Billy Koch Saves

Butter Parque

How many saves will Billy Koch get this season?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How many saves will Billy Koch get this season?

• 0-10
    • 11-20
    • 21-30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • Over 50

Regardless how many he gets, it has to get much better than last year. My official

name for him last year was "The Human Warning Track" because every time he pitched, that is where the ball wound up.....or even farther!!

ya it always seemed liked everytime he pitched u knew he was gonna give up a homerun.

Yep. Didn't get over 91 today. Controlled though. But it is only ST...

From the Cubune:

The Sox had Koch throwing consistently between 90-93 m.p.h. Friday and he touched 94 a couple of times. After getting the first hitter to fly out to left, Koch struck out the last two.

From the Cubune:

I thought it was very interestin was Billy Beane said to him when he was in Oakland.

"Beane was like, 'Why did I trade for you? You're only throwing 92,'" Koch recalled. "I said, 'All right, watch me the next time out.' I threw 94, then 96, then 98, then 100."

It's not just his velocity last year that killed him. His ball is "flat" with very little movement, and if he's not throwing it 94 +, it looks awfully enticing to hitters. He has to rely on blowing it past guys, rather than expecting his pitches dart or dip.

Did he lose any weight when he joined the Sox? Perhaps he went on the Barry Bonds - Jason Giambi diet plan?

His returning to 2002 form was key in my thinking we could actually do something this year.

I thought it was very interestin was Billy Beane said to him when he was in Oakland.

"Beane was like, 'Why did I trade for you? You're only throwing 92,'" Koch recalled. "I said, 'All right, watch me the next time out.' I threw 94, then 96, then 98, then 100."

i saw that and was just wondering if koch's continually trying to and throwing harder and faster in 2002 was what gave him his 2003 troubles? :huh

if he hits his spots he should be pretty effective.

40 saves would be very nice outta billy, and would silence all his critics here in chicago.

If we were coming into this season from the 2002 season, we would be easily favorited with just the guys we have. Frank, Mags, and CLee are knowns...what says Kong won't be back?...Crede is going to be a machine...Borchard may step it up...Jose isn't as bad as everyone says he is...etc. I really like this team, and think we will do very well.

Can anyone comment on the role of muscle mass and velocity? For example, if a pitcher was able to work out longer and harder, could it improve his velocity? Or is it a natural gift that can't really be improved?