Ordonez: Sox deal 'close' to happening

mmmmmbeeer

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are the cheapest large market team in baseball, and we have some really good outfielders in the system. As much as I would like to see Magglio back, I just can't see Reinsdorf forking over 70 million.

Rewarding solid, consistent production is a good thing. The young OF's in the system could also be traded for young pitching in the future. If the Sox stick with paying position players the big bucks, they'll need cheap young talented pitching to win.

Rewarding solid, consistent production is a good thing. The young OF's in the system could also be traded for young pitching in the future. If the Sox stick with paying position players the big bucks, they'll need cheap young talented pitching to win.

I agree. I def. think we should hold on to Maggs.

I don't think that Reinsdorf will spend the money though. It defies his history.

I don't think that Reinsdorf will spend the money though.  It defies his history.

I disagree about the history of JR not spending money. He's gone after big names like Albert Belle, David Wells and Bartolo Colon. Last year getting Alomar, Everett etal, cost the team money by going for the short term win.

I also checked the new numbers on the 2004 payroll. The Sox have the 5th highest in the AL. Not exactly cheap

The Sox will spend money when the need and fit is right.

I disagree about the history of JR not spending money. He's gone after big names like Albert Belle, David Wells and Bartolo Colon. Last year getting Alomar, Everett etal, cost the team money by going for the short term win.

I also checked the new numbers on the 2004 payroll. The Sox have the 5th highest in the AL. Not exactly cheap

The Sox will spend money when the need and fit is right.

You mentioned 5 names. 4 of those were players who were acquired in the last year of their contracts. None of those players were resigned.

In terms of going out and getting the big name free agent, that has not been done since Albert Belle in 97. The only mega-star that the Sox have resigned in the last decade is Frank Thomas in 1996(?).

The list of players who got away is far greater than those who were resigned. Jack McDowell, Lance Johnson, Robin Ventura and Alex Fernandez are just a few of the big name players who we did not resign even though they still had productive years remaining in their careers.

You mentioned 5 names. 4 of those were players who were acquired in the last year of their contracts.  None of those players were resigned.

In terms of going out and getting the big name free agent, that has not been done since Albert Belle in 97.  The only mega-star that the Sox have resigned in the last decade is Frank Thomas in 1996(?).

The list of players who got away is far greater than those who were resigned.  Jack McDowell, Lance Johnson, Robin Ventura and Alex Fernandez are just a few of the big name players who we did not resign even though they still had productive years remaining in their careers.

:cheers

Isn't recent history more important in deciding whether or not Maggs will be re-signed than looking back at who wasn't resigned in the early 90's? I think it is. And recent history [the last few years] the team has shown a willingness to spend.

The point is whether Maggs will or will not be re-signed, just for monetary reasons. I think he will because it's best for the team.

The list of players who got away is far greater than those who were resigned.  Jack McDowell, Lance Johnson, Robin Ventura and Alex Fernandez are just a few of the big name players who we did not resign even though they still had productive years remaining in their careers.

As it turned out, 3 out of 4 of these moves turned out to be correct. The only one I wish we had re-signed was Ventura.

McDowell, Johnson and Fernandez did not have productive years after we let them go. :headshake

:cheers

jr is not afraid of coming up with the money, and i am sure if he knows that mags will get him the championship, he will come up with the money.

now with ref to what i said, mags may not want to stay here and is postering by saying all the right words. the sox should have traded him last yr with the potential of getting the max in return.

Maggs will replace Frank as the "face" of the White Sox. The team needs one consistent All-Star caliber player to market and build around. Maggs is the kind of player that the team could promote. I can easily see JR thinking of Maggs as the franchise player and signing him to a long term deal.

Maggs will replace Frank as the "face" of the White Sox. The team needs one consistent All-Star caliber player to market and build around. Maggs is the kind of player that the team could promote. I can easily see JR thinking of Maggs as the franchise player and signing him to a long term deal.

I hope so.

Maggs is showing he wants to be a White Sox. If the team negotiate, they can get a lower salary. The Sox is the priority for him and he has shown this.

Cmon , Keep MAGGS!

Isn't recent history more important in deciding whether or not Maggs will be re-signed than looking back at who wasn't resigned in the early 90's? I think it is. And recent history [the last few years] the team has shown a willingness to spend.

The point is whether Maggs will or will not be re-signed, just for monetary reasons. I think he will because it's best for the team.

Recent history:

Wells, Alomar, Colon, Everett all walk away from the sox after 1 year.

As it turned out, 3 out of 4 of these moves turned out to be correct.  The only one I wish we had re-signed was Ventura.

McDowell, Johnson and Fernandez did not have productive years after we let them go. :headshake

Actually McDowell had 2 productive years after we let him go. And then if he stayed with the Sox he may have had a different surgeon, and a mistake in surgery may not have ruined his career.

Fernandez only had 1 productive year after we did not resign him.

Johnson hit .333 and .307 in the 2 years after we did not resign him. And in 1996 he led the NL in hits.

McDowell was productive for several years with the mets and for 1 year with the yankees.

You never know how things would have turned out if we kept these guys around.

Exactly. I really don't see how anyone can call this article negative. If we're able to resign Mags, I feel that's a very big positive for this franchise. Mags is going to be the franchise player where ever he plays for the next few years. He may still be one of the best kept secrets w/ the lack of media coverage he gets in Chicago. If he ever ended up going to NY or Boston, you know he would get a rediculous amount of praise.

Exactly.  I really don't see how anyone can call this article negative.  If we're able to resign Mags, I feel that's a very big positive for this franchise.  Mags is going to be the franchise player where ever he plays for the next few years.  He may still be one of the best kept secrets w/ the lack of media coverage he gets in Chicago.  If he ever ended up going to NY or Boston, you know he would get a rediculous amount of praise.

He could also get more money from the Yanks than JR would give him.

I would bet with Reed, Sweeney, Borchard, and Anderson waiting, the Sox will ship Mags for pitching . Then HOPEFULLY spend the money on a solid infielder or relief pitcher.

Unless we are in the pennant race I think that is what will happen.

I was just stating a fact.  The way you phrased that, regarding Wells, was misleading.

Rather than saying the players walked away, I should have said the sox allowed the players to get away.

I did not expect the Sox to resign all of those guys. But not giving Colon the extra year sickens me. Even if he only wins 15 games every year, he pitches so many innings and he could have given us the edge in this close division.

After Colon got away, I thought maybe we would keep Everett around. I was sickened when Montreal got him for 2 years 7 million (or something cheap like that). Say what you want about our offense already being deep, but with a .300-0-100 switch hitter in the order, we are probably second to only the yankees offensively.