Decriminalization of Marijuana

Soxy

Should Marijuana be Decriminalized?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marijuana be Decriminalized?

• Yes
    • No
    • Damn, what was the question?

I'm really interested in hearing what people have to say about this.

And decriminalized is different from legalized--meaning it would be subject to gov't taxes and regulations...

And damn, I realized I misspelled the stuff in the title. Swear I'm not stoned...

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me present a one act play for thoughts on the subject.

Characters:

The Cheat - Our hero

Beavis - Picured in avatar -- I really don't need to say anymore. The picture says it all.

[our characters find themselves in a small cramped apartment. There's relatively no furniture, save a bean bag chair and some milk crates, but come on, those aren't really pieces of furniture.]

V.O. {I had never realized how stupid he was until that night.}

Cheat -- Hey what do you think about the US government decriminalizing marijuana?

Beavis -- De.. Decrim... Decri... Dude that's a lot of syl.. syllal.. Letters.

Cheat --Yeah I know it's a long word. It means they're not going to arrest you for having your stash.

Beavis -- Hell yeah. Go government.

Cheat -- No, they're not actually doing it. I just wondered what you thought of it.

Beavis -- Thought of what?

Cheat -- The decriminalizarion of marijuana.

Beavis -- ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Cheat -- (kicking Beavis) Wake up man. It's puff, puff, give; not puff, puff, pass out.

Beavis -- Damn, mellow out man. You're killin' my buzz.

Cheat -- (taking a hit)(cough)

-------------

Note : The Cheat does not inhale. He's a democrat. :lol:

Ahh yes, the decriminalization of marijuana. It's truly hard to say. I stand by my ideas that if the cannabis has no "additives", it should be fine. I think it should be decriminalized, in that respect. Something natural shouldn't be illegal, but that's my crazy thought process. I don't think they should become the next cigarrette, we all know the companies would stick nicotene, tar, and whatever into the marijuana cigarrete. Buying from those 'shady' dealers would be safer then buying them at a gas station.

Cannabis is not nearly as harmful as alcohol. But alcohol is legal. It shouldn't be, but it can't not be. Prohibition didn't work for spit, and just made the matter worse. SO why shouldn't something less harmful be legalized?

I would go onto believe that say, dealing marijuana would be illegal, but, having your own private plant is not. Sharing it with your friends is not. Getting 'caught' with a bud in your pocket is not.

If I think of anymore ways tof ormulate my own opinion on this, I'll post them. Right now it's difficult though.

I don't think they should become the next cigarrette, we all know the companies would stick nicotene, tar, and whatever into the marijuana cigarrete.

Hate to tell you Yatzee, but naturally when you smoke marijuana there is more tar in it than in a regular cigarette (Maisto, et al., 2004--textbook for my Drugs, Brain and Behavior class, if you want the full Bib--let me know)... So, they do have that going against them. Just though I should clear the air on that.

Hate to tell you Yatzee, but naturally when you smoke marijuana there is more tar in it than in a regular cigarette (Maisto, et al., 2004--if you want the full Bib--let me know)... So, they do have that going against them. Just though I should clear the air on that.

Don't believe everything you read/hear.

Whatever this Maisto thing is, yes I would like it.

Wow Cheat, that was Deep...You've really made me think...

And to think my views were based soully on the pharmacology of the weed. *Chisoxy shakes her head in self-disgust and weeps*

Let the record show that I do NOT smoke pot... That was a work based in fiction.

Anyway, I voted a reserved yes. Implemented and controlled correctly the decriminalization of pot would more beneficial than harmful...

But right now it's time for bed. I've got a wicked buzz going.... I'll let this develop into a nice little flamewar tomorrow morning, and I chime back in sometime tomorrow afternoon to try and put it out with few educated remarks and box of baking powder.

Mari - juana is BAD mmmmmm OK. Personally I don't take drugs, only have an occasional smoke at a party now and then, but if there are more benefits than negatives to come out of this then yeah I'm for it. I'll always remember that Simpsons episode where Homer got high on marijuana I think afta he checked out from the hospital. Great Beavis impression there Cheat, I'd like to here his views more often. :lol:

can't sleep.... find ganga-related article...

