reed vs anderson

RNemz43

Reed will have better OBP and less Ks and less power (unless he picks up power like a Blalock did). Anderson better OF, better power, more Ks, worse OBP. Both decent baserunners.

Blalock didn't just pick up the power out of nowhere. He is surprisingly strong and has a quick bat. The only thing he needed to become a legit slugger was to actively try to elevate the ball - well, he had to make contact with the ball first :lol:

Nothing I saw of Reed (which admittedly is 2 series worth) indicates he will be that kind of a player. I agree on the high OBP part, though.

Anderson/Sweeney are a different story as far as power potential.

Brando, Reed may hit 20 this year with a recovering wrist, I think he could hit more eventually.

I agree.... many good hitters develop power after they got to the big leagues. I wouldn't put 20-25 a year or more past the possibilities with Reed.

Blalock didn't just pick up the power out of nowhere. He is surprisingly strong and has a quick bat.    The only thing he needed  to become a legit slugger was to actively try to elevate the ball - well, he had to make contact with the ball first  :lol:

Nothing I saw of Reed (which admittedly is 2 series worth) indicates he will be that kind of a player. I agree on the high OBP part, though.

Anderson/Sweeney are a different story as far as power potential.

Brandos right.... plus Blaylock has an uppercut swing.. When he makes contact with the ball its a violent swing

Brando, Reed may hit 20 this year with a recovering wrist, I think he could hit more eventually.

You're right, I didn't want to mention the wrist thing because I've said it so many times already, it may come off as if I am making excuses for the guy. Which I kinda am. :lol:

Reed has the eye, coordination, mechanics and just the right amount of strenght and quickness to hit for some power, no question. I have no idea who started the "Reed is nothing but a glorified Caruso" myth. Probably RDIVALDI.

But he will not be the 30-40 HR hitter Blalock is - and that's a good thing IMO if it means he spanks a lot of "extra" singles, doubles, triples and draws walks. I remember Edgar Martinez hitting something like 20 HR but driving in 140+ runs a few years back. Some people actually thought Greg Vaughn was a better slugger than Edgar that year because of the HR disparity between the two. :headshake

Yes, I agree, Blalock already has close to 25 at all star break. So Reed does not have his power. I bet he can come fairly close to George Brett numbers some day tho. I just wish we had given up on Borchard instead, if what people say is true, that Seattle would have taken Borchard over Reed.

Everything I have ever read saids that Anderson has a much higher ceiling than Reed.  It just sounds like Reed is utilizing much more of his potential right now than Anderson.

Anderson aside for a moment, "high ceiling" is a funny concept.

And I agree that you need plenty of "tools" to survive in the bigs.

BUT.....What good is size/strenght/quickness if you

a) can't see the pitch well

b.) can't make contact with that pitch

c) lack patience and discipline

d) lack utmost confidence in your abilities

e) are lazy/uncoachable

That's why I always hear about raw talents like Anthony Webster and Chris Young and the future superstar comparisons and remain skeptical.

Young has way better baseball talent and instincts than Webster, just look at his patience with walks etc... He may K alot, but possibly some of those are looking at strike 3 and could change as umping gets better on his way up.

I realize he may bomb, but I think we have a keeper here and would not doubt if he becomes the best of the lot of our young OFs.

Whatever careers both players turn out to have, it's clear Sox mgmt believe Anderson is the future sox CFer.

So Anderson has more power, better speed, probably covers more ground in CF. I liked Reed. but anderson seems to have more tools than Reed. That's one reason why Baseball America ranked Reed at #25 after his stellar 2003 year, projecting him as a corner OF rather than a CFer.

Young has way better baseball talent and instincts than Webster, just look at his patience with walks etc... He may K alot, but possibly some of those are looking at strike 3 and could change as umping gets better on his way up.

I realize he may bomb, but I think we have a keeper here and would not doubt if he becomes the best of the lot of our young OFs.

Speaking of anthony, how's he doing? I haven't heard much about him since he got dealt.

Speaking of anthony, how's he doing?  I haven't heard much about him since he got dealt.

I just looked up his stats out of curiousity...he is with high A Stockton batting .267 with 18 doubles, 6 triples, and 7 HRs. 39 RBI, 32 BB, 58 Ks, 17/20 stolen base attempts. He leads his team with 52 runs.

I totally agree with you on Young. Webster has pretty good physical skills, but Young is just in an entirely different league. His combination of speed and power is off the charts for a 20 year old. Not only does he have 14 homers, he also has 21 doubles. Imagine the power he will have three or four years down the road when he fully develops his strength. While his strikeouts are a concern, he is walking more than enough to counter that problem. Honestly, I think he has the highest ceiling among all of our outfielders, but he needs to become a better pure hitter if he wants to reach it.

I just looked up his stats out of curiousity...he is with high A Stockton batting .267 with 18 doubles, 6 triples, and 7 HRs. 39 RBI, 32 BB, 58 Ks, 17/20 stolen base attempts. He leads his team with 52 runs.

