Cubs starting pitching

Pirates were one of the better hitting teams on the road in NL.

A couple of bloopers and a wind-blown 360-foot homer aside.....Prior, Zambrano and Maddux were untouchable. Clement had an unbelievable start and Wood is Wood.

I hope they never get healthy and/or most players go through existential funks ala Konerko last year......Because if that teams is healthy, they are BY FAR the best team in NL, and a WS favorite.

If Sox split the upcoming series 3-3, I would be happy.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to say the pirates are the one of the best road hitting teams...still take a look at the lineup. It's not that great.

But yeah, with that pitching, they will be in contention all year. I'm just hoping that lineup continues to spin its wheels in the mud.

If Sox split the upcoming series 3-3, I would be happy.

I think the Sox can do allot better. Probably 4-2 just like last year. They play host to the Cubs on June 25-27.

The Cubs are 9-9 against the White Sox at Wrigley Field and 7-11 at U.S. Cellular Field.

But yeah, with that pitching, they will be in contention all year. I'm just hoping that lineup continues to spin its wheels in the mud

Let's be honest, the Cubs are a playoff team. Their starting pitchers are impressive and can win games. If they don't make it to the playoffs this year, I won't expect Maddux and all the other guys to stick around with Dusty and friends.

I think the Sox can do allot better. Probably 4-2 just like last year

To put it simply, Wood, Prior, Mddux, Clement and Zambrano are gonna crush Sox offense and their offense is gonbna beat up on the Sox pitching.

5-1 Cubs.

Now let's get Garcia, Finley and hope Prior, Wood, Sosa, Clement, Alou all get f***ed up. Then Sox could beat up on the Cubs. :headbang

To put it simply, Wood, Prior, Mddux, Clement and Zambrano are gonna crush Sox offense and their offense is gonbna beat up on the Sox pitching.

5-1 Cubs.

Now let's get Garcia, Finley and hope Prior, Wood, Sosa, Clement, Alou all get f***ed up. Then Sox could beat up on the Cubs. :headbang

Sweet confidence

Dont the Sox usually do good against good pitchers and then make bad pitchers look awesome ??

Mostly yes. Then I guess we'll make Greg Maddux look like Cy Young since he has been their "worst" pitcher. Wait... Greg has won a couple Cy Young awards... were f***ed. :lol:

Dont the Sox usually do good against good pitchers and then make bad pitchers look awesome ??

No. Good righties, with the exception of Roger Clemens, kill us.

I can only hope Jose and Gload are ready, because they will be needed(assuming Steve Finley isn't brought in in the meantime), being our only LH power hitters and all.

I would be happy with 3-3 as well. I like our starting pitching, but our 1-4

If their rotation can be healthy for 3 months(as in Prior-Wood-Zambrano-Maddux-Clement), they could go on a .700+ streak, no matter how good the offense is.

What's even scarier to think about is that the Cubs are a good leadoff hitter away from running away with the division WITHOUT Sammy and Wood.

This is an awesome year for the casual Chicago baseball fan and a nightmare for the die hards. Somehow we know that one team will blow it and the other will move on. Most years one sucks and the other is mediocre. The best of times, the worst of times. Depends on October.

No.  Good righties, with the exception of Roger Clemens, kill us. 

I can only hope Jose and Gload are ready, because they will be needed(assuming Steve Finley isn't brought in in the meantime), being our only LH power hitters and all.

I would be happy with 3-3 as well.  I like our starting pitching, but our 1-4

If their rotation can be healthy for 3 months(as in Prior-Wood-Zambrano-Maddux-Clement), they could go on a .700+ streak, no matter how good the offense is.

What's even scarier to think about is that the Cubs are a good leadoff hitter away from running away with the division WITHOUT Sammy and Wood.

Are we forgetting that they don't have a closer?

Their offense is too streaky (kind of like ours, except our leadoff hitters are MUCH better.) IMO. The Cubs really should have pursued Luis Castillo, he'd set the table perfectly.

Pettitte-Clemons-Oswalt-Miller-(Who is their fifth starter anyways?)

vs.

Wood-Prior-Clement-Zambrano-Maddux

vs.

St. Louis Offense, and sometimes Matt Morris.

vs.

Reds offense, and a reserugant (sp?) pitching staff.

vs.

Heroics of the Brew Crew and the Bucs.

Fun in the NL Central.

Are we forgetting that they don't have a closer?

No. Their closer is LaTroy Hawkins, much like Shingo Takatsu is ours.

Baker just pulled an Ozzie(or Ozzie pulled a Baker...or maybe they pulled each other :o :ph34r: ), and left Borowski in at closer too long, and it cost not only Prior a win, but the team a win as well. He'll put Hawkins in as closer from now on, and they'll be fine. And if they're not fine, Jose Mesa/Jorge Julio/Eddie Guardado/John Smoltz/Ugeuth Urbina will only cost a couple prospects that the Cubs have.

No.  Their closer is LaTroy Hawkins, much like Shingo Takatsu is ours.

Baker just pulled an Ozzie(or Ozzie pulled a Baker...or maybe they pulled each other  :o  :ph34r: ), and left Borowski in at closer too long, and it cost not only Prior a win, but the team a win as well.  He'll put Hawkins in as closer from now on, and they'll be fine.  And if they're not fine, Jose Mesa/Jorge Julio/Eddie Guardado/John Smoltz/Ugeuth Urbina will only cost a couple prospects that the Cubs have.

Hawkins should be their closer. Maybe Borowski was just injuried for the reason he was struggling. I don't like Joe as a closer, but I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think they will end up with Urbina IMHO.

Every Cubs-Sox series comes down to who wants it more. Say all you want about the Cubs starters, but our top four guys are just as good as their top four guys and if we get Garcia, our starting staff is just as good. I am shocked that some of you, cough brando cough, think we will win only one game. Even PoppyHidalgo would predict us winning at least two. The Sox always play well against the most talented teams.

No.  Their closer is LaTroy Hawkins, much like Shingo Takatsu is ours.

Baker just pulled an Ozzie(or Ozzie pulled a Baker...or maybe they pulled each other  :o  :ph34r: ), and left Borowski in at closer too long, and it cost not only Prior a win, but the team a win as well.  He'll put Hawkins in as closer from now on, and they'll be fine.  And if they're not fine, Jose Mesa/Jorge Julio/Eddie Guardado/John Smoltz/Ugeuth Urbina will only cost a couple prospects that the Cubs have.

And didn't Hawkins suck ass as a closer with the Twins?

Every Cubs-Sox series comes down to who wants it more. Say all you want about the Cubs starters, but our top four guys are just as good as their top four guys and if we get Garcia, our starting staff is just as good. I am shocked that some of you, cough brando cough, think we will win only one game. Even PoppyHidalgo would predict us winning at least two. The Sox always play well against the most talented teams.

I agree. I'll never let myself be afraid of the Cubs. They've been about .500 all year. You say that they've had injuries? Well lots of teams have..Look at the Angels. They've had more injuries than anybody..They're still in 1st.