If you could be...

Xero

What would you do? Would you leave the team the same or trade some players?

There is no way we can survive with Harris leading off. What is it about 250 OBP that tickles everyone's fancy?

If you think Jose is bad against the lefties (he was excellent in spring training against them, but now is simply way too greedy, chases everything), wait until you see Harris.

Uribe can't start at SS and 2B at the same time. Orioles were almost giving Roberts away for free. A smart, ego-in-check GM jumps on the opportunity to improve the ballclub.

KW will sit on his ass and on the eve of his firing it will dawn upon him that had he not been protecting his little pet projects and "bargains" like Harris, Uribe, Adkins, Koch, White and Shoenweiss, the team would have won in 2003 AND would be the best team in the divsion this year.

There is no way we can survive with Harris leading off.  What is it about 250 OBP that tickles everyone's fancy?

If you think Jose is bad against the lefties (he was excellent in spring training against them, but now is simply way too greedy, chases everything), wait until you see Harris.

Uribe can't start at SS and 2B at the same time. Orioles were almost giving Roberts away for free.  A smart, ego-in-check GM jumps on the opportunity to improve the ballclub.   

KW will sit on his ass and on the eve of his firing it will dawn upon him that had he not been protecting his little pet projects and "bargains" like Harris, Uribe, Adkins, Koch, White and Shoenweiss, the team would have won in 2003 AND would be the best team in the divsion this year.

WAYYYYYYYY too early to jump on Willie Harris right now. The season is 2 gms old and he's only played in 1 of them...Give him atleast a solid month before u come to the conclusion that he stinks...As far as what I would do. I would go get another starter. Other than that. I'm fine with this team for now.

Oh no you didn't...not a wise choice my friend. Get comfortable, you could be in for a ride. :D

For starters, I would trade for a lefty power hitter. Whether it be Cliff Floyd(who would be the most attractive player, however, he does have a no-trade clause, and I'm not sure who he can veto a trade to). If he is not an option, I would trade probably end up trading for Tino Martinez or Randall Simon, or maybe even wait until the trade deadline and wait for another team to fall out of contention(maybe see if Toronto falls out and trade for Delgado...that would be my first choice), maybe look for a better leadoff hitter, or at the very least, a better 2Bman(I'd take Spivey or Vidro, also, you have to look at Marcus Giles as a possible option if Atlanta falls out, but we'd have to overpay, and Atlanta would have to fall out...both are unattractive and unlikely...another possibility is Alfonso Soriano in Texas, but that is in the same boat as Atlanta, though Texas will not contend...we'd almost undoubtedly have to give up Cotts, and probably Diaz and/or Rauch too, along with another solid prospect...I would do it though). Catcher, SS, and 3B are fine(however, if possible, you could try and convince Jose to move to 2B if necessary and then that opens up more possibilities too. If he does accept the option of moving to 2B if necessary, Orlando Cabrera becomes an option, and if St. Louis drops out, Edgar Renteria is also an option, however, he is in the same boat as Soriano and Giles. Catcher could be upgraded, but I'm not sure who would become available that would actually help us a lot(Olivo is here for the cannon attached to his body, also known as his right arm, and we basically have him to hit .250-.260 with solid power numbers, maybe 10 homers or so...if we could get IRod and have Detroit take on around $3-5 mill a year for the next 4 years, then he's an option...otherwise, there are very few options to go to).

There is very little that can be done in the outfield, however, if we could get an elite LH power hitter that can play any OF position(and there are plenty available...St. Louis falls out, Edmonds is an option; Larry Walker could be an option, however, he would have to play LF or RF, which would mean one of Lee and Maggs would be involved, and if that occurred, we would may as well just trade Lee and Konerko, along with a prospect, for Helton, and use Reed or Borchard in LF, or trade for a solid LFer or CFer and plug them in...the best thing I can think of is trading for Jose Cruz in Tampa, put him in CF, and then move Rowand to LF; Shawn Green could be an option, and he can play both OF and 1B, so that is going for us...we might even be able to get him for just Lee, but the Dodgers would have to take on some of his salary, or they'd have to give us a solid prospect and take on Konerko too; Geoff Jenkins has to be an option, Chipper Jones, Cliff Floyd....there are several more options, but I've covered the ones that I feel the Sox should consider).

