Ordonez: Sox deal 'close' to happening

mmmmmbeeer

If JR is serious about keeping Maggs he has to increase the years (and of course lower the price). Maggs said himself he can picture playing in NY, and with the ridiculous contract they will no doubt offer him Sox need to act quick.

Let the Yanks have Carlos Beltran instead.

I doubt the Yanks make him an offer, his most likely destination is LA followed by Seattle, Atlanta, and Baltimore.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if this is a reliable or not but according to the chisox message board, and cbs sportsline message board from Southtown Bruce Levine (this can go 50/50) is reporting that the Sox and Ordonez are looking into a 6 year 68 million dollar deal. It could be done by this week. Again don't know if there's any truth to this, but this is what the buzz is about. Hopefully management can make it happen.

If I remember correctly we did offer Ventura $7 ... but it was over a 3 year period.  I specifically remembered that what we offered Robin was a pittance of what he deserved.

You remember correctly. The Sox didn't want Ventura and made sure that there was no contest between their offer and what the market would bear. I also don't ever remember Ventura having a bad attitude. He broke his ass to get back into shape after that ankle fracture.

Hey YASNY, I'm still waiting on the Aaron Rowand 18 homers you wrote about last December or January. You stepped out, so if ARow comes through, you called it.

Southtown Bruce Levine (this can go 50/50) is reporting that the Sox and Ordonez are looking into a 6 year 68 million dollar deal. It could be done by this week

See, 6/68 is something I can live with, especially if some of it is deferred.

If Sox have a great year and fans come out, then they could afford paying 11 Mill a year to a fan favorite.

If Sox have a bad year, fans don't come but Magglio has a 1000 OPS season that would mean he would have high trade value afa teams like Dodgers and Yankees.

BUT.....make no mistake about it, Magglio was never worth the

4 year/60 Mill money he reportedly was asking for.

Outside of 2002 when he padded his numbers when the Sox were out of contention, Magglio has basically been a 875-900 OPS hitterduring is career, and given his rather average baserunning and fairly unspectacular (last couple of seasons) defense, to say nothing of his limited marketability......I just don't see the superstar everyone else sees.

Magglio has a live bat, but his pitch selection/eye is nothing special. What happens when Frank is on another team and Magglio won't get a great line-up protection?

Vlad Guerrero and Sosa in his prime thrived because they had INSANE plate coverage, so they didn't need a really good eye to be very effective. Magglio, on the other hand, DOES need it if he wants to be a 1000 OPS player -- and at 30yo, he is not likely to improve his ordinary (by Bonds, Sheffield, Thomas, Helton standards) pitch selection. And without such improvement, HOW is he gonna take it to the next level annd become a true superstar?

Of course Magglio is welcome to prove me wrong and break-out ala Sammy Sosa did in 1998.

A couple of thoughts went through my mind. 1) Maggs has continually said that has a heartfelt loyalty to the Sox for giving him his start.so would he be willing to "stretch" a little if they did offer him a 6 year deal? Even though his agents are working on his deal? 2) We were originally trying to keep Colon by going overbudget, along with Gordon, Everett,Alomar etc,etc. I know we extended C.Lee and Buehrle's contracts, but what is left over from all of the original money that was offered in the offseason from the ones we lost? 3)Also, Ticket prices were in fact raised to help out the cause a bit. (how much annually that comes out to, I have no clue), but could JR use all the above issues to not only to help pay Maggs?but also..... 4) After what happened in the offseason, would he sign Maggs to help win fan base back? Lot of questions, but it does give me something to "Chew on" and "SOME HOPE!!!"

I am praying (and I'm not religious) that we get this deal done. Maggs could really own this city when aging superstars retire on both sides of town. I hope the Ozzie-Maggs Venezuela connection gets this thing through ASAP. The sooner we get it done, the sooner Maggs can continue moidering AL pitching.

Like I said earlier, its inevitable that some of the very best prospects won't pan out.  I've not given up on Borchard yet.  I firmly believe one of him and Reed will be starting for the Sox THIS season.  Personally I Think it will be Reed, soley because you can plop him in the 2 hole. 

However, Borchard's lefty bat in the lower part of the order would be a nice thing to have as well.

Look at it this way:

--Rowand, Perez, Anderson will be competing for CF position

--Lee, Reed, Gload for LF

--Maggllio, Sweeney, Borchard for RF.

Obviously, Lee and Magglio would have to out-perform their competiion by a WIDE-ass margin -- Reed's 830 OPS at 300K are worth more than Lee's 850 OPS at 8 Mill just as, say, Sweeney's 850 OPS at league minimum would be worth more than Maggs' 920 OPS at 13+ Mill.

