KOCH TRADED!!!!!!!!!!!&#33

LostInBoston

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night, I overheard this on tv, and thought they were lying or just didn't think about it. Then, I was at work all day and then a doubleheader and just got home now. All I can say is great job KW. Way to show you are comitted to winning and admitting being wrong.

What are you referring?

And Stevie, the "Motherf***ing b****ass Dips*** Passionless Sox" thread was not a trade thread, thus disqualifying it from contention.

That is the final decision of this panel and cannot be reversed.

Let it be written. Let it be done.

:rolleyes:

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a little more about Valdez.

Valdez, 25, signed out of the Dominican Republic with the Expos in 1997 and went to the Marlins on a waiver claim in March 2002. His career began to turn around last year after a long talk with then-Florida third-base coach Ozzie Guillen, whom he's now reunited with in the White Sox organization, with Guillen serving his first year as Chicago's manager. Valdez is a line-drive, contact hitter who could bat second in a lineup if he drew some more walks. He has plus speed and good baserunning skills, and he has thrived at shortstop since moving from second base last year. His arm and range are assets. In 66 games at Triple-A Albuquerque, Valdez hit .319/.357/.400 with two homers, 25 RBIs and 19 steals in 31 attempts.

These words jumped out at me:

Valdez, 25, signed out of the Dominican Republic with the Expos in 1997 and went to the Marlins on a waiver claim in March 2002. His career began to turn around last year after a long talk with then-Florida third-base coach Ozzie Guillen, whom he's now reunited with in the White Sox organization, with Guillen serving his first year as Chicago's manager.

thanks YASNY!

Ozzie get's his man.

One of the things I thought of when the trade was announced was how well did Oz know the minor league system. Being a middle infielder, I assumed Oz kknew the guy and liked him.

New Marlins reliever Billy Koch was so certain the Chicago White Sox would trade him that he bet teammates Paul Konerko and Mark Buehrle $100 each that he would be gone before the All-Star break.

Koch won the bet when he was dealt to Florida after Thursday's game.

Sources said the White Sox will pick up all but about $500,000 of the $3.75 million owed to Koch this season. That could leave the Marlins enough leverage to acquire a player before the July 31 nonwaiver trade deadline.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/8961406.htm

New Marlins reliever Billy Koch was so certain the Chicago White Sox would trade him that he bet teammates Paul Konerko and Mark Buehrle $100 each that he would be gone before the All-Star break.

Koch won the bet when he was dealt to Florida after Thursday's game.

Sources said the White Sox will pick up all but about $500,000 of the $3.75 million owed to Koch this season. That could leave the Marlins enough leverage to acquire a player before the July 31 nonwaiver trade deadline.

At least we aren't paying him to blow our games anymore. We're now paying him to blow games for another team. :D

At least we aren't paying him to blow our games anymore.  We're now paying him to blow games for another team.  :D

Great Move Kenny! :rolleyes:

We trade a better reliever, get zero money leverage, a terrible player in return all the while continueing to watch Mike Jackson suck in mop-up duty.

Personally, I'd rather pay that 500k and have a better mop-up man, but thats just me.

First off, we didnt get a terrible player back, so your wrong about that one. Second, it all makes it worth it just because there was a chance Oz was going to give Koch the closer role back some point during the season. Now that is obviously eliminated. Just for that, the trade was worth it.

A 26 year old short stop in his first year at triple a... Don't we already have a bad utility player that belongs in the minors in Kelly Dransfeldt?

Getting rid of Koch was the best thing that could have happened to this team.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should re-think that decision.

Plain and simple, he doesn't get the job done anymore, he is not a closer.

Getting rid of Koch was the best thing that could have happened to this team.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should re-think that decision.

Plain and simple, he doesn't get the job done anymore, he is not a closer.

He's not a closer, fine, but he's a better 12th pitcher than Mike Jackson. Im trying to rethink my decision, but I just don't see how Kenny should be praised for making this deal, and how it helps this team for this season..

Obviously Oz had alot to do with the trade. Oz is going to be here for a while, and im glad he got the guy he wanted. If you read the page before, it says that Valdez turned it around last year after a talk with Ozzie. This deal is fine by me.

Getting Valdez is fine, I mean thats about all the Sox could have gotten for Koch, but if your saving just 500k, is it really necessary to trade a pitcher with more talent than other relievers in your bullpen when its pretty clear this is "the year"

For his first year in Triple-A his stats look like he's been there for awhile.

26 years old is NOT old. He has better tools thatn Dransfelt, Guillen had some high praises for him, he had no shot at playing with Alex Gonzalez and Castillo for the world champion Marlins although he almost made the team out of spring training. He was the final roster cut of the team I believe.

The only thing people are looking at is his age. Who cares? People put way too much stock into the age of a player. damn..if he was 2 years younger we'd have one hell of a player.

This guy won't be a starter for us but you never know, he could be a damn good man off the bench who could come in to run, bunt, field, whatever. We'll see him in Chicago this year, I'm sure of it.

The only thing people are looking at is his age. Who cares? People put way too much stock into the age of a player. damn..if he was 2 years younger we'd have one hell of a player.

People look at his age, because you don't normally see a 26 year old, first year triple a player blossom into even a serviceable player.

Kevin Millar turned into a nice player after being a 1st year 27 year old.

Valdez could've just been logjammed or whatever..I don't know. I just know his stats look good, Guillen is high on him and I seriously doubt Guillen would tell Kenny to bring someone in that he doesn't think he can do something with.