(Some pot smoker)

Okay, I'm sorry, I have to comment on this article The Cheat. Thanks for bringing this up. I laughed so hard when I read this and it made my day.

First it's from the The Sun--which is probably about the National Enquirer of Britain. And second--you literally can't die from marijuana toxicity--because of the localization of cannabinoid receptors in the brain. Unless you're allergic to pot.

I'm not advocating smoking marijuana--but damn, I'm amazed by the ignorance of people!

Thanks for posting that The Cheat--I e-mailed it to my Pharmacology class and we'll all have a hardy laugh. You rule. And in now way am I implying that you rock the proverbial ganj.

all i have to say is hell mother f***ing yes, it would take it away from being a gayway drug from the people you meet. it would also give the government an insane amount of money from taxes and take money out of the hands of drug dealers. plus make it a hell of alot safer for the smokers they know it is laced. and i think it would become like booze, has a night time thing on ocasions.(granted there will be stoners just like there are alchoohalics) but it would has a much greater upside then down

Hate to tell you Yatzee, but naturally when you smoke marijuana there is more tar in it than in a regular cigarette (Maisto, et al., 2004--textbook for my Drugs, Brain and Behavior class, if you want the full Bib--let me know)... So, they do have that going against them. Just though I should clear the air on that.

yea but there is alot less poisons in it.

I am reminded of a bit by Lenny Bruce.

The heroin addict doing life sits with his cell mate who's also doing life. "I'm a heroin addict, I started smoking marijuana, a stepping stone, right to heroin. But what happened to you? There's blood on your hands, you murdered, you killed six kids in a craps game. (A true story) You're possessed with gambling, it's a disease with you. Who taught you this foul practice, where'd you learn it??"

"I started with bingo in the catholic church."

Okay, I'm sorry, I have to comment on this article The Cheat. Thanks for bringing this up. I laughed so hard when I read this and it made my day.

First it's from the The Sun--which is probably about the National Enquirer of Britain. And second--you literally can't die from marijuana toxicity--because of the localization of cannabinoid receptors in the brain. Unless you're allergic to pot.

I'm not advocating smoking marijuana--but damn, I'm amazed by the ignorance of people!

Thanks for posting that The Cheat--I e-mailed it to my Pharmacology class and we'll all have a hardy laugh. You rule. And in now way am I implying that you rock the proverbial ganj.

that is true you can not OD of weed(but you can die from alchool poisoning), but everyone is allergice to pot thats what makes you high its the same thing with alchoohol btw im really messed up on pain pills(doctor perscribed) so excuse me if i dont make any sense but make facts are strait

btw i havent even smoked weed for over 4 months now.

that is true you can not OD of weed(but you can die from alchool poisoning), but everyone is allergice to pot thats what makes you high its the same thing with alchoohol btw im really messed up on pain pills(doctor perscribed) so excuse me if i dont make any sense but make facts are strait

I haven't smoked weed for over 4 minutes now! :D

You are going to have to explain what you mean in saying that everyone is allergic to pot and that's why you get high. The pharmacokinetics of marijuana have nothing to do with allergic-type reactions -- histamine production etc. In fact, one of the non-psychoactive canabanoids in pot (Cannabidiol - CBD) is shown to be a potent anti-inflamatory agent with possible anti-histamine properties to boot.

As for Soxy noting more tar etc. in a joint versus a cigarette... that's true enough. IIRC there's about 10x the tar of cigs in a joint. But, while there are lots of 2 pack-a-day smokers, how many 4-joint a day (typical) users would you expect there to be? More than likely, average recreational use would be a couple joints a week.

More importantly, without nicotine, there is no physical addiction to pot, no addictive substance whose levels can be artificially manipulated by cigarette makers etc.

