Josh Fields Expected to Start in Winston Salem

Chisoxfn

Fields Likely to Move Through the System Quickly

By Jason Gage

June 8, 2004

FutureSox.com

A few hours after being selected in the 1st round (18th overall) by the Chicago White Sox, Fields was told that if he signed quickly he would be sent to Winston Salem. This should give the young 3rd baseman more incentive to sign quickly. The Sox went on to inform him that he would have a good shot at being promoted to Birmingham before season's end and could even start his professional debut in Birmingham.

FS Take: This move sounds odd out of the gate, especially since Ken Williams, Dave Wilder and the rest of the Sox staff seem to be making a point on moving players slowly through the system. They have done a good job of holding pitchers back as well as hitters and giving them time to make adjustments and get comfortable. You can make a point that even Ryan Sweeney and Brian Anderson are being moved along slower then the organization would have in years past.

However, upon further review, you'll notice that Micah Schnurstein is in Kannapolis and while Schnurstein is a talented 3rd base prospect (formely the best in the organization), it is also obvious that he isn't ready for a promotion to Winston Salem. This means for Fields to start in Kannapolis, you would either have to shift Micah or move Fields to 1st or left field, which wouldn't be wise if the Sox believe his future is at 3rd base.

Either way this should offer Fields more incentive to sign. While Fields is a college quarterback, he should give up the sport rather easily and the Sox won't be afraid to give him the money (doesn't project to be an overly large bonus), especially because they can spread out the signing bonus, due to the fact that he's a two-sport athlete.

For whatever reason, teams can spread out the signing bonus over a 5 year period (I think its 5 years) when its two sports. I'm assuming its part of the CBA. I don't know if that means they can spread it out, as in pay Fields in sums, or if somehow they can spread it out in the payroll department for whatever reason (since their isn't a salary cap, I'm not sure how it works).

For whatever reason, teams can spread out the signing bonus over a 5 year period (I think its 5 years) when its two sports.  I'm assuming its part of the CBA.  I don't know if that means they can spread it out, as in pay Fields in sums, or if somehow they can spread it out in the payroll department for whatever reason (since their isn't a salary cap, I'm not sure how it works).

I know if you sign a Minor league contract it get spread out over the life of the contract. Or at least that was my impression. Idon't know. :huh

I know if you sign a Minor league contract it get spread out over the life of the contract.  Or at least that was my impression.  Idon't know. :huh

I just know its always talked about. I'll try and look on the net and figure out exactly how it works. I'm trying to think of the purpose, unless it is to spread out the payments, which would make sense. I don't see how thats a good thing for the player, unless they somehow save on taxes this way as well.

Ok, here is how it works. The rule was created in 1995 and basically it was done to protect baseball teams from two sport athletes ditching. In the past a player could of signed a contract and then ditched baseball in a year while keeping the money he gained.

Now the signing bonus is spread to prevent the player from jumping so the Sox can pay Fields bonus over a 5 year period. To me thats a pretty nice thing and makes him incredibly forward.

The Twins did this with Joe Mauer if I recall.

Ok, here is how it works.  The rule was created in 1995 and basically it was done to protect baseball teams from two sport athletes ditching.  In the past a player could of signed a contract and then ditched baseball in a year while keeping the money he gained.

Now the signing bonus is spread to prevent the player from jumping so the Sox can pay Fields bonus over a 5 year period.  To me thats a pretty nice thing and makes him incredibly forward. 

The Twins did this with Joe Mauer if I recall.

Which would make sense why the Sox gave Borchard $5.3 mil.