The Yankees new line-up

Jordan4life_2007

With the A-rod trade pretty much a done deal I was thinking is this the greatest offensive line-up ever assembled? Lofton, Jeter, Sheffield, A-rod, Giambi, Matsui, B-Williams, Posada...I'm not sure who the 2nd basemen is gonna be, but who f***in cares. Hell, by June the Yanks will proably add Bret Boone to play 2nd base and give up a couple of minor leaguers. Tell me what you guys think...

Here's the way they broke it down on SportsCenter:

Lofton CF

Jeter SS

Rodriguez 3B

Giambi 1B

Sheffield RF

Williams DH

Matsui LF

Posada C

Wilson 2B

That's a fairly massive offensive attack, and Nick Johnson's on the bench.

Not bad, but again, the starting pitching is thin and they don't have much left to trade for more pitching.

That's where their weakness lies.

Of course, they can always just BUY more, right??? :puke

Kevin Brown IF healthy.  When was the last time he pitched a full season.  And I still wanna see how Vasquez for one pitches in the more offensive minded al.  And I wanna see how he handles the pressure of pitching in NY...

Kevin Brown made 32 starts in '03 so he just had a complete season. As for Vasquez, you never know how a guy will handle pressure but I wouldn't consider that much of an issue and he has good enough stuff where he will fine in the AL.

ok, lets be insanely optimistic. how does this look

Lofton CF - how many more years does he have. last year he finished with a .352 ob%, but only after a strong second half... he should be around .330 this year, which isn't that great in the lead off spot.

Jeter SS- power numbers, and stolen bases have gone down. he did hit well, but his walks are going down, will turn 30 in june. he will start going downhill.

Rodriguez 3B- ok well nothing bad here.

Giambi 1B - can he play the field and not get injured. i don't think so. nagging injuries will limit his at bats.

Sheffield RF - pretty solid, but turned 35 in november. career .928 ops, maggs is .979. i'd take maggs.

Williams DH - numbers were going down before the injury last year. also turned 35. the dh will help him, but how much?

Matsui LF - wasn't bad last year. but i wouldn't call this year a sure thing, i think last year was as good as it gets. also he seemed to tire towards the end of the year.

Posada C - last year was a career year in several categories. plenty of reason to think he'll go back to normal. is 32, 33 in august. catchers seem to have trouble with numbers and staying healthy after 34.

Wilson 2B - enrique wilson

also in the rotation they have kevin brown, who is very injury prone, and mussina, who is good but can't seem to step up and become the dominant pitcher he needs to be...

hey, i can be optimistic right?

Money doesnt buy championships though. Just ask the Marlins, Angels, or Diamondbacks. Championships are won on the field not on paper. I see a potential implosion between Jeter and A Rod if they somehow dont win.

i'm gonna have to agree with you... you never know what will happen.. thats why they all play 162 games. i really think there is a huge potential for melt down. their bench is pretty thin, and their farm system is too. how do you think poor enrique wilson feels?

Money doesnt buy championships though. Just ask the Marlins, Angels, or Diamondbacks. Championships are won on the field not on paper. I see a potential implosion between Jeter and A Rod if they somehow dont win.

I agree to an extent that anything can happen. However, you can't say that having that lineup doesn't give them the best chance possible. I really don't know how people can ever claim themselves as true Yankee fans. I think it has to be much more satisfying to win a world series as the Marlins and Angels just did. Just about everyone on those teams came from their farm systems, and it wasn't really a fake and assembled "dream" team.