What will it take to keep Maggs?

aboz56

If the Sox gave Albert Belle a five-year, 55 million dollar deal, they can surely step up their deal to Maggs. Not that they actually paid all of that money out to Belle (he left after 2 seasons due to a special clause in his contract), but I think for the sake of fan morale, they've gotta do something drastic to keep Ordonez.

If the Sox gave Albert Belle a five-year, 55 million dollar deal, they can surely step up their deal to Maggs.  Not that they actually paid all of that money out to Belle (he left after 2 seasons due to a special clause in his contract), but I think for the sake of fan morale, they've gotta do something drastic to keep Ordonez.

I'm well aware of Albert's deal.. (and you're right that he did not get all $55 million, he got $11 for both of the seasons he was here - and left due to the clause that he remain one of the top 3 highest paid players). But I just don't see them paying Maggs that kind of money.

5 yr 55 mill at the max 4 yr 48 mill. I don't see the Sox going 5 yr 60 mill.

I do if Frank is gone. They will build their marketing around Maggs. The team needs that one guy who is the face of the team. He must be long term, a top 3 or 4 player, good morals, nice to the fans, etc. Mark would also be a choice but he only plays every 5 days.

I think your deal would be fair, unless he goes out and wins the triple crown this year.  He should only get about the same contract as Vlad, nothing better.  I can't remember the numbers or if it was even true or not, but didn't we offer him some kind of extension earlier this offseason?

I think he is going to have a really big time season this year being his contract year. But heres the thing: Maggs is still relatively young and has at least 5 more big years left in him. Now is not the time to trade him. Maybe at the end of the long term deal I'm hoping KR and KW will give him next winter.