Pavano and Benitez on the Market?

RibbieRubarb

I'd rather have Benitiz.  I would love to get another RH pitcher in the pen that we can trust.  Pavano would be nice, don't get me wrong, but I am much more worried about the pen.

I don't think we need a real top guy like Benitez though, someone like Terry Adams or Luis Vizcaino who will more likely be available and do a real good job against lefties (averages of .203 and .205). Ron Villone will be one of the best lefties available.

Pavano would put us over the top, and it'd be interesting to see what we'd hav to giv up to get him, since he'll be a free agent after the season. But wouldn't a rotation of Garcia, Buerhle, Pavano, Loaiza and Garland be sweet.

I don't think we need a real top guy like Benitez though, someone like Terry Adams or Luis Vizcaino who will more likely be available and do a real good job against lefties (averages of .203 and .205). Ron Villone will be one of the best lefties available.

Pavano would put us over the top, and it'd be interesting to see what we'd hav to giv up to get him, since he'll be a free agent after the season. But wouldn't a rotation of Garcia, Buerhle, Pavano, Loaiza and Garland be sweet.

I agree. That rotation would be ridiculous. The back end of the bullpen is pretty solid right now with politte, damaso and shingo another solid reliever would be fine but we don't need a benitez. Another top of the rotation starter would be huge considering it's pretty hard to trust esty right now. A playoff rotation of Pavano, Garcia and Buehrle would be awesome.

I agree.  That rotation would be ridiculous.  The back end of the bullpen is pretty solid right now with politte, damaso and shingo another solid reliever would be fine but we don't need a benitez.  Another top of the rotation starter would be huge considering it's pretty hard to trust esty right now.  A playoff rotation of Pavano, Garcia and Buehrle would be awesome.

It wouldn't matter if we're losing games 3-0 or 3-1...

our offense is suddenly constipated.

I'd rather have Benitiz.  I would love to get another RH pitcher in the pen that we can trust.  Pavano would be nice, don't get me wrong, but I am much more worried about the pen.

Me too. Benitez, Guillermo Mota or any other hard throwing reliever. Luis Vizcaino is interesting too. Pavano has pitched well tho, But it ain't gonna be for Elo, Jackson and Shoney :nono

No thanks for Terry Adams, He blown monkey balls, I'll pass ;)

Me too. Benitez, Guillermo Mota or any other hard throwing reliever. Luis Vizcaino is interesting too. Pavano has pitched well tho, But it ain't gonna be for Elo, Jackson and Shoney  :nono

Mota won't be available. Why do we have to get a hard throwing reliever? I'd could care less how hard they throw, just get some outs.

Mota won't be available.  Why do we have to get a hard throwing reliever?  I'd could care less how hard they throw, just get some outs.

True, but the bullpen needs someone to intimadate a lil. then you bring shingo and the frisbee and the other teams timing goes straight to hell :lol:

I read that Mota could be had from L.A. Don't remember where tho ;)

Mota isn't going anywhere. If they wouldn't give him up for Beltran, I doubt there is any chance we would get him(he was rumored to be part of a Maggs deal, but that was preseason). Pavano would be awesome, but he won't come cheap. If we could sign him long term, that might give us a better top 3 than the A's for the next few years. I'm not sure what it would take, I'm sure it would start with Borchard, and add some other top prospects like Anderson/Sweeney, or maybe Munoz/Diaz(don't think these guys have a ton of value though). It seems like they need position players a lot more than pitchers. If he became available I would imagine Anaheim and Texas would be all over him, meaning we'd be screwed, because they have a lot more ammo. As for the pen, I think Benitez would actually cause some problems if we got him. Shingo is dominating as a closer right now, so it seems like if we added another top of the line closer, we would either piss off the new guy by making him a setup guy, put Shingo back in setup and aggravate him and thus remove that awesome entrance, or use the dreaded closer by committee. Someone like Mota would be awesome, but he won't be dealt. Not sure who we could get that would be along those lines.

The Los Angeles Daily News says that reliever Guillermo Mota is likely to be traded by the Dodgers before the deadline. GM Paul DePodesta acknowledged that several teams have made feelers for the pitcher who has the stuff to be a closer and is very affordable at $1.475 million despite having third-year arbitration rights after the season.

This is from July 15th.

The Los Angeles Daily News says that reliever Guillermo Mota is likely to be traded by the Dodgers before the deadline. GM Paul DePodesta acknowledged that several teams have made feelers for the pitcher who has the stuff to be a closer and is very affordable at $1.475 million despite having third-year arbitration rights after the season.

This is from July 15th.

I'm assuming they will want a major league ready bat.

This is from July 15th.

Interesting, I hadn't seen that. I guess I stand corrected. If we can find a way to get him, that would be a slam dunk. They aren't going to give him away though, I'm sure they're going to make some ridiculous demands like Lee or Rowand and prospects. Pavano isn't that young, he's 28. I'd still love to have him. I'd give up all of the Charlotte roster, and most of the Barons if we could get both of those guys. I still doubt they would deal him when they are in contention.

True, but the bullpen needs someone to intimadate a lil. then you bring shingo and the frisbee and the other teams timing goes straight to hell  :lol:

That is supposed to be Politte's job. He can and does throw in the mid to upper 90's.