As for the legalization debate, the medical potential alone should be enough to get people out of the "reefer madness" paranoia, arresting prescribing doctors etc., and really discussing the issues instead. Marijuana is effectively used as an analgesic/pain management tool, anti-asthmatic, and anti-rheumatic. Off the top of my head, it is also used to treat glaucoma, dystonic movement disorders, Huntington's disease, epilepsy, Taurette's (sp?), certain psychoses... what else am I missing?

As for the legalization debate, the medical potential alone should be enough to get people out of the "reefer madness" paranoia, arresting prescribing doctors etc.,  and really discussing the issues instead.  Marijuana is effectively used as an analgesic/pain management tool, anti-asthmatic, and anti-rheumatic.  Off the top of my head, it is also used to treat glaucoma, dystonic movement disorders, Huntington's disease, epilepsy, Taurette's (sp?), certain psychoses... what else am I missing?

Anti-nauseau in AIDS and chemotherapy just off the top of my head...

And, also, there appears to be no withdrawl symptoms (physiological) for marijuana because of the long half-life and the way it is stored in the fatty tissue in the body and slowly released. Recent studies have also been debating the so-called cognitive impairments of marijuana as well (if you want to read a copy of hte findings let me know). So basically, it's a substance that there is no withdrawl, no physical dependence, no potential for overdose, AND has medical therapeutic uses...

I think that weed should be decriminalized, maybe cocaine too!

No one will convince me that a person who comes home from work and has 2-3 matinis, beers, glasses of wine, etc., will be healthier than a guy who comes home and takes a couple "hits".

Medical science has already proven the negative effects of alcohol on humans, there is not a lot of evidence of long-term negative efects from marijuana use.

Decriminalize it, tax the hell out of it like cigarettes and alcohol, and let the FDA put standards on it so there wouldn't be harmful additives, (like nicotine, D'oh!!!).

You are going to have to explain what you mean in saying that everyone is allergic to pot and that's why you get high.  The pharmacokinetics of marijuana have nothing to do with allergic-type reactions -- histamine production etc.  In fact, one of the non-psychoactive canabanoids in pot (Cannabidiol - CBD) is shown to be a potent anti-inflamatory agent with possible anti-histamine properties to boot.

As for Soxy noting more tar etc. in a joint versus a cigarette... that's true enough. IIRC there's about 10x the tar of cigs in a joint.  But, while there are lots of 2 pack-a-day smokers, how many 4-joint a day (typical) users would you expect there to be?  More than likely, average recreational use would be a couple joints a week.

More importantly, without nicotine, there is no physical addiction to pot, no addictive substance whose levels can be artificially manipulated by cigarette makers etc.

As for the legalization debate, the medical potential alone should be enough to get people out of the "reefer madness" paranoia, arresting prescribing doctors etc.,  and really discussing the issues instead.  Marijuana is effectively used as an analgesic/pain management tool, anti-asthmatic, and anti-rheumatic.  Off the top of my head, it is also used to treat glaucoma, dystonic movement disorders, Huntington's disease, epilepsy, Taurette's (sp?), certain psychoses... what else am I missing?

A brilliant posting!!!

Encore!

:notworthy :cheers :headbang

http://www.drugwarfacts.com/marijuan.htm

A Johns Hopkins study published in May 1999, examined marijuana's effects on cognition on 1,318 participants over a 15 year period. Researchers reported "no significant differences in cognitive decline between heavy users, light users, and nonusers of cannabis." They also found "no male-female differences in cognitive decline in relation to cannabis use." "These results ... seem to provide strong evidence of the absence of a long-term residual effect of cannabis use on cognition," they concluded.

http://www.drugwarfacts.com/medicalm.htm

http://www.drugwarfacts.com/marijuan.htm

A Johns Hopkins study published in May 1999, examined marijuana's effects on cognition on 1,318 participants over a 15 year period. Researchers reported "no significant differences in cognitive decline between heavy users, light users, and nonusers of cannabis." They also found "no male-female differences in cognitive decline in relation to cannabis use." "These results ... seem to provide strong evidence of the absence of a long-term residual effect of cannabis use on cognition," they concluded.

http://www.drugwarfacts.com/medicalm.htm

Exactly.