Cycling vs. Nascar

Is Nascar or Cycling more of a sport?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Is Nascar or Cycling more of a sport?

• Cycling
    • Nascar
    • Neither

Yeah it doesn't really hold up.  Doing something outside of competition means you're not doing the same thing.  You can shoot hoops outside of competition, you can golf outside of competition, so what.

But you are changing the sport when you are shooting hoops by yourself. Whatever, this argument is a waste of time.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, yeah, they're "events", but they're athletic events.

classify them as whatever type of event you want just as long as it is not a sport.

I hate how they say that NASCAR is the most attended. It isn't. How many baseball games are played in a week? month? year? Add up the total attendance for that and I am sure it outdraws NASCAR every which way. I am sure football and basketball does as well.

It doesn't take a whole lot of athletic ability to drive a car real fast!

I do it every day.

Apparently you know nothing about driving in NASCAR.

I still don't understand why so many shorts are in a wad over it. I can't stand basketball or golf, but panties don't get in a twist over it...

NASCAR has 41 events per year with an average of 700K in attendance (give or take 20 or 30K here and there..).. that's 28,700,000 people. That's a lot of people. And doesn't even include the other divisions (Cart, Bush, etc..)

Edited to correct the # of races

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2004/data/schedule.html

THere was 900,000 fans stretched along the 10 mile course of Alpe d'Huez today.

NASCAR has 41 events per year with an average of 700K in attendance (give or take 20 or 30K here and there..).. that's 28,700,000 people. That's a lot of people. And doesn't even include the other divisions (Cart, Bush, etc..)

Edited to correct the # of races

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2004/data/schedule.html

So if we take every baseball game played during the season we don't come up with more people than 28-29 million? I believe we do. Football may or may not pass that just because of the amount of games played are less. Basketball may be close as well however the stadiums are much smaller. This is also not including minor leagues and college attendance. No doubt NASCAR has a lot of people attending, but I highly doubt it is the most attended.

So if we take every baseball game played during the season we don't come up with more people than 28-29 million? I believe we do. Football may or may not pass that just because of the amount of games played are less.  Basketball may be close as well however the stadiums are much smaller. This is also not including minor leagues and college attendance. No doubt NASCAR has a lot of people attending, but I highly doubt it is the most attended.

Ya know what SSI.. I don't know. I do know that it makes the most un-advertised money. That speaks volumes. Their fans are very loyal and they travel many, many miles to see races. How many baseball fans do you know that travel hours to see a baseball game? I asked my dad (who is an avid NASCAR fan about the attendance in Joliet 2 weeks ago and I guess it was up near a million people just on Sunday. That does not account for the Friday and Saturday events which are normally sold out as well from what I am told. So if 700K show up each day of the weekend.. that's 2.1 million a weekend. Over 41 weekends that's 86 million people. That's a lot of people. And no, I don't think 86 million people attend baseball games. I'd bet the farm that 60 million people per year do NOT attend baseball games (30 teams, 2 million per year per team - and we know for a fact that many teams don't get close to that #, my guess would be much closer to a 40 million number). And I didn't know you were including college and the minors in there.. I guess I could try to get #'s from all the racing events... I had no idea, but there are a lot more than just the NASCAR, Cart, and Bush series.

I suppose my point - if i can find one here - is that there are a lot of people who like NASCAR (arguably more than baseball...). Different strokes for different folks. I simply don't understand why they get so much s*** for it. Don't like it.. keep on keepin on.... :lol:

I agree with danman. If me driving down the highway is a sport, then NASCAR is a sport. A competiton doesnt necessarily make it a sport.

No, you don't agree with Danman, because now you're changing the event. First of all, you're driving in a pretty much straight line. Second, you're going 1/3 the speed. There's not 41 other cars bumping and rubbing you. I could go on, but I'll stop.

If people don't want to call NASCAR a sport, fine. But, it is beyond me how anyone can compare driving in their car down the highway to a NASCAR event.