Right?

I can definitely live with 6 years $68 million. I think Vlad Guerrero got a 6 year $90 million contract. Maggs is not injury prone like Vlad though, so I think this is a very, very good deal for the White Sox. If this goes down, I've got no doubt, sumthin will happen with one of outfielders e.g Borchard, Anderson.

I am praying (and I'm not religious) that we get this deal done.  Maggs could really own this city when aging superstars retire on both sides of town.  I hope the Ozzie-Maggs Venezuela connection gets this thing through ASAP.  The sooner we get it done, the sooner Maggs can continue moidering AL pitching.

No joke. This would make things a whole lot more comforting. I think that deal would make Mags happy, and I really don't think it's overspending in today's market. It'd be a great deal for all.

Don't know if this is a reliable or not but according to the chisox message board, and cbs sportsline message board from Southtown Bruce Levine (this can go 50/50) is reporting that the Sox and Ordonez are looking into a 6 year 68 million dollar deal. It could be done by this week. Again don't know if there's any truth to this, but this is what the buzz is about. Hopefully management can make it happen.

6-68 would be awesome in my book. We were talking about 4-60 or 5-75. That is just over 11 mil a year, for what the rumor is. :o

Driving home from Chicago tonight, my grandson, Mags' biggest fan, and I listened to schlock on 670 about do we (Sox fans) care enough about Mags to pressure the Sox into signing him.

So the kid engages in a ton of fist pumping and chanting OEO and other assorted salutes to Mags :headbang and a general wondering what the hell SCORE was talking about, just more of their rile things up with bulls*** shows, asking do we care -

I also listened to Melton and what's his name on the post game ESPN show today and they made the point that the Sox and Mags will negotiate in silence and if there is an announcement it will be out of no where to us because serious negotiatons will happen far away from the public eye

I certainly want Mags re-signed

bt I have to ask, 6 years for $68? If I were Mags, I would throw that offer into the compost pile.

If my math is correct, that is $12 a year and isn't he getting paid $14 now? Why would he take a cut?

Mags just turned 30. Six years from now, he could be producing at Bonds age what Bonds is producing at that age and older so there is no reason for Mags to expect a lower future salary in the last year of a contract when he is 37.

4 years at $68 would be much more my guess for lots of reasons, if it happens.

I'd like 6-68. If it were a continual increase, it could go something like $9 mill his first year and $1 mill more every year after that(would be around $69 mill by the end), or he could start out at about $7.5-8 mill and increase by $1.5 mill every year after that.

If it could be done by the end of the week...sweeter.

Driving home from Chicago tonight,  my grandson, Mags' biggest fan, and I listened to schlock on 670 about do we (Sox fans) care enough about Mags to pressure the Sox into signing him.

So the kid engages in a ton of fist pumping and chanting OEO and other assorted salutes to Mags  :headbang and a general wondering what the hell SCORE was talking about, just more of their rile things up with bulls*** shows, asking do we care -

I also listened to Melton and what's his name on the post game ESPN show today and they made the point that the Sox and Mags will negotiate in silence and if there is an announcement it will be out of no where to us because serious negotiatons will happen far away from the public eye

bt I have to ask, 6 years for $68?  If I were Mags, I would throw that offer into the compost pile.

If my math is correct, that is $12 a year and isn't he getting paid $14 now?  Why would he take a cut?

Mags just turned 30.  Six years from now, he could be producing at Bonds age what Bonds is producing at that age and older so there is no reason for Mags to expect a lower future salary in the last year of a contract when he is 37.

cw, you are correct in saying that Maggs is making $14 mill this year, but he didn't sign a contract for $14 mill a year. He signed a backloaded contract that gave him about $7 mill in 02, $9 mill in 03, and gives him $14 mill this year(so it was a 3-year, $30 mill deal).

His salary from this year would go down, but he would actually be making more(around $11.5 mill), but he'd be making a s***load of money by the end of his contract.

1. bt I have to ask, 6 years for $68? If I were Mags, I would throw that offer into the compost pile.

2. If my math is correct, that is $12 a year and isn't he getting paid $14 now? Why would he take a cut?

3. Mags just turned 30. Six years from now, he could be producing at Bonds age what Bonds is producing at that age and older so there is no reason for Mags to expect a lower future salary in the last year of a contract when he is 37.

