Naming rights deal Done

Mr. Showtime

This was posted on the Trib's website at 5:49 PM CST:

Comiskey Park will be renamed U.S. Cellular Field under a $68 million, 20-year naming rights deal between the White Sox and the Chicago-based wireless phone company, sources said this evening.

EDIT: whitesox.com has it up on the main page, its' a done deal folks.

This was posted on the Trib's website at 5:49 PM CST:

Comiskey Park will be renamed U.S. Cellular Field under a $68 million, 20-year naming rights deal between the White Sox and the Chicago-based wireless phone company, sources said this evening.

i just saw that myself. what a crock of s***.

Are they dumping the name Comiskey all together?  I'm hoping that stays in there somehow.

Now I want to see that homer porch there by the start of next season.

Here's more of the story:

It also helps that Comiskey is hosting this year's All-Star game, which would give any naming-rights sponsor bonus exposure. A source said that the All-Star tie-in was a key in attracting U.S. Cellular.

Executives with the White Sox have been attempting to sell the naming rights to the park for several years and have had negotiations with Ameritech, now SBC Communications Inc., and Motorola Inc. in the past.

Both companies passed on a deal.

Team owner Jerry Reinsdorf had promised the Comiskey family that if the team sold the naming rights to a corporate sponsor, the team would find a way to honor the Comiskey name.

Any agreement would have to be approved by the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, which owns Comiskey.

White Sox executives have indicated that if a naming-rights deal is struck, proceeds from the deal would go toward renovating the upper deck and improving sight lines for fans. Reportedly, any major renovation to the upper deck could cost up to $30 million.

I dunno, Comiskey was built very cheap when it comes to a new stadium. I think it was like 85 million or something or maybe it was 135 million. Either way, after all these renovations, it still will be way cheaper then almost all the new parks that were built.

Camden Yards was another cheap park. One was 85 mill the other was 135, maybe someone with a better memory then me can tell me which is which.

That's a good way to think about it. It still sounds stupid to me, "U.S. Cellular Filed" I think that is the worst name in pro sports.  Although I've only been there twice, as a 16 year old from Salem Oregon, I like the Comiskey name.

salem oregon???...im finding more sox fans from oregon...used to live in harrisburg myself and work in salem at national photocopy ...couldnt find one when i lived there :D

You guys are talking about renovations now but all we are getting is $3 million per year. Is that really going to help us that much? It should at least be US Cellular Park not Field. I wish we could've signed a company with a name that sounds like a ballpark name.

We are now just your basic, run of the mill ballpark....we don't have a name that sticks out(US Cellular....that's pretty bland), it's not near the longest name of a ballpark(The Ballpark in Arlington, Network Associates Collisieum), you can't use it's name as an acronym(ie, the BOB...unless you want it to sound like we're named after USC)...I guess the only positive that comes out of this is the fact that the Sox will get $68 million or whatever it is over 3-years.....that's a s***load of money.

I am still going to refer to it as Comiskey anyways....US Cellular Field will never catch on for me....it isn't catchy enough....the name has 6 syllables total....and nothing in the name sticks out...it is very bland.....it just bugs me how boring that frickin name is. Atleast if it were SBC Communications or Motorola, it wouldn't be just plain boring like that....I mean, US is short for United States, and we all knew that....and Cellular is a very generic and general word....I wish Motorola would have atleast bought the naming rights....Motorola Park or Motorola Field doesn't have a bad ring to it....Motorola Stadium...something like that is something I would have liked more.

Atleast we get a b****load of money along with it.