Kenny Williams on ESPN 1000

IlliniKrush

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

KW isn't to blame on the Maggs deal. If he's only given a $60 million budget, he can't spend 1/4 on one player.

This one is all about budget and KW doesn't make that decision. And, having witnessed this year's Soxfest question and answer that Steff and others spoke at I thought KW handled himself just fine. I don't remember him ever blaming attendance for the budget constraints. KW might have been a little feistier than he should have been with fans but I didn't think he was dishonest.

The almost deal that really throws me for a loop is the Contreras one. I guess I don't understand why the Yankees were interested in moving a Starter when they need another Starter. My only thought on that one is that they were going to take Reed and send him and Navarro to the Mariners for Garcia.

The almost deal that really throws me for a loop is the Contreras one.  I guess I don't understand why the Yankees were interested in moving a Starter when they need another Starter.  My only thought on that one is that they were going to take Reed and send him and Navarro to the Mariners for Garcia.

That's the true one.

The yanks had left Contreras for dead. When they were actively shopping him the didn't have as many starter concerns. And I'm sure if they were able to ship out Contreras, They would have had a plan in place to get Garcia, or better.

Contreras has turned the corner and is pitching well of late. The yanks aren't shopping him like they were before.

like most all sox fans....i would rather see Maggs in RF for a few more years...but a couple of things still bother me about the way some Sox fans are approaching this topic.

First of all...it takes 2 to tango. Despite insisting that he wants to stay here...KW can't make Maggs sing a contract. i remember a while back Chris Chelios saying he would NEVER NEVER play for Detroit....yet where did he end up the next year.

Just because Maggs SAYS he wants to stay....doesn't make it true. I guess what i'm saying is if the deal doesn't get done.....the problem could be on Maggs' side not KW's.

Second of all...though Maggs is a real good player....he is not irreplacable. I remember last year when the Sox were letting the division slip away to the Twins....Everett was the only guy hitting the ball. Maggs disappeared as quickly as alot of sox hitters did. He wants big-time money...he needs to prove he isn't going to disappear during the big-time stretches.

I may be considered a 'blasphemer' by some saying this but like i said...i want Maggs is RF as much as anyone else but i think the Sox offer was about right. If Maggs leaves..take that money add it to the Colon money (they didn't spend on a starter this year) and buy the best damn starter and/or closer on the free agent market.

juddling

:fthecubs :cheers

KW isn't to blame on the Maggs deal.  If he's only given a $60 million budget, he can't spend 1/4 on one player.

This one is all about budget and KW doesn't make that decision.  And, having witnessed this year's Soxfest question and answer that Steff and others spoke at I thought KW handled himself just fine.  I don't remember him ever blaming attendance for the budget constraints.  KW might have been a little feistier than he should have been with fans but I didn't think he was dishonest.

KW isn't to blame on the Maggs deal. If he's only given a $60 million budget, he can't spend 1/4 on one player.

It all goes back to The Jerry and his group. 2002. 2003. And possibly 2004 (hopefully not).

I would say it was the Contreas deal. KW said that the deal was about to be done but the team suffered an injury....

Hmm... I'll have to listen to the reply on the way home from work, but definitely sounds like the JC deal, then.

I think they'll have extra anyway.. somehting about some crazy "female fan"..  :ph34r:

I wasn't there, but I remember somebody citicized Kenny's offseason moves, then Ozzie snapped back saying that he wan't done yet. IIRC, At the time of Soxfest they had Uribe, but did they have Shingo, as well? I'm wondering if they had him or not because if we already had him, then Kenny apparently was done in the offseason. Can you verify that at all?

I wasn't there, but I remember somebody citicized Kenny's offseason moves, then Ozzie snapped back saying that he wan't done yet. IIRC, At the time of Soxfest they had Uribe, but did they have Shingo, as well? I'm wondering if they had him or not because if we already had him, then Kenny apparently was done in the offseason. Can you verify that at all?

A lot of people did a little bit of questioning the unprovens (Willie, Shingo, Uribe...). Not so much what they had done or not done.. a lot was made of not replacing Colon. Some complaining about getting rid of Miles. That's about most of it.

A lot of people did a little bit of questioning the unprovens (Willie, Shingo, Uribe...). Not so much what they had done or not done.. a lot was made of not replacing Colon. Some complaining about getting rid of Miles. That's about most of it.

Hopefully we don't have to worry about it, but if we don't make the playoffs and maggs leaves, it could get nasty as soxfest.

It will be interesting to see how the Sox front office handles attendance questions if attendance is up this year. Looking at the Braves series I think the Sox have the potential to break 2 million this year (based on the fact that they were close last year).

If this happens and the with the Sox getting the new TV deal which wouldn't be done unless it meant more $$$$ the Sox are going to start running out of excuses if Maggs leaves and they don't sign an impact free agent or at least resign Loiza (although the Yankees will probably overpay for Loiza if he keeps his numbers where they are at right now)

It will be interesting to see how the Sox front office handles attendance questions if attendance is up this year.  Looking at the Braves series I think the Sox have the potential to break 2 million this year (based on the fact that they were close last year).

Based solely on my own projections. Using last years attendence #'s at this time vs. last years, we will easily break the 2 MIL mark.

There's already been 150,000 extra fans out this year. Last season, we drew 1.9 MIL.

I expect that if we stay in the race we will draw the most fans to the south side since 1993. --