music

hi8is

QUOTE(Spiff @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 05:45 AM)
1) I read an article in AP about Ian Curtis's last days a few months ago.  Really chilling stuff, comments from the band about how they didn't have any idea what was going on with him.  I don't care if Joy Division/New Order gets a ton of pub, they spawned a whole (latent) generation of imitators.

2) Pelican - The fire in our throats will beckon the thaw = awesome album.

i can listen to a song of pelican and be happy, but an entire album gets played out real quick...

i don't think as many people would know joy division today if it wasn't for "imitators"...people who use them now most of the time just want to sound cool

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Spiff @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
1) I read an article in AP about Ian Curtis's last days a few months ago.  Really chilling stuff, comments from the band about how they didn't have any idea what was going on with him.  I don't care if Joy Division/New Order gets a ton of pub, they spawned a whole (latent) generation of imitators.

2) Pelican - The fire in our throats will beckon the thaw = awesome album.

I think I saw Pelican about a year ago open for someone else at The Bottom Longue. Are they purely instrumental??

Where'd you find their latest record?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
I think I saw Pelican about a year ago open for someone else at The Bottom Longue. Are they purely instrumental??

Where'd you find their latest record?

Yeah they're purely instrumental, I found it at Newbury Comics. Any mid-sized record store should have it.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
Yeah they're purely instrumental, I found it at Newbury Comics.  Any mid-sized record store should have it.

YEP, I saw them about a year ago. Kinda strange to see a purely instrumental rock band in a live setting. I wasn't blown away, but I'll never forget them.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
IMO the new Death Cab for Cutie cd is awesome.

:huh: i guess for death cab fans it could be an alright cd...

and i'm listening to the dears no cities lost...don't lose the faith is a great song...it does seem to be a bit cliche, at points it almost feels like cover songs? The man has a great voice though...(especially when i was just listening to Clap your hands say yeah)

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)

and i'm listening to the dears no cities lost...don't lose the faith is a great song...it does seem to be a bit cliche, at points it almost feels like cover songs? The man has a great voice though...(especially when i was just listening to Clap your hands say yeah)

Stay with it and give it a few spins, the rest of it might grow on you.

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)

This is actually the first cd I've ever listened to by them

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
They remind me of the Postal Service minus the electronic computer beat stuff.

OH...them... :huh:

Man, I think I have fallen out of touch with music to a degree.

Back to my Bing Crosby and Andrew Sisters CD.

I checked out the Death Cab though...

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)

were you talking about them or clap your hands say yeah?...cause both kind of suck

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
were you talking about them or clap your hands say yeah?...cause both kind of suck

I listened to the clap your hands say yeah the other day with my buddies, I couldnt deal with the monotonous lyrics and the average music...

The Dears are ok, the guy does have a good voice.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
I listened to the clap your hands say yeah the other day with my buddies, I couldnt deal with the monotonous lyrics and the average music...

The Dears are ok, the guy does have a good voice.

the only things that get on my nerves from CYHSY is they really are just like a compilation of a lot of bands mixed into one, which makes me worry if this abundance of good music in the scene is ending, or if this band was just very good at mixing a variety of influences. But songs like yellow country teeth with that opening twang bit of guitar and Heavy metal, the way he sings what ever happened to heavy metal in such a peculiar, and awesome way, it makes the songs. They aren't the most original band out there but they put out a damn good debut and thats worth the attention they recieved.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

KG, after about 1965, everything is just a rip off anyway, you ain't missin' much.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:21 PM)
Man...I've been taking a beating around this place lately. You would think I deserved it or something because I was overly opinionated.   :D

at least its better than this story:

this girl was at this lecture from a guest speaker who was a leading DJ in the field of 'sampling' and such...and the girl asked a question on where he'd found the samples or something to that accord, to which this speaker took offense ... (paraphrased) "What do you mean by sampled? If I were to take a field recording, and render the sounds completely different, and use it in my set, would it be sampling? If i were to take sounds from an artist and make them into a whole different tempo as to be unrecognizable, is that sampling? Besides, every artist 'samples'. Every noise created on a guitar, is inherently sampling from the inventor of the guitar, because with this instrument he also created every sound on it. So unless they create their own instrument, they are sampling his noises"

This is of course complete bulls***...because YES, if he takes a field recording it is sampling because it was someone elses sounds, that they composed, and if he takes an artists beats, even changing them, he started off by 'sampling' someone elses notes. And Saying you have to invent an instrument to have the sounds be original is like saying i am sampling from apple because i'm using their machine to type...

Sorry, a bit off topic but i hate soo many djs...(i would say all but i heart dj shadow, aphex twin and four tet(though he doesn't sample i don't think), and the go! team)

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
I was just listening to Eric B. and Rakim's Paid in full in its entirety last night, i played it at a party i was having...and it was soooo good...

Classic and timeless. People grip Tupac's nuts, he didn't have s*** on Rakim. Whatever happened to hip-hop?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
Classic and timeless.  People grip Tupac's nuts, he didn't have s*** on Rakim.  Whatever happened to hip-hop?

I don't know...listening to the more gritty beats really just made me despise how clean everything is now. Everything really is way to over produced

(now i'll pump up saul williams)

do you have any other hip hop albums around that time i should get? I really just have eric b. and rakims s*** and then rakims solo

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
I don't know...listening to the more gritty beats really just made me despise how clean everything is now. Everything really is way to over produced

(now i'll pump up saul williams)

do you have any other hip hop albums around that time i should get? I really just have eric b. and rakims s*** and then rakims solo

Im a really big fan of GURU: Jazzmatazz volume 1. All three of his albums are great, but his first is really awesome. Other than that, I am a big fan of Jurassic 5