Marvin Bernard Calf Injury

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i've seen so far i'd really be happy with valenzuela too... so if bernard doesnt bounce back here (which i'm actually hoping for) then i hope borch or mario get put up there. I think they both have a good shot.

If Bernard isn't healthy, I expect Valenzuela to get the 4th OF spot. Borchard is considered a top prospect(top 10 in the organization still), so they will want to see if he can develop into a good power hitter, and Reed absolutely will not be a 4th OFer with us, leaving us with basically no other choice then Valenzuela.

Part of me hopes Valenzuela gets it. I would love to see what he can do at the major league level, even if it is just as a 4th OFer.

If Bernard isn't healthy, I expect Valenzuela to get the 4th OF spot.  Borchard is considered a top prospect(top 10 in the organization still), so they will want to see if he can develop into a good power hitter, and Reed absolutely will not be a 4th OFer with us, leaving us with basically no other choice then Valenzuela. 

Part of me hopes Valenzuela gets it.  I would love to see what he can do at the major league level, even if it is just as a 4th OFer.

i also want to see what valenzuela can do at the major league level. i think he has the potential to succeed but he needs a chance and this is a great one.

Why is that? That there are no lefty 3rd baseman is all about old school thinking and laziness on the part of coaching staffs and nothing to do with actually playing the position.

Excuse me, UNS, but what are you smoking? There is a very good reason there are no LH 3B.

From the article on the Sox website (linked in another thread) it sounds as if Gload, Borchard, Valenzuela (I mentioned him) or Bernard will win one spot. Kelly Dransfeldt, Bobby Smith or a third catcher (Burke or Riviera) will get the other spot.

There is some sense in that since Harris can also play the OF. Going with another infielder will give them more flexibility and not make Uribe back up 2B, SS and 3B.

Not sure it will go down that way, but I could see how it can make sense. I'd hate to have one infielder to cover all three positions.

From the article on the Sox website (linked in another thread) it sounds as if Gload, Borchard, Valenzuela (I mentioned him) or Bernard will win one spot.  Kelly Dransfeldt, Bobby Smith or a third catcher (Burke or Riviera) will get the other spot.

There is some sense in that since Harris can also play the OF.  Going with another infielder will give them more flexibility and not make Uribe back up 2B, SS and 3B.

Not sure it will go down that way, but I could see how it can make sense.  I'd hate to have one infielder to cover all three positions.

If that's the case, and it sounds about right, my vote goes for Gload and Burke. Uribe can take the pinch hitting responsibilities when coming off the bench. Gload can be the fourth outfielder. Burke can cover third when need be, and be a third catcher.

Yes and I gave two.  :D  :D  :D

That there are no lefty 3rd baseman is all about old school thinking and laziness on the part of coaching staffs and nothing to do with actually playing the position.

Still waiting on an actual good reason rather.

I'll help you hear by letting you know why there are no LH 3B and why sometimes "old school thinking" actually makes sense after 130 or so years.

A left-hander at 3B cannot make the throws necessary to play the position. He would be throwing against his body on any play other than one going to his left. There is no way a lefty can make throws charging bunts, and he could not make throws to second fast enough to turn a DP.

So if you can explain to me how that is laziness and follow it up with a reason why those things don't matter, perhaps I'll listen. It might just be easier to put down the bottle and get some rest though. :)

That there are no lefty 3rd baseman is all about old school thinking and laziness on the part of coaching staffs and nothing to do with actually playing the position.

I'll help you hear by letting you know why there are no LH 3B and why sometimes "old school thinking" actually makes sense after 130 or so years.

A left-hander at 3B cannot make the throws necessary to play the position.  He would be throwing against his body on any play other than one going to his left.  There is no way a lefty can make throws charging bunts, and he could not make throws to second fast enough to turn a DP. 

So if you can explain to me how that is laziness and follow it up with a reason why those things don't matter, perhaps I'll listen.  It might just be easier to put down the bottle and get some rest though.  :)

That's just lazy not to teach him to throw right handed.

A left-hander at 3B cannot make the throws necessary to play the position.  He would be throwing against his body on any play other than one going to his left.  There is no way a lefty can make throws charging bunts, and he could not make throws to second fast enough to turn a DP. 

So if you can explain to me how that is laziness and follow it up with a reason why those things don't matter, perhaps I'll listen.  It might just be easier to put down the bottle and get some rest though.  :)

LOL! Spoken like a true righty. :D :D :D

Yeah, that's exactly why I said it would be funny. He'd have to adjust for every single throw. Obviously a lefty could play 3B, it just wouldn't be a very good idea.

Sorry dude. I'm just saying dont judge a man's abilities. I totally agree about him getting time in AAA because he is the future. I'd still rather see him or Mario than Borchard on the team. Again my apologies. :)

Jeez, I was just thinking that I would like to see Borchard make the team as the 4th OF'er. He seems to be coming around as a hitter versus a free swinger. What's your idea why Joe shouldn't be with the team? Is it simply because he might need more time in AAA? Reed should plan on AAA this year just becasue he needs to develop and prove himself and improve himself. Joe can play all 3 positions and I think would get some good playing time under Ozzie.

QUOTE (upnorthsox @ Mar 8 2004, 01:54 PM)

Yes and I gave two.

A left-hander at 3B cannot make the throws necessary to play the position. He would be throwing against his body on any play other than one going to his left. There is no way a lefty can make throws charging bunts, and he could not make throws to second fast enough to turn a DP.

So if you can explain to me how that is laziness and follow it up with a reason why those things don't matter, perhaps I'll listen. It might just be easier to put down the bottle and get some rest though.

Plus the fact that most lefties would be throwing a curve ball or some other junk to first base! As I said before they are left out of the right world. :lol:

He seems to be coming around as a hitter versus a free swinger. What's your idea why Joe shouldn't be with the team? Is it simply because he might need more time in AAA? Reed should plan on AAA this year just becasue he needs to develop and prove himself and improve himself. Joe can play all 3 positions and I think would get some good playing time under Ozzie.

Wrong. Joe is going to be a great power hitter one day, but that's all I can see him being. He will be a free singer, have a ton of strikeouts, but will smash about 30-40 hrs. I don't think he'll have he average or walk total Reed will. Reed needs more time in AAA yes, but Borchard still has yet to figure it out. Mario V. has put on some consistant springs for us. I hope he makes the team. I rather see Reed get some at-bats in the bigs, but it'll be better for him to play regularly in AAA. Borchard should join him if he struggles as well.

i read in the daily hearld today that ozzie said something about Bernard it was something along the lines of "i havent gotten a chance to see him yet, but he wont be on my team this year. He needs to start thinking about his future or something" i saw this and realized what kind of opportunity this creates for Borchard and Mario V.

my apologies if this was already posted