No, you don't agree with Danman, because now you're changing the event. First of all, you're driving in a pretty much straight line. Second, you're going 1/3 the speed. There's not 41 other cars bumping and rubbing you. I could go on, but I'll stop.

If people don't want to call NASCAR a sport, fine. But, it is beyond me how anyone can compare driving in their car down the highway to a NASCAR event.

It's because they don't understand how it works. It's like saying OH I HIT A FLY WITH A NEWSPAPER THE OTHER DAY I GUESS THAT MAKES ME AN ATHLETE I COULD BE IN THE MAJOR LEAUGES

I suppose my point - if i can find one here - is that there are a lot of people who like NASCAR (arguably more than baseball...). Different strokes for different folks. I simply don't understand why they get so much s*** for it. Don't like it.. keep on keepin on....  :lol:

Thank you, Steff! :notworthy

It's because they don't understand how it works.  It's like saying OH I HIT A FLY WITH A NEWSPAPER THE OTHER DAY I GUESS THAT MAKES ME AN ATHLETE I COULD BE IN THE  MAJOR LEAUGES

Yeah, you know what, I can hit HRs in softball and wiffleball, so I should be hitting clean up in the bigs, right? rolleyeyes.gif

Hey that's great.  What do you think I could make in the majors?  I am hitting over .700 and playing a good SS.

You would go directly to the Hall!

I'll be out your wa this weekend, Mike. We have a state tourney in La Porte Saturday and Sunday.

It's because they don't understand how it works.  It's like saying OH I HIT A FLY WITH A NEWSPAPER THE OTHER DAY I GUESS THAT MAKES ME AN ATHLETE I COULD BE IN THE  MAJOR LEAUGES

OMG Spiff.. coffee everywhere!!!! :headbang

Just mention Nascar and watch the posts fly :ph34r:

SS2k4, forget the .700 batting average in above average range at ss. After doing a little computing, and using a run of the mill keyboard, you are expending more energy and displaying better fine motor skill in posting 125 times per day at an average word count of 30, including spaces. :notworthy You, my friend, as a poster, are a much better athlete than most Nascar drivers. ;)

Ya know what SSI.. I don't know. I do know that it makes the most un-advertised money. That speaks volumes. Their fans are very loyal and they travel many, many miles to see races. How many baseball fans do you know that travel hours to see a baseball game? I asked my dad (who is an avid NASCAR fan about the attendance in Joliet 2 weeks ago and I guess it was up near a million people just on Sunday. That does not account for the Friday and Saturday events which are normally sold out as well from what I am told. So if 700K show up each day of the weekend.. that's 2.1 million a weekend. Over 41 weekends that's 86 million people. That's a lot of people. And no, I don't think 86 million people attend baseball games. I'd bet the farm that 60 million people per year do NOT attend baseball games (30 teams, 2 million per year per team - and we know for a fact that many teams don't get close to that #, my guess would be much closer to a 40 million number). And I didn't know you were including college and the minors in there.. I guess I could try to get #'s from all the racing events... I had no idea, but there are a lot more than just the NASCAR, Cart, and Bush series.

I suppose my point - if i can find one here - is that there are a lot of people who like NASCAR (arguably more than baseball...). Different strokes for different folks. I simply don't understand why they get so much s*** for it. Don't like it.. keep on keepin on....  :lol:

I now a bunch that travel to see the White Sox play. College football fans travel a lot to see their teams play. I definately don't think there are more people that enjoy or are a fan of NASCAR than baseball or football.

l also think pro wrestling outdraws all of them. Is pro wrestling a sport? I think not. I think they get so much s*** for it because of the stereotypes surrounding it. All of the people that I know that like it do fit that stereotype. That and they keep on wanting to push it and claim it as a sport when it really shouldn't be classified as one. Classify it as anything else they want and if they enjoy it then they shouldn't care what it is classified as, so I don't know why many of them feel the need to push it as a sport.