Decriminalization of Marijuana

Soxy

Should Marijuana be Decriminalized?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marijuana be Decriminalized?

• Yes
    • No
    • Damn, what was the question?

I have a similair PDF file I can e-mail to anyone interested, by a different group of researcher. But mine was done at Harvard. But damn, I quoted the wrong one--I meant to quote the cognitive effects one...

As for the cocain comment I4E, I have to disagree--the whole point is marijuana isn't addictive, has little/no withdrawl, and has therapeutic potential. And all of that is really sort of the opposite for cocaine. Yes, cocaine has analgesic properties, but it isn't worth the risk of addiction and it isn't worth using because of cocaine's short half life...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most importantly, above all else, what has EVER granted the federal government the power to outlaw ANY drug? This is a state's decision, not the fed's. The feds waste UNBELIEVABLE amounts of money on this "war on drugs" and yet drug use hasn't taken a hit in numbers. Look at California, I believe it was San Diego, where a medical marijuana grower/distributor was arrested by the feds DESPITE the fact that the state of California considered this grower/distributor's actions LEGAL. Where is the sovereignty of the state? We do live in a republic last time I checked, or did this change?

The "war on drugs", not just marijuana, is a despicable waste of tax payer money and is a truly illegal war. We're wasting money on agents and surveillance. We're wasting money on jails overcrowded with users and dealers. The madness must stop and true FREEDOM must exist. If the feds are going to spend taxpayer money to fight drug abuse then that money should go STRICTLY to a world class drug treatment program.

I don't smoke pot BTW, just a pissed off tax payer.

I have a similair PDF file I can e-mail to anyone interested, by a different group of researcher. But mine was done at Harvard. But damn, I quoted the wrong one--I meant to quote the cognitive effects one...

As for the cocain comment I4E, I have to disagree--the whole point is marijuana isn't addictive, has little/no withdrawl, and has therapeutic potential. And all of that is really sort of the opposite for cocaine. Yes, cocaine has analgesic properties, but it isn't worth the risk of addiction and it isn't worth using because of cocaine's short half life...

Cocaine's usage is a "victimless crime", and the drug itself needs to be regulated. There is too much crap being "cut" into it; if you use it, you don't really know what you're using, (baby laxative, rat poison, etc).

I think that if the government regulated it (am I being naive?) it would be safer for the users thereof.

Remember nicotine is highly addictive too!

You are going to have to explain what you mean in saying that everyone is allergic to pot and that's why you get high.  The pharmacokinetics of marijuana have nothing to do with allergic-type reactions -- histamine production etc.  In fact, one of the non-psychoactive canabanoids in pot (Cannabidiol - CBD) is shown to be a potent anti-inflamatory agent with possible anti-histamine properties to boot.

As for Soxy noting more tar etc. in a joint versus a cigarette... that's true enough. IIRC there's about 10x the tar of cigs in a joint.  But, while there are lots of 2 pack-a-day smokers, how many 4-joint a day (typical) users would you expect there to be?  More than likely, average recreational use would be a couple joints a week.

More importantly, without nicotine, there is no physical addiction to pot, no addictive substance whose levels can be artificially manipulated by cigarette makers etc.

As for the legalization debate, the medical potential alone should be enough to get people out of the "reefer madness" paranoia, arresting prescribing doctors etc.,  and really discussing the issues instead.  Marijuana is effectively used as an analgesic/pain management tool, anti-asthmatic, and anti-rheumatic.  Off the top of my head, it is also used to treat glaucoma, dystonic movement disorders, Huntington's disease, epilepsy, Taurette's (sp?), certain psychoses... what else am I missing?

i didnt mean the whole plant just the THC. and thats what makes you feel high, its not deadly to most but to some it is.

ive think cocaine is illegal for a reason it ruins peoples lives and when they dont have it they get enraged.

The criminalization of all drugs is completely absurd. While, of course, there can by no real figure, the illegal drug industry is one of the most profitable in the world. And all that money is going to urban street gangs, organized crime syndicates, shady police officers.

Why do you think drugs will never be legalized in America? There's too much money to be lost to the government by way of taxes.

Plus, if someone wants to get high, who gives a s***?

The criminalization of all drugs is completely absurd.  While, of course, there can by no real figure, the illegal drug industry is one of the most profitable in the world.  And all that money is going to urban street gangs, organized crime syndicates, shady police officers.

Why do you think drugs will never be legalized in America?  There's too much money to be lost to the government by way of taxes.

Plus, if someone wants to get high, who gives a s***?

