What would it take to get Garcia?

Gene Honda Civic

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mari...50_stone03.html

One GM predicted the White Sox as the likeliest trade partner, suggesting young pitcher Jon Rauch and/or outfielders Aaron Rowand and Joe Borchard, a former Stanford quarterback, as possible returns. He also mentioned the Phillies and small-market teams Twins and Reds as darkhorses if they get pennant fever.

"I think Garcia will bring you back a good prospect," he said. "I'm not saying he would be in the 'A' category, but he's going to be a good 'B' category prospect."

Rauch and/or Rowand and Borchard? Um, do it. Sooner than later.

"I certainly think they'll get a shot at some pretty good prospects at the upper level, but I don't think they'll take someone's premium guy," said one GM. "It depends on the teams in the hunt, and how much they need pitching. Teams will overreact at times."

Nice find.

It depends on what money he's asking for exactly, and if we sign Maggs, etc. Few factors to consider in this. But if nothing else, that's not a bad price to pay for a "rent-a-player" at all. He could help take us very far, contract or no contract.

The popular assumption is that Garcia might as well pack his bags now, because he is as good as gone prior to the July 31 trading deadline.

I'll start making my "Welcome to Chicago Garcia" poster at any moment.

If you read the article, Seattle is doing what I've been saying all along, waiting for more bidders/ A clearer picture.

I talked about this same thing in another thread a few days ago about how it will take the Sox a bit more to get Garcia right now, because by giving up Garcia they would be forfeiting all possible deals at the trade deadline, when action for Garcia will naturally increase.

Who will pay the remaining 4.8 Mill on Garcia's contract?

JR refused to spend a penny over 52 Mill last year, and that was the year Sox hosted an All-Star game, a year that had special connection to 1983 and 1993.

Sox are at 65 Mill now, reportedly 5 Mill over the budget. No spike in attendance.

To say nothing of Steve Finley...

JR refused to spend a penny over 52 Mill last year, and that was the year Sox hosted an All-Star game, a year that had special connection to 1983 and 1993.

Sox are at 65 Mill now, reportedly 5 Mill over the budget.  No spike in attendance. 

I've read a couple places that KW has been given the go by JR to add on salary if necessary.

with maggs missing 4-7 weeks it makes me alittle nervous. If we trade 2 of our outfielders, who plays right field? If you say reed, what happens if he's a bust......

Rather than Borchard, I'd give them Rauch/Rowand/One more prospect. That way Joe Borchard would still be on our team, and he might even get a callup.

Kenny - if all they want is Rauch and Rowand. Give them something extra, nothing huge, but a lower level prospect, and get this deal done ASAP! We want Freddy!

Hmm, I found this interesting. In the Sporting News, on the little section called Inside Dish (P. 43), Ken Rosenthal has this to say about the Sox (Sorry, no link.):

"The White Sox represent another possible trade partner for the Mariners. GM Ken Williams badly wants to add a starting pitcher, but he likely would want Seattle to assume at least part of RHP Freddy Garcia's $6.875 million salary and include a young player if the Sox were to part with a major league ready outfield prospect such as Joe Borchard or Jeremy Reed."

Hmm, I found this interesting.  In the Sporting News, on the little section called Inside Dish (P. 43), Ken Rosenthal has this to say about the Sox (Sorry, no link.):

"The White Sox represent another possible trade partner for the Mariners.  GM Ken Williams badly wants to add a starting pitcher, but he likely would want Seattle to assume at least part of RHP Freddy Garcia's $6.875 million salary and include a young player if the Sox were to part with a major league ready outfield prospect such as Joe Borchard or Jeremy Reed."

awesome!!! :headbang Now lets ask them to throw in Guardado and we will add some more young players. Honel or Reed?

Guardado's numbers:

22 games

26 IP

13 Hits

5 Walks

29 Ks

1.04 ERA

.69 WHIP

.149 Batting Average Against

PLUS WE STICK IT TO THE TWINS AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Sox are at 65 Mill now, reportedly 5 Mill over the budget.  No spike in attendance. 

