Kaz Sasaki quits the Mariners

JDsDirtySox

Got this from the Mariners message board on espn.com:

SEATTLE -- Seattle Mariners closer Kazuhiro Sasaki told the team Monday he will not pitch for Seattle in 2004, deciding to forfeit the final year of his contract and remain with his family in Japan.

The Mariners' career saves leader, who turns 36 on Feb. 22, would walk away from up to $9.5 million by not playing for Seattle next season.

"It's a personal situation," agent Tony Attanasio said. "He wanted to stay home with his kids. Last year, he did not have his kids with him and his wife. He had to have that, and he left a lot of money on the table."

Attanasio said Sasaki may pitch in Japan next season but "he will not pitch again in the United States."

Mariners must have known something about this if they signed Guardado. I found it hard to believe that he wanted to be a set-up man after the success he had closing in Minnesota. I know I remember reading a month or so ago that there was a possibility that Sasaki wouldn't return, but I forgot where I read it. Nonetheless, I think Guardado is better for the Mariners in the long run. Seems to me that Sasaki was getting hurt an awful lot last year.

I dont see why not, and I wouldnt think it would be a big deal if he goes and pitches in Japan. Its basically the same situation as Clemens.

That's true. But Clemens retired, and "unretired" to pitch in a different league. Kasaki quitted, and might "unquit" to pitch in a different country. :D

I expect Seattle to sign Pudge or Greg Maddux now with the money they save from Sasaki leavin.

Maddux won't go the AL. He succeeds because he knows the hitters in the NL so well, that's part of his advantage everytime he toes the rubber. Just don't see him switching leagues at this point. Plus he'd have to face better lineups with the AL having the DH.

Mariners must have known something about this if they signed Guardado.  I found it hard to believe that he wanted to be a set-up man after the success he had closing in Minnesota.  I know I remember reading a month or so ago that there was a possibility that Sasaki wouldn't return, but I forgot where I read it.  Nonetheless, I think Guardado is better for the Mariners in the long run.  Seems to me that Sasaki was getting hurt an awful lot last year.

I'm pretty sure they knew something like this could happen, not that they did know it was going to happen.

Also, they are now the current favorite to get Maels Rodriguez.. I hope they have fun with him and his 53, err, 23 year old arm.

From Ken Rosenthal, this could have an effect on the Sox:

The sudden availability of Sasaki's $9.5 million could give the Mariners a chance to bid on either of the two most prominent free agents still available, pitcher Greg Maddux and catcher Ivan Rodriguez. Maddux is thought to prefer a west-coast team, and Rodriguez would be an upgrade over Dan Wilson and Ben Davis. The Mariners also could explore trades for two slugging outfielders, the Astros' Richard Hidalgo and White Sox's Magglio Ordonez.

That's true. But Clemens retired, and "unretired" to pitch in a different league. Kasaki quitted, and might "unquit" to pitch in a different country. :D

Just a couple minor corrections.. Roger did not officially retire. ;)

And Kasaki is not quitting baseball.. he's quitting baseball in the US. He's pretty clear that he'll likely play again in Japan.

Mariners shouldn't be too devastated, they've still got Guardado.

Although Guardado put up decent numbers last year, it seemed like he had Keith Foulkitis, where he would put 2 men on before he got the save just to see if the fans were still in to the game.

I think Eddy would have been a better setup man to Kaz, that would have been a good 1-2 punch. Do they still have aging Arthur Rhodes cause he's not to bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured this is what he'd do....

Updated: 09:02 AM EST

Former Mariner Sasaki Returns to Old Japanese Team

Seattle's All-Time Saves Leader Agrees to Deal With Yokohama

YOKOHAMA, Japan (Feb. 3) -- Former Seattle Mariners closer Kazuhiro Sasaki rejoined the Yokohama BayStars on Tuesday after agreeing to a deal with the Central League team.

The right-handed closer told Seattle officials last month he wanted to forfeit the final year of his contract and return to Japan to spend more time with his family.

"I want to thank the Mariners and their fans," Sasaki said. "They gave me a lot of support over the years but from now on I want to throw for the BayStars."

Terms of the contract were not released.

Sasaki had one year left on his two-year contract with Seattle and gave up on $8.5 million by not returning to the Mariners.

Before joining the Mariners in 2000, Sasaki played 10 seasons with the BayStars and was Japan's all-time saves leader when he left for the United States.

Sasaki, who turns 36 on Feb. 22, was the Mariners' career saves leader. He's coming off a difficult season, during which he went 1-2 with 10 saves in 14 opportunities and a 4.05 ERA. He missed much of the season because of two trips to the disabled list.

In June, he broke two ribs, reportedly in a fall while carrying suitcases up a flight of stairs at home. He eventually lost his job as the team's closer to Shigetoshi Hasegawa.

Sasaki was the highest-paid player on the Mariners last season at $8 million. He was the AL's rookie of the year in 2000, when he had 37 saves.

Sasaki was named to the AL All-Star team in 2001, when he set a Mariners record with 45 saves. His 129 saves over the last four seasons are a team record.

With the signing of Sasaki, the BayStars have two established closers. Eddie Gaillard, who played briefly for the Detroit Tigers and Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the late 1990s, is set to return for his second season with Yokohama.

"Of course, I want to be the closer," Sasaki said. "But this is a competitive situation and I think it will be a plus for the team."

Gaillard had eight saves last season for Yokohama after coming over in midseason from the Chunichi Dragons.

02/03/04 06:16 EST