As far as pitching is concerned, another starter could be brought in. I've made it very well known that I would love to get Kipper back. Another option is the infamous Odalis Perez, who we heard about ALL offseason. If Seattle falls out(which they very well could), you have to consider Joel Piniero too. Again, it would cost quite a bit, but he'd probably be worth it. There are not many other options, but there are some Blue Jays pitchers who wouldn't be bad either, but I'm not sure of their contract situations(Lilly would be solid, Batista is pretty good, and Hentgen is a former Cy Young winner). Personally, I feel it is damn near pointless to get a pitcher to be your #4 pitcher, especially when we need a top starter to help us in the playoffs(which would be the reason we acquired a starter). Also, as seen, the bullpen could be shored up. Several relievers will be available....too many to be named.

At this point, you have to sort your priorities and determine which you need the most. For me, the list goes something like this:

Starter, LH power hitter, 2Bman, leadoff hitter, reliever

Here's what I do.

For the starter, I see what Pittsburgh wants for Wells. I offer them Borchard, Rauch, and Adkins, and see if they do it. If they don't, I offer them another solid player, say Diaz. If they don't do that, I make one more offer, and I see if they take Lee. We'll say they take the second offer. If they don't accept either of those 3 offers, I back off that, and go for Perez. I would offer LA probably Konerko and Diaz, and see if they bite. If they do, and I would guess they do, Odalis Perez is ours. We then have either a hole at 1B, or have to address the LH power situation...either way, this is covered in my next move. I see what it would cost to get Delgado here(again, assuming Toronto is out). I would offer them Borchard, Rauch(Cotts if we get Wells), Adkins, and Koch(to take on some of Delgado's salary), and would ask for one of Speier, Lopez, and Lightenberg in return....also, if the Wells trade is made, like I have it being made, Konerko would go along as well, but we'd get their most expensive reliever, even if he is their s***tiest reliever. We'll say we get Lightenberg. That fills the hole at 1B, we have 5 starters(Buehrle, Loaiza, preferably Wells/otherwise Perez, Garland, and then Wright/Scho...if Wright is doing better, I would deal Scho for another solid reliever...if Scho is doing better, I just move Wright to the pen). To make it easier, we'll just say that it is Wright doing better and Scho is dealt(to San Diego for Jay Witasick). At this point, we are pretty much toast in the upper minors as far as prospects are concerned. I then see if Texas will deal Soriano for Reed, Pacheco, and Harris(I know Reed is a stretch, but I've always felt that in baseball you sacrifice the chance of winning in the future for the chance of winning in the present). If they don't, I don't worry about it and completely forget I even brought it up(unless they ask me about it again and accept it later on...then I do it). Just to make it fun as hell, we'll say they do make it.

So now, our team looks like this...

Soriano - 2B(I don't like his OBP, but we have little other choice...he has speed, and offers power from the leadoff spot)

Lee - LF(however, if the third Wells is made, a LFer would be traded for, or maybe even a CFer...maybe a solid prospect for Jose Cruz Jr, and then put Rowand in LF)

Maggs - RF

Delgado - 1B

Thomas - DH

Valentin - SS

Crede - 3B

Rowand - CF

Olivo - C

Rotation of Buehrle, Loaiza, Wells, Garland, Wright....however, in the playoffs, Loaiza would go in game one just to make it a R-L-R to open the playoffs.

Pen of Wunsch, Jackson, Lightenberg, Witasick, Politte, Shingo, and Marte, however, one could be demoted/traded.

