Touchy Subject

YASNY

The following was from the "Quick Hits" column at the Sun Times website. I just going to post it here for informational purposes. Let the chips fall where they may.

Mark Buehrle is in at least midseason offseason form.

The White Sox pitcher--who last year was honored by the St. Louis baseball writers (he is a native of St. Charles, Mo.) and hinted he would like to play for the Cardinals--was honored again this year and hinted again.

In his acceptance speech, in which he thanked his parents for driving to see him at Comiskey Park, he said: "I know St. Louis is a lot closer. We'll try to work on that.''

And the Cardinals always can use a young left-hander, especially one who has gone 19-12 and 16-8 the last two seasons.

"I know there's no one at this [head] table who would ever nab me for tampering and tell you that you will be in a St. Louis uniform when your contract status allows,'' Cardinals manager Tony La Russa kiddingly told the crowd.

La Russa tried to say some of his words were "off the record,'' but, as veteran St. Louis scribe Rick Hummel noted, the event was on live radio.

YSNY: OMG this is scary. I pretty much feel Mark is wanting out of Chicago, but to see these printed words is even more shocking. Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know the exact rules for "tampering" with a player that's under contract with another team?

Did what La Russa say break this "tampering" rule? For some reason I've never liked La Russa. For one thing, he just looks like a crabby guy that very rarely smiles & seems to have a superior feeling attitude.

I know he was a White Sox manager a few years ago in, I think, the 1980's. I didn't start watching White Sox baseball until about 1990.

YSNY:  OMG this is scary.  I pretty much feel Mark is wanting out of Chicago, but to see these printed words is even more shocking.  Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know the exact rules for "tampering" with a player that's under contract with another team?

Did what La Russa say break this "tampering" rule?  For some reason I've never liked La Russa.  For one thing, he just looks like a crabby guy that very rarely smiles & seems to have a superior feeling attitude.

I know he was a White Sox manager a few years ago in, I think, the 1980's.  I didn't start watching White Sox baseball until about 1990.

i dont think it can be called tampering because buehrle was the one who made the first comment about playing there...then the reporters went after larussa to get his thoughts on the issue....if it went down this way larussa was the last person to say anything...plus he is a lawyer..im sure he understands whats tampering and whats not better than most lawyers...

MB is at a baseball fuinction, which I understand was not a Cards thing but a writers gala - and makes a quip to his family. I don't put too much stock in that. If he was sending a message to KW, so be it, after what KW did to MB. As for LaRussa's comment on tampering, I wonder if that doesn't give us a clue to context - that it was clearly a funny quip from MB and not some serious overture to the Cards.

That is a scary comment, but I'm still holding out that he will want to come back with the Sox. We still got him for a couple more years, and until he leaves I'm going to just watch and enjoy the Sox and enjoy how he pitches.

I think Baggs mentioned how you never know whose going to be in management and whose going to own the Sox 4 years from now.

There just ain't any loyalty anymore!!!!

Loyalty - from whom to whom?

The Sox via KW have treated MB with no loyalty, no respect. MB has opitched as well as is possible for us despite that. If there were loyalty in baseball, KW wouldn't have screwed MB over the $15,000 last season nor offered the identical contract (barely over the league minimum) to MB again.

Loyalty has to be a 2 way street. It would be great for KW to show MB some loyalty.

Guest hotsoxchick1

you all are getting worked up over nothing but a few words which by the way, were spoken last year at the same function ........can you blame mark for wanting to go 1. back home 2. to a team which will treat him with the loyality he deserves 3. the hell away from kw.........mark does his job and does it well... he didnt let the kw slap in the face from last year (cutting 15,000 $$) get him down.. he went out pitched his ass off and the best kw can do is come back at him with the same offer as the previous season? f*** him who the hell does kw think he is embarrassing sox fans like that??? treat our ace like s*** after all hes done for the team....its a disgrace to us and to our players......no wonder why everyones not beating down our doors to come play here...........

you all are getting worked up over nothing but a few words which by the way, were spoken last year at the same function ........can you blame mark for wanting to go 1. back home 2. to a team which will treat him with the loyality he deserves 3. the hell away from kw.........mark does his job and does it well... he didnt let the kw slap in the face from last year (cutting 15,000 $$) get him down.. he went out pitched his ass off and the best kw can do is come back at him with the same offer as the previous season? f*** him who the hell does kw think he is embarrassing sox fans like that??? treat our ace like s*** after all hes done for the team....its a disgrace to us and to our players......no wonder why everyones not beating down our doors to come play here...........

Can you blame him for wanting to leave, go home, go to a better team? No. Can you blame him for making that clear in earshot of the media? Yes. It just stirs things up for no reason.

Its still a scary thought losing our ACE no matter what. I just read the article about Buerhle wanting to play for the Cardinals since last year on the Tribune. There's a quote there that Buerhle talked to Walt Jocketty that they should get him to St. Louis no matter what bcoz he would really love to play for the Cards. Hope he stays...

He's just sayin' this to cause trouble and maybe make some of the guys in the Sox front office s*** their pants.  He's still under contract with us until 2006 and by then his arm will have probably have fallen off anyways.  No harm, no foul.

Now there is an upbeat thought. Maybe we can trade him to Gord Ash for some talent!

I really like Buehrle but some of his comments make me wonder. I know the organization has treated him like s*** but I wish he wouldn't keep saying things like that. Speaking of, here is a link to some more stuff if people are interested.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ome%2Dheadlines

Some quotes from Mark at the bottom.

I really like Buehrle but some of his comments make me wonder.  I know the organization has treated him like s*** but I wish he wouldn't keep saying things like that.  Speaking of, here is a link to some more stuff if people are interested. 

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ome%2Dheadlines

Some quotes from Mark at the bottom.

2 one line quips in 2 years is hardly the mouthing off of a malcontent.

How many other pro athletes would have gone on extended public tantrums last year - or this year?

Given it all, MB has said very, very little.

MB will NEVER sign a long term deal with SOX, he will go to STL 1st chance he gets. :angry:

NEVER say NEVER....

"The White Sox will NEVER get Bartolo Colon..."

"They'll NEVER reach an agreement before the strike..."

:nono

DonkeyKongerko, Milwaukee doesn't have any talent that I want....unless you want Royce Clayton and Todd Ritchie again   :D

I'll take Ben Sheets

For Buehrle? Make them throw in some other good prospects as well...and Royce Clayton and Todd Ritchie are not prospects.

No, I was just responding to a player I'd take in Milwalkee.

If I were giong to deal Buerhle(Throw in Rowand), I'd ask for Matt Morris and JD Drew.

DonkeyKongerko, Milwaukee doesn't have any talent that I want....unless you want Royce Clayton and Todd Ritchie again   :D

I'll take Ben Sheets

For Buehrle? Make them throw in some other good prospects as well...and Royce Clayton and Todd Ritchie are not prospects.

No, I was just responding to a player I'd take in Milwalkee.

If I were giong to deal Buerhle(Throw in Rowand), I'd ask for Matt Morris and JD Drew.

Oh ok....gotcha.

How about we throw in Lee instead of Rowand and get Morris and Pujols!