Pujols close to 100 million dollar deal

aboz56

ESPN.com news services

The St. Louis Cardinals are close to signing Albert Pujols to a seven-year contract for about $100 million, according to a baseball official with knowledge of the negotiations, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports.

Pujols is scheduled for a Friday arbitration hearing, but the deal is expected to be announced before then.

Brian Walton of thestlcardinals.com first reported that the two sides had a tentative deal Wednesday morning. A baseball official confirmed the report for ESPN.com.

Pujols, who won his first NL batting title and finished second in MVP balloting behind Barry Bonds in 2003, said in January he wanted a long-term contract.

The left fielder batted .359 with 43 home runs and 124 RBIs in 2003. He has a career .334 batting average.

"You try to get what you deserve and that's what I want. I've taken care of my business in the field the last three years and hopefully I get treated respectfully, that's all I ask for," Pujols said in January at the team's annual fan fest.

Pujols is an 1050-1100 OPS player.

His defense in LF is really bad.

He is slow and will be slower still as he ages.

Cardinals's payroll is around 75 Mill.

14 Mill (17% of the entire payroll) a year is probably what he is worth, intristically speaking.

He sells jerseys, put fans in seats and probably positively affects the TV deal.

But 100 Mill? Man, that is a risky proposition for a non-Yankee team. He better not be diving for line drives or sliding head first in the next 7 years. :lol:

This signing don't means THANG when it comes to Magglio's demands. If he has a 2002-type year in 2004, he'll ask for 5/75. If he has a 2001-type year, he'll still ask for 4/52 at least.

Who has ever gotten a big contract based on speed and defense??

Over 162 games, it lowers his value.

That drop against the Cubs, for example, cost them two games (that game and next one thanks to a burned BP) and basically the whole season with it. One play.

Again...AP goes from the best bargain in baseball to being no bargain at all. He is only 24.

And didn't Rickey Henderson become the first man to break a 3 Mill barrier in the early 90s? Just saying. :P

Over 162 games, it lowers his value. 

That drop against the Cubs, for example,  cost them two games (that game and next one thanks to a burned BP) and basically the whole season with it.  One play. 

Again...AP goes from the best bargain in baseball to being no bargain at all.  He is only 24.

And didn't Rickey Henderson become the first man to break a 3 Mill barrier in the early 90s? Just saying. :P

Oh C'mon! ... How many games did the Cardinals win specifically because of Pujols? You focus on two games on the negative side of the equation when, I'm sure, the scales would be very heavily leaning in the other direction.

Pujols is the best player in the national league besides Bonds and will be the best for the rest of his contract....

Yes, and he got what he was worth.

And if he could field or run, he'd be making 18 Mill.

He is no longer a great bargain to have and takes up a big chunk of a Cardinal payroll.

Which is fine....as long as he stays healthy. 7 years is a long time and he doesn't have a luxury of DH'ing. With his unathletic body.....we shall see.

That is all.

That drop against the Cubs, for example,  cost them two games (that game and next one thanks to a burned BP) and basically the whole season with it.  One play. 

I thought the Cardinals won the second game of that doubleheader when Pujols was SAID to have dropped that flyball ( he did not drop it - I was there - with my Cardinals hockey jersey on :headbang ). Coulda sworn that the Cards won the next game from some call the Cub fans said was bulls***.

Could be wrong, I left halfway through game 2....I'm not a fan of doubleheaders, at least not in person - too much for one day.

In case it wasn't posted, it's official. And some news about Griffey.. and Soriano - of the Rangers :rolleyes:

Pujols Signs $100M Deal With Cardinals

Thu Feb 19, 3:51 AM ET Add Sports - AP to My Yahoo!

By BEN WALKER, AP Baseball Writer

While Greg Maddux, Ivan Rodriguez and Ken Griffey Jr. checked into camp, Albert Pujols made the biggest splash at spring training.