Looks good to me...probably costs a bunch more money, but this would be done mostly at the All-Star break, when non-contenders are having their 50% off sales. Just off the top of my head here real quick-like, it looks like the team would make somewhere around $78 mill or so to open the season, so this would not be the team to open the season with, but could possibly be a team to trade for at the deadline.

Oh no you didn't...not a wise choice my friend.  Get comfortable, you could be in for a ride.  :D

For starters, I would trade for a lefty power hitter.  Whether it be Cliff Floyd(who would be the most attractive player, however, he does have a no-trade clause, and I'm not sure who he can veto a trade to).  If he is not an option, I would trade probably end up trading for Tino Martinez or Randall Simon, or maybe even wait until the trade deadline and wait for another team to fall out of contention(maybe see if Toronto falls out and trade for Delgado...that would be my first choice), maybe look for a better leadoff hitter, or at the very least, a better 2Bman(I'd take Spivey or Vidro, also, you have to look at Marcus Giles as a possible option if Atlanta falls out, but we'd have to overpay, and Atlanta would have to fall out...both are unattractive and unlikely...another possibility is Alfonso Soriano in Texas, but that is in the same boat as Atlanta, though Texas will not contend...we'd almost undoubtedly have to give up Cotts, and probably Diaz and/or Rauch too, along with another solid prospect...I would do it though).  Catcher, SS, and 3B are fine(however, if possible, you could try and convince Jose to move to 2B if necessary and then that opens up more possibilities too.  If he does accept the option of moving to 2B if necessary, Orlando Cabrera becomes an option, and if St. Louis drops out, Edgar Renteria is also an option, however, he is in the same boat as Soriano and Giles.  Catcher could be upgraded, but I'm not sure who would become available that would actually help us a lot(Olivo is here for the cannon attached to his body, also known as his right arm, and we basically have him to hit .250-.260 with solid power numbers, maybe 10 homers or so...if we could get IRod and have Detroit take on around $3-5 mill a year for the next 4 years, then he's an option...otherwise, there are very few options to go to).

There is very little that can be done in the outfield, however, if we could get an elite LH power hitter that can play any OF position(and there are plenty available...St. Louis falls out, Edmonds is an option; Larry Walker could be an option, however, he would have to play LF or RF, which would mean one of Lee and Maggs would be involved, and if that occurred, we would may as well just trade Lee and Konerko, along with a prospect, for Helton, and use Reed or Borchard in LF, or trade for a solid LFer or CFer and plug them in...the best thing I can think of is trading for Jose Cruz in Tampa, put him in CF, and then move Rowand to LF; Shawn Green could be an option, and he can play both OF and 1B, so that is going for us...we might even be able to get him for just Lee, but the Dodgers would have to take on some of his salary, or they'd have to give us a solid prospect and take on Konerko too; Geoff Jenkins has to be an option, Chipper Jones, Cliff Floyd....there are several more options, but I've covered the ones that I feel the Sox should consider).

As far as pitching is concerned, another starter could be brought in.  I've made it very well known that I would love to get Kipper back.  Another option is the infamous Odalis Perez, who we heard about ALL offseason.  If Seattle falls out(which they very well could), you have to consider Joel Piniero too.  Again, it would cost quite a bit, but he'd probably be worth it.  There are not many other options, but there are some Blue Jays pitchers who wouldn't be bad either, but I'm not sure of their contract situations(Lilly would be solid, Batista is pretty good, and Hentgen is a former Cy Young winner).  Personally, I feel it is damn near pointless to get a pitcher to be your #4 pitcher, especially when we need a top starter to help us in the playoffs(which would be the reason we acquired a starter).  Also, as seen, the bullpen could be shored up.  Several relievers will be available....too many to be named.

At this point, you have to sort your priorities and determine which you need the most.  For me, the list goes something like this:

Here's what I do.

