FutureSox 4/8 Game Threads

Heads22

A little off topic, but within the minors...The Barons are losing 11-1 to West Tennessee in the top of the 9th and Kannapolis lost 11-5 to Lakewood. The Barons bullpen got shelled and the Intmidators starter got shelled, or at least that's how it appears from the innings that the run were scored.

Honel started for the Barons.  In the 4th or 5th he had given up 4 runs.  Brownlie was starting for the Cubs affiliate, West Tenn and was pitchin a shutout when I was last paying attention to the game.

Brownlie must not have lasted 5, he did not get the win, most runs were in 7th and 8th, I think 3 in 7th and 4 in 8th for them. So relievers got crunched.

Charlotte 3, Columbus 2

Published Thu, Apr 8, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Bryant Nelson doubled and homered to lead the Charlotte Knights to a 3-2 victory over the Columbus Clippers in the International League opener for both teams Thursday night.

Nelson had an RBI double in a two-run third inning and hit a solo homer in the eighth to make it 3-1. Jon Rauch gave up one run in 5 2-3 innings to get the win, and Gary Majewski went 1 1-3 innings for the save.

Columbus pitchers allowed just five hits, but an error led to the two unearned runs in the third. Alex Graman allowed just three hits and struck out six in five innings, but took the loss.

Jeffrey Deardorff had two hits for the Clippers, including a second-inning homer. Darren Bragg and Todd Betts added two hits apiece.

No, I don't see it.

Borchard says he really wants it baaaad? Then how aboout going 2-for-2 with 3 walks and 2 homers, 1 from each side, and gunning down a couple of baserunners?

Rauch says he's disappointed, what with being left off the ML roster and all? Then how about clocking in an . 8 inning, 2 hits, no ER, 14 K-type performance and forcing KW to board the next available plane -- as he did a few times in 2000?

I guess I am tired of seeing 1-for-4 and 6 inning/3 runs crap from the supposed phenoms and having to make excuse for them to fans of other teams. No thank you -- Sox have enough mediocrity on the ML roster.

I'm going to guess Rauch didn't throw that many innings since pitchers are typically on a lower pitch count right out of the gate. If you look, not many major league pitchers are throwing more then 6 innings in their first starts and the same is expected out of minor leaguers.

I don't think their is much concern over Rauch's start. It was a good debut. Honels was solid as well, but by the 7k's and 3 walks, I'm guessing he threw a ton of pitches in those 4 innings and the Sox aren't going to take any chances overusing them early or overusing them at all.

I mean.....if you can't muster 850 OPS or a sub-4.00 ERA in the repeat years in the minors, what the hell are you gonna do in the Majors, especially when you're counted on to be among those who contribute to the playoff-caliber team?

I am so sick of crossing my fingers and being happy when Olivo hits a blooper on a 2-0 pitch or Danny Wright throws a first pitch strike without it being a meat-ball. Low expectations suck.

Where's our Prior? Where's our Pujols? Where's our Gagne? What has the farm system produced since Buerhle's arrival in 2000? Sox are not the Yankees; big talent has to be churned out almost annually if we're to thrive.

Rauch and Borchard have done nothing for me to believe they will be anything but marginal ML'ers -- if that.

Step up or shut up.

It looks like Chris Young and Robert Valido both got off to good starts. It will be interesting to watch these two youngsters progress. The offense at Kannapolis should be pretty good. I hope that Gray can get some consistant playing time. That kid can really rack, but he might get stuck behind Valido and Gonzalez. I think that they should put Gray at high A ball since he has some college experience. Is it just me or does Birmingham never have a good offense. I usually go through all the minors and watch/keep an eye on about 5-6 top prospects at each level, but I don't see one prospect at AA worth keeping an eye on. Morse is probably the closest thing to a top offensive prospect at that level. It disappointing to see Miller get roughed up. He might have some of the best raw stuff in the system and this could really be a make or break year for him. Hopefully he can rebound.

I mean.....if you can't muster 850 OPS or a sub-4.00 ERA in the repeat years in the minors, what the hell are you gonna do in the Majors, especially when you're counted on to be among those who contribute to the playoff-caliber team?

I am so sick of crossing my fingers and being happy when Olivo hits a blooper on a 2-0 pitch or Danny Wright throws a first pitch strike without it being a meat-ball. Low expectations suck.

Where's our Prior?  Where's our Pujols?  Where's our Gagne?  What has the farm system produced since Buerhle's arrival in 2000? Sox are not the Yankees;  big talent has to be churned out almost annually if we're to thrive.

Rauch and Borchard have done nothing for me to believe they will be anything but marginal ML'ers -- if that.

Step up or shut up.

I agree with you man. It would be nice to see some of these guys actually live up to their hype. That's why I try and keep things in prespective when it comes to Reed, Anderson, and Sweeney...

It looks like Chris Young and Robert Valido both got off to good starts. It will be interesting to watch these two youngsters progress. The offense at Kannapolis should be pretty good. I hope that Gray can get some consistant playing time. That kid can really rack, but he might get stuck behind Valido and Gonzalez. I think that they should put Gray at high A ball since he has some college experience. Is it just me or does Birmingham never have a good offense. I usually go through all the minors and watch/keep an eye on about 5-6 top prospects at each level, but I don't see one prospect at AA worth keeping an eye on. Morse is probably the closest thing to a top offensive prospect at that level. It disappointing to see Miller get roughed up. He might have some of the best raw stuff in the system and this could really be a make or break year for him. Hopefully he can rebound.

Does Gray play alot of billiards or do you mean he can really 'rake'