Those are pretty good stats, but I don't think he's been missed much. We've got that and more in Young, like MnSoxFan said. By the way, for anyone wondering about Rupe (who I think most of us thought would be the best of the players we traded for Carl), he's 2-0 w/ a 1.50 ERA in 18 IP, while rehabing in Spokane (rookie league).

Those are pretty good stats, but I don't think he's been missed much.  We've got that and more in Young, like MnSoxFan said.  By the way, for anyone wondering about Rupe (who I think most of us thought would be the best of the players we traded for Carl), he's 2-0 w/ a 1.50 ERA in 18 IP, while rehabbing in Spokane (rookie league).

Rupe was just promoted up to High A ball.

The original question here is who is better. Anderson or Reed. I would have liked to have found out the easy way, by having them in the same outfield for years. Now I fear that we will trade Anderson for an overpaid .500 pitcher -- either this year or next.

I think Anderson has more upside for 3 reasons.

1) He has much more power potential. Anderson could be a 25+ HR/30+ 2B calibur player(like Torri Hunter). I doubt that Reed will hit over 20 HR's in a season, and I highly doubt that he will do it consistantly.

2) Defensively, Anderson is a GG calibur CF with a great arm. Reed is a so-so defensive CF with a below average arm, and is better suited for LF. One of the funniest things I read is when Stark(on ESPN) compared Reed's defense in CF to Mike Cameron. It makes me wonder how guys like Stark get paid to write articles, when it is clear that he has never seen Reed play consistantly, and is drasticly overhyping him based on word of mouth.

3) Athletism and speed. Reed is a classic case of a hard worker who is making the most of what he has been given, which should be considered a positive. Anderson is the type of guy that has potential/talent/athletism oozing from his pores. Reed might have a higher SB total, but the fact that he gets caught stealing so often goes unnoticed. I hold the opinion, that if a player is only sucessful in roughly 67%(or fewer) of his attempts, than he does the team as much harm as good. The risk of an out(and lose of a baserunner) is not worth the risk of moving up one base if this is the case(IMO). So Reed's 70% sucess rate last year and 67% sucess rate this year tell me that his SB are almost irrelivent. Anderson on the other hand has more pure speed and appears to be a better baserunner, and a much higher sucess rate. While he might have a few less SB, his higher rate makes him a much more effective base stealer.

I figure that they will put up similar BA. Reed will probably have a higher OBP due to the amount of walks he draws. I think the comparison of a healthy Kotsay is accurate for Reed. I think the comparison to Torri Hunter with a little better BA is accurate for Anderson. Given the choice, I would take the Torri Hunter with a little better BA.

PS It would take a crowbar to pry Anderson away from the Sox. He is probably as close to untouchable as you can be. There is no way that they will trade Anderson after trading Reed.

PS It would take a crowbar to pry Anderson away from the Sox. He is probably as close to untouchable as you can be. There is no way that they will trade Anderson after trading Reed.

You say this with nothing to back it up other than we traded Reed, who you already said was better suited for LF.

You say this with nothing to back it up other than we traded Reed, who you already said was better suited for LF.

The simple point that I was trying to make, in the section that you quoted, was that the Sox will not trade Anderson, especially now that they have traded Reed, Borchard is looking more like a bust with each passing day, and Maggs becoming a FA at the end of the year. That was the simple point I was trying to make. The Sox had enough outfield depth to trade ONE of their top outfield prospects, and that guy turned out to be Reed. I would bet 1,000 dollars that Anderson makes his major league debut with the White Sox. Call it a hunch or call it common sense, but Anderson isn't going anywhere.

The simple point that I was trying to make, in the section that you quoted, was that the Sox will not trade Anderson, especially now that they have traded Reed, Borchard is looking more like a bust with each passing day, and Maggs becoming a FA at the end of the year. That was the simple point I was trying to make. The Sox had enough outfield depth to trade ONE of their top outfield prospects, and that guy turned out to be Reed. I would bet 1,000 dollars that Anderson makes his major league debut with the White Sox. Call it a hunch or call it common sense, but Anderson isn't going anywhere.

There is really no such thing as an untouchable prospect. If the right deal comes along Kenny will not hesitate to deal Anderson. That doesn't mean he is throwing him around like a bidding chip. I agree it is unlikely that he will be dealt, but you never know with prospects.

There is really no such thing as an untouchable prospect. If the right deal comes along Kenny will not hesitate to deal Anderson. That doesn't mean he is throwing him around like a bidding chip. I agree it is unlikely that he will be dealt, but you never know with prospects.

Actually, I have seen NUMEROUS untouchable prospects. In fact, almost every team has what they consider an untouchable prospect, or a player they just won't give up, especially for a rent-a-player. Watch and learn as the trade deadline approaches. You will see multiple deals get nixed because one team is unwilling to part with a top prospect. Your above statement is simple incorrect. Lets just say the word on the street is that the Sox are really high on Anderson(much higher on him than Reed, which is why Reed was traded), and won't trade him.