For the starter, I see what Pittsburgh wants for Wells.  I offer them Borchard, Rauch, and Adkins, and see if they do it.  If they don't, I offer them another solid player, say Diaz.  If they don't do that, I make one more offer, and I see if they take Lee.  We'll say they take the second offer.  If they don't accept either of those 3 offers, I back off that, and go for Perez.  I would offer LA probably Konerko and Diaz, and see if they bite.  If they do, and I would guess they do, Odalis Perez is ours.  We then have either a hole at 1B, or have to address the LH power situation...either way, this is covered in my next move.  I see what it would cost to get Delgado here(again, assuming Toronto is out).  I would offer them Borchard, Rauch(Cotts if we get Wells), Adkins, and Koch(to take on some of Delgado's salary), and would ask for one of Speier, Lopez, and Lightenberg in return....also, if the Wells trade is made, like I have it being made, Konerko would go along as well, but we'd get their most expensive reliever, even if he is their s***tiest reliever.  We'll say we get Lightenberg.  That fills the hole at 1B, we have 5 starters(Buehrle, Loaiza, preferably Wells/otherwise Perez, Garland, and then Wright/Scho...if Wright is doing better, I would deal Scho for another solid reliever...if Scho is doing better, I just move Wright to the pen).  To make it easier, we'll just say that it is Wright doing better and Scho is dealt(to San Diego for Jay Witasick).  At this point, we are pretty much toast in the upper minors as far as prospects are concerned.  I then see if Texas will deal Soriano for Reed, Pacheco, and Harris(I know Reed is a stretch, but I've always felt that in baseball you sacrifice the chance of winning in the future for the chance of winning in the present).  If they don't, I don't worry about it and completely forget I even brought it up(unless they ask me about it again and accept it later on...then I do it).  Just to make it fun as hell, we'll say they do make it.

Soriano - 2B(I don't like his OBP, but we have little other choice...he has speed, and offers power from the leadoff spot)

Lee - LF(however, if the third Wells is made, a LFer would be traded for, or maybe even a CFer...maybe a solid prospect for Jose Cruz Jr, and then put Rowand in LF)

Maggs - RF

Delgado - 1B

Thomas - DH

Valentin - SS

Crede - 3B

Rowand - CF

Olivo - C

Rotation of Buehrle, Loaiza, Wells, Garland, Wright....however, in the playoffs, Loaiza would go in game one just to make it a R-L-R to open the playoffs.

Pen of Wunsch, Jackson, Lightenberg, Witasick, Politte, Shingo, and Marte, however, one could be demoted/traded.

Looks good to me...probably costs a bunch more money, but this would be done mostly at the All-Star break, when non-contenders are having their 50% off sales.  Just off the top of my head here real quick-like, it looks like the team would make somewhere around $78 mill or so to open the season, so this would not be the team to open the season with, but could possibly be a team to trade for at the deadline.

ok lineup and rotation are fine but u HAVE NO CLOSER.

I'd have the concession stands serve Caffeine Free Diet Coke and Blue Moon Beer, some no carb food, and move my seats to the club section.

Any player moves would just get a lot of b****ing here so I'd so go for my favorite drinks, something to eat, and new seats!

I'd have the concession stands serve Caffeine Free Diet Coke and Blue Moon Beer, some no carb food, and move my seats to the club section.

Any player moves would just get a lot of b****ing here so I'd so go for my favorite drinks, something to eat, and new seats!

i ddid not like when my seats were in club section.

