Former wrestler trying out for NFL

Let me give you three names... Bob Sapp, Dwayne Johnson and Bill Goldberg.

Size alone cannot make you a successful NFL player.

Bob Sapp was a blithering idiot. He could tell right from left and I believe he couldn't read as well. Johnson got hurt and well Goldberg just plain ol sucked.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben Maller:

In March, Brock Lesnar walked away from the final five years and about $45 million of his seven-year WWE contract for the chance to play in the NFL, preferably for the Vikings, he said.

"I was miserable," Lesnar said. "How many people in life are miserable but don't . . . do anything about it?"

If Lesnar makes an active NFL roster, he probably would earn the league's rookie minimum of $230,000 a year. That would drop to about $85,000 if he ends up on a practice squad.

Of course, that's assuming someone wants Lesnar. The Vikings are expected to work him out next month but, like every other team, are skeptical because Lesnar hasn't played football since Webster High lost to Aberdeen Roncalli in the first round of the 1995 South Dakota playoffs.

"We have interest in everybody that can help," Vikings coach Mike Tice said. "But it will be a tough, tough transition for Brock being that he hasn't played much ball."

Lesnar expects to play defensive end. He is a shade taller than 6-3, weighs 290 pounds and has 9 percent body fat, long arms and unusual speed and agility for his size.

The workout with NFL teams was rescheduled for June 2, but that was canceled late last week because Lesnar aggravated his groin pull, according to his agent, Ed Hitchcock. Hitchcock said Lesnar probably will work out for teams individually in two or three weeks.

Hitchcock said five teams were committed to attending Lesnar's workout Wednesday: Green Bay, Philadelphia, Kansas City, Dallas and San Francisco. Green Bay, Philadelphia and San Francisco confirmed they were going to attend.

Why is Lesnar doing this? He said he was tired of traveling and performing 280 nights a year. He missed his 2-year-old daughter, Mya, and craved the kind of unrehearsed competition he experienced in amateur wrestling.

"I wanted to play football out of college, but I followed the dollar signs instead of my heart," Lesnar said. "I decided I didn't want to look back when I was 50 and wonder if I could have played in the NFL."

NFL teams are skeptical about steroids, which is why Lesnar said he has agreed to take an NFL-endorsed drug test before signing with an NFL team. The NFL bans the use of steroids and tests everyone yearly and retests randomly.

Former WWE Champion Brock Lesnar recently announced his retirement from pro wrestling and is now hoping to land an NFL audition. The former NCAA Wrestling Champion at the University of Minnesota hasn't played football since he was in high school, but believes he can play defensive line in the NFL. Although Lesnar has said that he will accept any tryouts offered to him, he would prefer to play for his hometown Minnesota Vikings. "He is serious about this," agent Ed Hitchcock told the Pioneer Press. "He wants to be in the NFL. He is such a tremendous athlete, he has a chance." Last month, Vikings head coach Mike Tice said he had not discussed the matter with Lesnar.

Views

As crazy as it may seem, some NFL insiders are starting to warm up to the idea of giving Lesnar a tryout. Perhaps it has something to do with the 4.65 seconds it took him to run the 40-yard dash during a recent workout. That may not be such a good time for a running back like Maurice Clarett, but it's a great time for a 6-4, 290 lbs. physical specimen such as Lesnar. Of course, a fast time in the 40-yard dash is one thing, and actually playing football is another. Lesnar spent some time at an Arizona training facility last month, and is said to be working out eight hours each day. He has a long way to go, but don't be surprised if that impressive dash time scores him a tryout or two.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanb...nball&type=lgns

Broc Lesner is a Hell of an athlete.  He was a dominate wrestler at the University of Minnesota and was a top football recruit out of high school.

Haha dominant? He was a average wrestler, he would over-power his opponents though. His technique was always poor. He also only won one NCAA title IIRC. He ran the whole time in the finals too IIRC. He got alot bigger even after college. All that said, he is a bad ass and I hope he gets a shot.

• 2 weeks later...
Haha dominant? He was a average wrestler, he would over-power his opponents though. His technique was always poor. He also only won one NCAA title IIRC. He ran the whole time in the finals too IIRC. He got alot bigger even after college. All that said, he is a bad ass and I hope he gets a shot.

Oops. Nevermind, but apparently the Vikings are interested in signing him for all you Bear fans.

I didn't mean it like that. He was still a very good wrestler, just not how someone like Sanderson was.

The reason I bumped this topic back up was because I saw an article about it.. so once i posted it here, I read that the date on it was from a long time ago, so i had to edit my post here.

Sorry, supersteve. :lol:

The reason I bumped this topic back up was because I saw an article about it.. so once i posted it here, I read that the date on it was from a long time ago, so i had to edit my post here.

Sorry, supersteve.  :lol:

No no, it was my bad. Sorry about that. I thought you were replying to what I had said earlier, and you were just mentioning his career. It was my bad, sorry about it.