength to be a dominating low post presence at the college level. He is still one of the better high school players in the game, but I think his stock will fall the next couple of years. We will have to wait and see.

Ok my point is many of these national services have no idea what they are talking about. Many of the top players end up sucking anyways. The top 10 end up in the NBA, and skip college.

We can look at Duke and they are loaded with Mcd';s talent. Most of them are not that special of players.

At this point I highly doubt that Josh Smith steps foot in Bloomington. His stock is skyrocketing right now at Oak Hill, and the most recent mock draft that I saw had him going 3rd behind Howard and Okafor. If(thats a huge and unlikely if) he does play for IU next year, than they will almost certainly be the favorites in the Big Ten. Most scouts compare him to CAnthony when they talk about his game, size, and possible impact at the college level. Even if he doesn't go to Bloomington, the Hoosiers still have a top 10 class with 4 other recruits ranked in the top 100. Furthermore, one of their recruits(James Hardy) is planning on taking a football scholly, so that frees up a schoolly(2 if Smith goes pro) and Davis has said that he will most likely sign at least 1 more recruit.

The odds on favorite is top 30 prospect Tello Palacios, who is a 6'7 230 lb PF and probably fits IU's needs better than Smith(although I would rather have Smith). IU is supposely the favorites to land Palacios considering that the other 3 schools that he lists don't have a schoolly available(although that could change if someone goes pro). So if they get Palacios and lose Smith, than they will still have either the #1 or #2 class in country depending on who you ask.

They are also still recruiting a kid by the name of Rothbart, who is a 7'0 200 lb SF/C and his stock is skyrocketing(recently found himself ranked in the top 100). He is a European born kid with a great outside game and good fundamentals(like most European born players). He said that he is down to either IU or Arizona.

They are also after a JC Center(6'10 220 lb) by the name of Pettway, who has come out of nowhere. Now he is being recruited by college BB powerhouses like Florida, Maryland, NC, and IU.

There is also a very slim chance that they could steal top 15 recruit Randolph "baby Duncan" Morris, although thats not likely, and he might go pro anyways.

With all that said, Davis just said on a radio show today, that another big man is going to commit to IU within the next 2 weeks(most likely one of the above mentioned guys). So even though Smith will probably go pro, IU will still have a top 5 class(at the worst) when it is all said and done.

Besides the top recruiting class, IU will still have Wright(I think he will go pro, but he wasn't included in the most recent mock draft), Strickland, Perry, Wilmont, Kline, and Ewing who all played major minutes this year. Their only two(major) loses are Moye and Leach. IU will have much more size next year, which has been their major weakness. They will have Kline and Ewing and probably 2 other big man(White for sure). They are also adding 2 wing players in Vaden and Hardy with good size 6'5 and 6'6 respectively. I still think IU will be the favorites even if Smith goes pro(assuming they add another top 100 big man which is likely), especially if Wright stays.

Don't be so confident that everyone is going to return for MSU. Every mock draft I have seen includes Davis, and one scout said that he is all but guaranteed to leave. If MSU loses Davis, than they will probably only be a middle of the pack Big Ten team with no other proven big man or true PG.

Great post. We really won't be bad at all next year. I agree on about everything you said except for Bracey. Bracey is our MVP, but he's not ready to be considered a pro. I see him coming back, at the least for his junior year and POSSIBLY his senior year.

Ah BTW...I'm in town, where Hardy plays. He's 17 points away from the city season scoring record, and we're only in early Feb! :o Also, he's 6'7''.