I prefer my seats in 10th row, 137

Oh no you didn't...not a wise choice my friend.  Get comfortable, you could be in for a ride.  :D

For starters, I would trade for a lefty power hitter.  Whether it be Cliff Floyd(who would be the most attractive player, however, he does have a no-trade clause, and I'm not sure who he can veto a trade to).  If he is not an option, I would trade probably end up trading for Tino Martinez or Randall Simon, or maybe even wait until the trade deadline and wait for another team to fall out of contention(maybe see if Toronto falls out and trade for Delgado...that would be my first choice), maybe look for a better leadoff hitter, or at the very least, a better 2Bman(I'd take Spivey or Vidro, also, you have to look at Marcus Giles as a possible option if Atlanta falls out, but we'd have to overpay, and Atlanta would have to fall out...both are unattractive and unlikely...another possibility is Alfonso Soriano in Texas, but that is in the same boat as Atlanta, though Texas will not contend...we'd almost undoubtedly have to give up Cotts, and probably Diaz and/or Rauch too, along with another solid prospect...I would do it though).  Catcher, SS, and 3B are fine(however, if possible, you could try and convince Jose to move to 2B if necessary and then that opens up more possibilities too.  If he does accept the option of moving to 2B if necessary, Orlando Cabrera becomes an option, and if St. Louis drops out, Edgar Renteria is also an option, however, he is in the same boat as Soriano and Giles.  Catcher could be upgraded, but I'm not sure who would become available that would actually help us a lot(Olivo is here for the cannon attached to his body, also known as his right arm, and we basically have him to hit .250-.260 with solid power numbers, maybe 10 homers or so...if we could get IRod and have Detroit take on around $3-5 mill a year for the next 4 years, then he's an option...otherwise, there are very few options to go to).

As far as pitching is concerned, another starter could be brought in.  I've made it very well known that I would love to get Kipper back.  Another option is the infamous Odalis Perez, who we heard about ALL offseason.  If Seattle falls out(which they very well could), you have to consider Joel Piniero too.  Again, it would cost quite a bit, but he'd probably be worth it.  There are not many other options, but there are some Blue Jays pitchers who wouldn't be bad either, but I'm not sure of their contract situations(Lilly would be solid, Batista is pretty good, and Hentgen is a former Cy Young winner).  Personally, I feel it is damn near pointless to get a pitcher to be your #4 pitcher, especially when we need a top starter to help us in the playoffs(which would be the reason we acquired a starter).  Also, as seen, the bullpen could be shored up.  Several relievers will be available....too many to be named.

At this point, you have to sort your priorities and determine which you need the most.  For me, the list goes something like this:

Here's what I do.

For the starter, I see what Pittsburgh wants for Wells.  I offer them Borchard, Rauch, and Adkins, and see if they do it.  If they don't, I offer them another solid player, say Diaz.  If they don't do that, I make one more offer, and I see if they take Lee.  We'll say they take the second offer.  If they don't accept either of those 3 offers, I back off that, and go for Perez.  I would offer LA probably Konerko and Diaz, and see if they bite.  If they do, and I would guess they do, Odalis Perez is ours.  We then have either a hole at 1B, or have to address the LH power situation...either way, this is covered in my next move.  I see what it would cost to get Delgado here(again, assuming Toronto is out).  I would offer them Borchard, Rauch(Cotts if we get Wells), Adkins, and Koch(to take on some of Delgado's salary), and would ask for one of Speier, Lopez, and Lightenberg in return....also, if the Wells trade is made, like I have it being made, Konerko would go along as well, but we'd get their most expensive reliever, even if he is their s***tiest reliever.  We'll say we get Lightenberg.  That fills the hole at 1B, we have 5 starters(Buehrle, Loaiza, preferably Wells/otherwise Perez, Garland, and then Wright/Scho...if Wright is doing better, I would deal Scho for another solid reliever...if Scho is doing better, I just move Wright to the pen).  To make it easier, we'll just say that it is Wright doing better and Scho is dealt(to San Diego for Jay Witasick).  At this point, we are pretty much toast in the upper minors as far as prospects are concerned.  I then see if Texas will deal Soriano for Reed, Pacheco, and Harris(I know Reed is a stretch, but I've always felt that in baseball you sacrifice the chance of winning in the future for the chance of winning in the present).  If they don't, I don't worry about it and completely forget I even brought it up(unless they ask me about it again and accept it later on...then I do it).  Just to make it fun as hell, we'll say they do make it.