The reason that drugs will never be decriminalized is that the Alcohol and Tobacco lobbies, who contribute MILLIONS to both political parties, won't let it happen.

You are right about the drug users...it's called "thinning the herd"...if you wanna be a coke fiend, and you OD and die...oh well!

I think that if the government regulated it (am I being naive?) it would be safer for the users thereof.

The problem with cocaine, and what makes it very different from marijuana in my opinion is

1.) It's short half life. The half life of cocaine is 30-90 minutes. Meaning you need another hit of it that often to maintain the high. (Compare that with the 30-50 hour half life of marijuana)

2.) Also there is something called cellular tolerance. This is what makes people need a higher dose of cocaine to get high. And it also is what makes people need cocaine to feel normal and lose pleasure in normal life. It has to do with neurotransmitters and receptors--you don't see this with marijuana.

3.) The overdose potential of cocaine also makes it a problem. All the laws in the world wouldn't stop people from overdosing on cocaine. It's honestly literally impossible to overdose and die from marijuana at one time.

So, I think it would be a horrible idea to legalize cocaine. The end.

The reason that drugs will never be decriminalized is that the Alcohol and Tobacco lobbies, who contribute MILLIONS to both political parties, won't let it happen.

You are right about the drug users...it's called "thinning the herd"...if you wanna be a coke fiend, and you OD and die...oh well!

And do you want to pay the medical and other associated bills of these guys because they have no jobs because they are too busy robbing people to pay for their coke habits? I don't.

Marijuana I can understand the arguements. Not sure that I agree, but I understand. The hardcore drugs, no way.

And do you want to pay the medical and other associated bills of these guys because they have no jobs because they are too busy robbing people to pay for their coke habits?  I don't.

Marijuana I can understand the arguements.  Not sure that I agree, but I understand.  The hardcore drugs, no way.

Um, you don't just give them out for free. The US would still make a small fortune if they legalized drugs, put a nice tax on them, and offered clinics.

Um, you don't just give them out for free.  The US would still make a small fortune if they legalized drugs, put a nice tax on them, and offered clinics.

I know you don't give them for free, but if you look at how successful our alcohol laws have been in general (think about DUI deaths, medical costs, auto insurance costs, families destroyed etc) do you really think the federal government could handle managing a much more destructive substance than alcohol?

I know you don't give them for free, but if you look at how successful our alcohol laws have been in general (think about DUI deaths, medical costs, auto insurance costs, families destroyed etc) do you really think the federal government could handle managing a much more destructive substance than alcohol?

No one has ever proved that marijuana or (pure) cocaine is more destructive than alcohol.

But we know the dangers of alcohol and cigarettes, and they are both legal!

Do you think cigarettes would have been legal if they had known the health ramifications that long ago? Why should the government subsidize people who want to kill themselves, which is exactly what people who drink too much, and addicted to heavy drugs are doing. Even Marijuana has been proven to be a much higher cancer causing agent than cigarettes, by a factor of about 20-1, in some studies. Who pays for these peoples hospital bills when they can't work anymore? That's right you and I do.

Do you think cigarettes would have been legal if they had known the health ramifications that long ago?  Why should the government subsidize people who want to kill themselves, which is exactly what people who drink too much, and addicted to heavy drugs are doing.  Even Marijuana has been proven to be a much higher cancer causing agent than cigarettes, by a factor of about 20-1, in some studies.  Who pays for these peoples hospital bills when they can't work anymore?  That's right you and I do.

But we know the dangers of cigarettes NOW, and we aren't criminalizing them!

The problem with cocaine, and what makes it very different from marijuana in my opinion is

1.) It's short half life. The half life of cocaine is 30-90 minutes. Meaning you need another hit of it that often to maintain the high. (Compare that with the 30-50 hour half life of marijuana)

2.) Also there is something called cellular tolerance. This is what makes people need a higher dose of cocaine to get high. And it also is what makes people need cocaine to feel normal and lose pleasure in normal life. It has to do with neurotransmitters and receptors--you don't see this with marijuana.

3.) The overdose potential of cocaine also makes it a problem. All the laws in the world wouldn't stop people from overdosing on cocaine. It's honestly literally impossible to overdose and die from marijuana at one time.

So, I think it would be a horrible idea to legalize cocaine. The end.

um weed tolerance increases has well, and ive never had a high that lasted 30-50 hours. but i can guarantee there is no withdrawl from weed. i smoked up to a quarter of an ounce a day, and quit instanley 4 months ago. ODING on coke is possible but i've never seen anyone do it, besides in movies people are generally smart enough noadays about there drugs.