4.  4 years at $68 would be much more my guess for lots of reasons, if it happens

1. I have a feeling he will too. He already said he will test FA and he will get more from the Big Boys (NYY, LA, Bos) -- hell, the Big Girls (Cubs) will give him more than 11 Mill a year.

2. I dunno, why did Robbie take a cut from 8.5 Mill to only 1 Mill? Edgar Martinez from 9 to 4.5. Everett - from 9 to 3.5? Because they didn't have much say in how the market valued them. You DO realize that the only reason why Maggs is making 14 is because he made 6 Mill in 2002.

3. Are you for real?? Hitting prime is usually from mid-20s to early-30s.

In fact, historical production peak is 28. Chances are, Maggs not only will not improve, but will probably start the natural decline in the next 2-3 years. Comparing him to Bonds makes NO sense. Bonds is more talented. He is also a steroid-ridden freak of nature. An exception. Maggs will be lucky if he doesn't have to be propped up with a sugar-kane in RF when he is 37.

4. CW tell me, when will the f***ing madness end? You're actually suggesting Magglio is worth what a baseball-saving, international superstar Sammy Sosa signed for during a 160 RBI (in a neutral park, without much line-up protection, no less) season back when the bull market was still paying guys like Kevin Appier 12+ Mill per?

I can see it now: Sox don't draw in 2004, next year JR slashes payroll down to a more financially prudent 45 Mill -- 17 of which will be paid to a 920 OPS hitter whose name isn't even well known in some areas IN Chicago.....O-E-fricken-O

is mags worth the same amount of money that vlad is making?

it was mention last yr that he was going to test the market, nothing has change in his stand............ and i just came back to the site and i am still hearing the same thing.

as much as i like mags and i am a fan of his, his best value is to trade him, as i mention that we should have traded him last yr. but i was flame for mentioning that back then.

is mags worth the same amount of money that vlad is making?

it was mention last yr that he was going to test the market, nothing has change in his stand............ and i just came back to the site and i am still hearing the same thing.

as much as i like mags and i am a fan of his, his best value is to trade him, as i mention that we should have traded him last yr. but i was flame for mentioning that back then.

Don't trade him. Pay him dammit. He's the heart of this team now that the Big Skirt is in his twilight. He needs to get locked up or this team is going straight to hell.

We fans have to do our part and support the team by going to the park so Reinsy can't b**** about money as much.

he has been saying that he want to test the market and go to a team that is ready to win it all.................

does that sound like he wants to come back to chi?

I think a lot depends on where we go this season. If we have the big year we all think we're gonna have then he stays. If not then anything could happen.

I think a lot depends on where we go this season. If we have the big year we all think we're gonna have then he stays. If not then anything could happen.

The conspirist within me believes JR wouldn't mind the Sox out of contention come mid-season.

Trade Maggs before All-Star break you get recieve quality players and/or minor leaguers in return. JR wouldn't have to worry about paying him 12+ over several years and could distribute the 14 million to fill other voids on our team Orlando Cabrera, Edgar Renteria, and Octavio Dotel are quality free agents next year....

Regardless of a last place finish or World Series title Maggs will leave the Sox for any team willing to dish the money. A first round draft pick is all the Sox would recieve for an MVP caliber player. With all the potential (key word) outfield talent in our system, management could view Maggs as expendable. I personally believe he is a cornerstone to our teams future, but when one man ties up an entires teams payroll he's not worth the price.

Driving home from Chicago tonight,  my grandson, Mags' biggest fan, and I listened to schlock on 670 about do we (Sox fans) care enough about Mags to pressure the Sox into signing him.

So the kid engages in a ton of fist pumping and chanting OEO and other assorted salutes to Mags  :headbang and a general wondering what the hell SCORE was talking about, just more of their rile things up with bulls*** shows, asking do we care -

bt I have to ask, 6 years for $68?  If I were Mags, I would throw that offer into the compost pile.

If my math is correct, that is $12 a year and isn't he getting paid $14 now?  Why would he take a cut?

Mags just turned 30.  Six years from now, he could be producing at Bonds age what Bonds is producing at that age and older so there is no reason for Mags to expect a lower future salary in the last year of a contract when he is 37.

You have a grandson? Man you're old! :P :P

As has been stated, Magg's current contract was a backloaded $10 mil per yr contract. If he thinks he's going to get $14 mil per out on the open market then god bless him and hope he has a nice end to his career wherever that may be. Whatever contract he does get won't be longer than 4 yrs(insurance reasons) but it could have a couple of option yrs tacked on to make it a 6 yr package. I'd $72 mil tops for a 6 yr package.