Maggs - RF

Delgado - 1B

Thomas - DH

Valentin - SS

Crede - 3B

Rowand - CF

Olivo - C

Looks good to me...probably costs a bunch more money, but this would be done mostly at the All-Star break, when non-contenders are having their 50% off sales.  Just off the top of my head here real quick-like, it looks like the team would make somewhere around $78 mill or so to open the season, so this would not be the team to open the season with, but could possibly be a team to trade for at the deadline.

:crying :drink :snr :nono :headshake :lol:

:unsure:

i ddid not like when my seats were in club section.

I prefer my seats in 10th row, 137

I love club section...

I love the upper deck but I love club section -- get that one right to the right of home plate, first row, and never move!

WAYYYYYYYY too early to jump on Willie Harris right now.  The season is 2 gms old and he's only played in 1 of them...Give him atleast a solid month before u come to the conclusion that he stinks...As far as what I would do.  I would go get another starter.  Other than that.  I'm fine with this team for now.

A month?! I was thinking 1-2 weeks tops.

Have we learned nothing from Clayton, Baines, Ramirez, Konerko and Valentin as a RH? Automatic outs cost games and games accumulate and cost seasons.....Willie cannot hit. Never could, outside of one hot month in a repeat year of AAA.

Roberts is right there. Costing next to nothing. Not only do you greatly upgrade at 2B, but you also upgrade at SS as it allows Uribe to start over Jose against LHP.

I hate when people can't see that our offense is far from dominant. The last time Sox scored in bunches when it MATTERED was 1st half of 2000. 3.5 years ago. Sox need help -- Maggs, Hurt, Lee can't be batting with bases empty all the time.

If we're in 1st place by 5-6 games come July, then Reindorf can undress the biggest need -- ace starter and possibly a closer in the Urbina mold to take pressure off Politte and Marte who is much better as a set-up man anyway.

If we're in the 1st place by 5-6 games come July, then Reindorf can undress the biggest need -- ace starter and possibly a closer in the Urbina mold to take pressure off Politte and Marte who is much better as a set-up man anyway.

How the hell could I forget about Urbina?!

Oh I know. The fact that the Indians played the Twins in a 3-game set, had 2 games in extras, and one where the Indians were killing the Twins and Urbina still didn't get in the game for Cleveland. If he's not on the DL, then Wedge was making a mistake not using him.

Indians played the Twins in a 3-game set, had 2 games in extras, and one where the Indians were killing the Twins and Urbina still didn't get in the game for Cleveland. If he's not on the DL, then Wedge was making a mistake not using him.

I know, I wanted to beat that scumbag with his own catherer as he was quite literally giving 2 games away to the Twins.

And then I realized Urbina is a Tiger.... :lol:

I know, I wanted to beat that scumbag with his own catherer as he was quite literally giving 2 games away to the Twins. 

And then I realized Urbina is a Tiger.... :lol:

My bad.

I remember what I was thinking of. He visited the Indians. I know he did that.

Then the whole signing with Detroit thing was lost somewhere in my brain. I do that sometimes. :lol:

My bad. 

I remember what I was thinking of.  He visited the Indians.  I know he did that. 

Then the whole signing with Detroit thing was lost somewhere in my brain.  I do that sometimes. :lol:

Hey, at least the Chairman is not "undressing" the need....

:lolhitting

Hey, at least the Chairman is not "undressing" the need....

:lolhitting

This is true. I think that would be a little disturbing to hear about.

Undressing the biggest need...would that have to deal with getting an ace and then having JR undress him? :o :puke

BTW, I've read in I think it was one of Ken Rosenthal's inside dishes from about 2002 where the Orioles GM at the time aksed Toronto about possibly trading for Shawn Green. Of course, everyone knows that he was traded to Los Angeles in 1999 for Raul Mondesi and Pedro Borbon. So I'm not the only one to make a big mistake like that. Maybe it means I'm in good company