Baseball Prospectus

IlliniKrush

For those of you unfamiliar with Baseball Prospectus, it's the bible of baseball basically, and here's the final paragraph from the 2 page article on them. I can go into more detail if people wish.

"To ice the division for the next couple of seasons, the Sox will have to quickly address the needs as they occur - a function most teams execute on the trade market. If Kenny Williams deals more talent for pennies on the dollar, the White Sox will fail. If he simply refuses any calls from Billy Beane or Dave Littlefield, the organization has a good chance to succeed just based on its in-house talent. If, by some strange development, Williams suddenly realizes what it takes to make a good trade - and it's the only thing he's missing as a general manger, because he's respected, well-liked, and looks great in a suit - the Sox have the resources to start a mini-dynasty. This club will go as far as their front office's abbility to avoid being abused in trades develops."

I couldn't agree more. Let's just hope Kenny Williams gets a clue on trading, as it will probably be addressed hopefully at the trade deadling to get a missing piece or two. That really put things in perspective for me. It seems like such a simple task, and it really isn't all that hard...if that's the only thing preventing us from a mini dynasty, wow B)

For those of you unfamiliar with Baseball Prospectus, it's the bible of baseball basically, and here's the final paragraph from the 2 page article on them. I can go into more detail if people wish.

"To ice the division for the next couple of seasons, the Sox will have to quickly address the needs as they occur - a function most teams execute on the trade market.  If Kenny Williams deals more talent for pennies on the dollar, the White Sox will fail.  If he simply refuses any calls from Billy Beane or Dave Littlefield, the organization has a good chance to succeed just based on its in-house talent.  If, by some strange development, Williams suddenly realizes what it takes to make a good trade - and it's the only thing he's missing as a general manger, because he's respected, well-liked, and looks great in a suit - the Sox have the resources to start a mini-dynasty.  This club will go as far as their front office's abbility to avoid being abused in trades develops."

I couldn't agree more. Let's just hope Kenny Williams gets a clue on trading, as it will probably be addressed hopefully at the trade deadling to get a missing piece or two.  That really put things in perspective for me.  It seems like such a simple task, and it really isn't all that hard...if that's the only thing preventing us from a mini dynasty, wow  B)

The Colon deal makes me think that, perhaps, he is getting the hang of it.

Guest hotsoxchick1

and you guys think i am bad when it comes to judgements on kw.... geez who ever wrote that makes me look like a saint.......glad to know im not the only one who thinks he sucks as a gm.................

The things that Baseball Prospectus does with statistics is amazing...it gives you the true value of a player in every possible way. However they do have articles on their website about pitcher abuse and other issues concerning the game, some of them don't always incorporate stats. But BP has some insight that sporting news just can't offer.

Knowing how he just fleeced the Expos and Yanks with the Colon trade, Id say KW is off to a flyin start on how to make trades...  :D :headbang

I'll agree that the colon deal was good........ but I think Kenny had less to do with it then we all think.....

Although I really like the Jimenez deal.

We'll see... The only downside is that he really weakened the organization's weakest point by trading away Humberto Quintero.

Quintero was very good defensively, but he would never of developed offensively.

I liked Fernandez, but it was a small price to pay for a top infield prospect, that can leadoff for the Sox for many years. Plus, Fernandez had quite a few guys ahead of him in the organization.

Knowing how he just fleeced the Expos and Yanks with the Colon trade, Id say KW is off to a flyin start on how to make trades...  :D   :headbang

I'll agree that the colon deal was good........ but I think Kenny had less to do with it then we all think.....

21 year old alex fernandez is battling for a CF job with the padres after hiotting 299 in AAA last year..would much rather have him than jimenez....we dont have a legit , go get um , CF due to show up until '07 in webster...we have a s***load of 2nd baseman..hell aaron miles might beat out jimenez

Knowing how he just fleeced the Expos and Yanks with the Colon trade, Id say KW is off to a flyin start on how to make trades...  :D   :headbang

21 year old alex fernandez is battling for a CF job with the padres after hiotting 299 in AAA last year..would much rather have him than jimenez....we dont have a legit , go get um , CF due to show up until '07 in webster...we have a s***load of 2nd baseman..hell aaron miles might beat out jimenez

D'Ang, is KW's boy, there is no way Miles can beat him out, maybe he'll play well enough for a trade or, maybe a bench spot, and Alex Fernandez wasn't invited to ST nor is he on the Padres 40 Man Roster.

Gary Glover will trun out to be a really good deal....

Especially considering we still have Glover and he has pitched decent for us....the Blue Jays have already gotten rid of Scott Eyre.

The Glover-Eyre deal already favors us...and will favor us more in the future. Glover is a pretty good pitcher.....and will only get better.

The Glover-Eyre deal already favors us...and will favor us more in the future.

Yeah, I would say we made out better than the Blue Jays, but Scott Eyre is turning into a halfway decent lefty out of the pen, and Kevin Beirne was 2-0 3.41 with the dodgers last year in 30 innings...so I am going to say that although we came out better than the Jays on the deal, we still lost some talent for Glover who has been mediocre so far. I think we should use Ginter more than Glover. Ginter was a damn good starting pitcher at Birmingham in 2000, and now he sucks as a reliever. We should be working with this guy a little more.

:bringit

The Glover-Eyre deal already favors us...and will favor us more in the future.

Yeah, I would say we made out better than the Blue Jays, but Scott Eyre is turning into a halfway decent lefty out of the pen, and Kevin Beirne was 2-0 3.41 with the dodgers last year in 30 innings...so I am going to say that although we came out better than the Jays on the deal, we still lost some talent for Glover who has been mediocre so far. I think we should use Ginter more than Glover. Ginter was a damn good starting pitcher at Birmingham in 2000, and now he sucks as a reliever. We should be working with this guy a little more.

The Beirne trade was for Wells. The Eyre deal was completely seperate.

I know some like Eyre, but Glover is really good.

I think when KW made this deal, he had Jiminez in mind as the eventual starting shortstop after Valentin is gone. That may still end up being the case, next season.

I thought the Wells trade was:

Sirotka, Beirne, Eyre, Simmons for Wells, Glover

Must have been Sirotka, Simmons and Beirne for Wells....but didn't Simmons return to Toronto because of the shouldergate scandal? I can't remember that far back....then again, I didn't really follow the trading and such back then as closely either.