The St. Louis Cardinals (news) banked on their slugger for the future, reaching agreement with Pujols on a $100 million, seven-year contract Wednesday, a source told The Associated Press.

Pujols was scheduled for a salary arbitration hearing Friday — he was asking for $10.5 million and the team offered $7 million. Instead, the sides settled, according to the source, who was familiar with the negotiations and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

At 24, Pujols led the major leagues in hitting at .359 last year. He hit 43 home runs with 124 RBIs and topped the majors with 51 doubles.

Pujols finished second behind Barry Bonds in voting for the NL MVP award. He made $950,000 last year.

The deal came two days before the Cardinals opened camp in Jupiter, Fla.

Maddux reported to the Chicago Cubs (news)' camp in Mesa, Ariz., and was thrilled to rejoin the team.

"It's a privilege to have the chance to come back and play in Chicago," he said. "I spent nine great years here when I first started, and I never forgot that.

"I'm just glad this day has come again where I have chance to come back and finish where I started," he said.

The Cubs officially announced Maddux's deal as they opened spring training in Mesa, Ariz. The four-time Cy Young winner signed a $24 million, three-year contract.

Maddux, who turns 38 in April, will get an opportunity to earn his 300th career victory with the Cubs. He needs 11 more wins to reach the mark.

"As great a story as it is, it's really about the fact that Greg Maddux can still win a lot of baseball games," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "It's a feel-good story, but it's a story based on Greg making us a better ballclub."

Rodriguez, who helped guide a young Florida Marlins (news) team to a World Series (news - web sites) championship last season, will work out Thursday at Detroit's camp in Lakeland, Fla.

"Having Pudge on board gives us instant credibility," manager Alan Trammell said. "He's a marquee player, and when people say 'Tigers' they think of Pudge now."

The All-Star catcher tried on his uniform and looked over his gear.

"It's going to be the same as last year, learning the new pitchers, giving them some confidence," he said.

Griffey showed up at Cincinnati's camp in Sarasota, Fla., hoping to have a productive and full year. His last three seasons have ended with an injury.

"I'll do some little things," he said. "They say they're going to take it easy on me."

Newly acquired Alfonso Soriano was in the news, too. The Texas Rangers (news) said Soriano, obtained in the trade for Alex Rodriguez, was two years older than his listed age.

Soriano is 28, not 26.

The Rangers said they knew the two-time All-Star's correct age before getting him.

"The Yankees were up front. Our people were fully aware of how old he was," Rangers spokesman Gregg Elkin said. "Without a question, that was the information we had."

If I hear one more player say they deserve these millions of dollars for playing a game, I swear I am going to Arizona and Florida during spring training to b****-slap all of them.  :bang  :lolhitting

Seriously though, that's one huge load of cash.

I'll be visiting the Yankees camp next month.. I'll get a couple swipes at ARod for ya.. :lol:

I thought the Cardinals won the second game of that doubleheader when Pujols was SAID to have dropped that flyball ( he did not drop it - I was there - with my Cardinals hockey jersey on  :headbang ). Coulda sworn that the Cards won the next game from some call the Cub fans said was bulls***.

Could be wrong, I left halfway through game 2....I'm not a fan of doubleheaders, at least not in person - too much for one day.

It was like this:

--Cards are winning late by two runs.

--Momo Pujols drops the routine flyball.

--The game ends up tied up, goes deep into extra innings

--Cards' already s***ty BP sees its two best relievers needlessly burned

--Next day Cards squander a 6-0 lead in the 7th after the had to resort to using their worst relivers.

Two games on that one drop. A 4-game swing in the standing. Beginning of the end for the Cards who would have been up by 1.5 games had they rightfully won both games. What's more, Cubs would not be in the playoffs. No playoff money gravy. No national buzz. No Hawkins. No Maddux. Same 80 Mill payroll. No chance in 2004. And so on.

If their absolutely s***ty defense wasn't enough, neither Renteria and especially Pujols and Rolen hit in that 5-game series. I am talking about bases loaded/1 out, etc. :fyou