With 30+ mil coming off the payroll next yr JR may simply be willing to use some of that savings on going for it this yr where a WS appearance could be a huge boost for next yrs revenues. That and I beleive he's getting a nice chunk of change from the Yankmees luxury tax this yr.

With 30+ mil coming off the payroll next yr JR may simply be willing to use some of that savings on going for it this yr where a WS appearance could be a huge boost for next yrs revenues. That and I beleive he's getting a nice chunk of change from the Yankmees luxury tax this yr.

Good point man, I didnt think of it that way

Garcia wants $40 million over 4 years. We lose Maggs, Koch and Valentin, that's $25 million of payroll rite there. Include the increase the revenue, and we'll be major players in free agency this offseason perhaps. :o

That's probably the main reason something could be done. I could see us going over $70 mill, and if the players we bring in help us do some major damage come October, JR could be for bringing some of them back as well as doing some other signing on the FA market. If they flop and suck ass, we will be in the Cleveland Indians of 2002-03. :o

However, if we could get Eddie Guardado(with maybe only having to give up say Joe Crede...don't know how that would work, but maybe it could), you can then have a Harris at 2B, Valentin at SS, and Uribe at 3B, which then opens up the opportunity to bring in Steve Finley. Give us Eddie Guardado, Freddy Garcia, and Steve Finley, and I like our chances a hell of a lot. Have a lineup of

Harris - 2B

Uribe - 3B

Maggs - RF

Thomas - DH

Finley - CF

Konerko - 1B

Valentin - SS

Lee - LF

Olivo - C

and you are set. Konerko, Lee, and Uribe can be switched around(however, Konerko should never bat 2nd), as well as Uribe and Harris, but otherwise, you are looking real nice. If Maggs is out for an extended period of time, use Gload, move everyone up a spot, and put Gload in the #8 spot.

Not sure about anyone else, but I like that a hell of a lot. I can only hope it gets done.

Garcia wants $40 million over 4 years. We lose Maggs, Koch and Valentin, that's $25 million of payroll rite there. Include the increase the revenue, and we'll be major players in free agency this offseason perhaps.  :o

Which raises the question, is Garcia worth 10 Million a year, four years? Obviously, if he were to come here and dominate, we go to the playoffs, and the rest becomes a storybook ending, then we'd give it to him and more. But what if he comes here and just is alright? I mean, not dominating, but 2nd-3rd starter material. Mark Buerhle isn't making 10 million a year, and I consider him (right now) every bit as good a pitcher as Freddy Garcia.

Then again, here's what I think would happen if he came here - Ozzie would totally get Freddy to be focused, he'd have his head on straight, and we'd have the ace that we've always wanted. Mark Buerhle becomes one of the best #2's in the league, and that tandem leads us to World Series Titles from now till 2010! :headbang (Should that have been in pink?)

Which raises the question, is Garcia worth 10 Million a year, four years?  Obviously, if he were to come here and dominate, we go to the playoffs, and the rest becomes a storybook ending, then we'd give it to him and more.  But what if he comes here and just is alright?  I mean, not dominating, but 2nd-3rd starter material.  Mark Buerhle isn't making 10 million a year, and I consider him (right now) every bit as good a pitcher as Freddy Garcia. 

Then again, here's what I think would happen if he came here  -  Ozzie would totally get Freddy to be focused, he'd have his head on straight, and we'd have the ace that we've always wanted.  Mark Buerhle becomes one of the best #2's in the league, and that tandem leads us to World Series Titles from now till 2010!  :headbang (Should that have been in pink?)

That depends I guess, you'd probably be looking at a 3 yr $28 mil contract with a team option of $12 mil for a 4th yr. Is that too much? Well yes and no, yes if you have a bunch of AAA pitchers ready to move up like Seattle, no if your pitching prospects haven't panned out and you need that bridge pitcher til the next wave starts coming up like the Sox.

Btw, I don't think it's fair to compare what Buehrle and Garcia are making since they're at different points in the salary process.