music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
good-apollo.jpg

Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV:  From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

This is my album of the year.  Check it out if you're at all into prog, pop-rock, science-fiction, or comic books/graphic novels.

I like them OK, but the singer's voice annoys me.

"A Favor House Atlantic" is a great song, though.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
To those who got burned out of the Beatles, let me share my sickness with you.

I had a conference this week in Naples Florida, four hours from home.  I got in the car on Sunday and cued up the playlist "EMI 217" on my iPod.  That's a playlist of all 217 officially released Beatles songs in chronological British release order, with the non-album single and EP releases placed between album track listings where they should be, etc.  I pulled up to the hotel just as "I'm Only Sleeping (song #108 in the chronology) played out.  Three days later, I get in the car to drive home and start by cueing up George's "Love You To", the next song on the Parlaphone/EMI version of Revolver, and drove home listening to the rest of thee catalog.

I admit, I've been burned out from the studio recordings at times before as well, but then I do a HammerHead and listen to bootlegs and alternate versions for a while.  If you got burned out listening to the later (Pepper and beyond) stuff, go and put the early early stuff on and it will blow you away how good they were from the get-go.  I grew up an avowed late-era BeatleHead and thought all the Beatlemania screaming girl stuff was pretty corny.  But now I honestly think I might like the early stuff best of all.  My favorite Beatle song of the last year or so is the almost unknown "Ask Me Why" (note, not the same as "Tell Me Why"), from their very first British LP.  Brilliant.

Oh PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE tell me that you have a copy of that you can forward to me???

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
i hope your talking about you restraining yourself cause i didn't say anything mean

Yes, yes, I'm not a fan of V.U. at all, and am respecting your being a fan. We've knocked heads over bands too much, and I think your musical opinions are too good to continue to battle. So, I respectfully choose to not say anything. :D You love 'em, you know your s*** in music, so rock on. :headbang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 07:41 AM)
Don't make me ban you  :nono

pshaw...what can YOU do???

Yeah Flaxx, as soon as that triple bock is here...I'm making me a few phone calls. You'll be buying yourself out of "playtime" with a bottle of The Beast.

Good thing is that one drink and your assualter will be hammered off his ass. :P

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)

Yeah Flaxx, as soon as that triple bock is here...I'm making me a few phone calls. You'll be buying yourself out of "playtime" with a bottle of The Beast.

Good thing is that one drink and your assualter will be hammered off his ass. :P

Kind of the anti-date rape beverage, huh? :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)

Ah you busted me. My dirty secret it out, I am nothing but a paper tiger admin :crying

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
Yes, yes, I'm not a fan of V.U. at all, and am respecting your being a fan. We've knocked heads over bands too much, and I think your musical opinions are too good to continue to battle. So, I respectfully choose to not say anything.  :D  You love 'em, you know your s*** in music, so rock on.  :headbang

eh, its funny, the times we've got in music arguments, they've turned out to be huge misunderstandings....the green day thread and the bob dylan thread come to mind...haha...

losmediablancos - (i am still trying to gauge what you like and dislike) are you a fan of the fiery furnaces?

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
eh, its funny, the times we've got in music arguments, they've turned out to be huge misunderstandings....the green day thread and the bob dylan thread come to mind...haha...

losmediablancos - (i am still trying to gauge what you like and dislike) are you a fan of the fiery furnaces?

Good luck, my taste is all over the place. I like to think of myself as an indie/undeground kinda guy, but when I hear something that really moves me, I don't give a s*** if it's on a TV commercial and has sold 50 million copies.

Not familiar with 'The FF", tell me about them and about 'black rebel motorcycle club' though, people will not shut up about them.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
Good luck, my taste is all over the place. I like to think of myself as an indie/undeground kinda guy, but when I hear something that really moves me, I don't give a s*** if it's on a TV commercial and has sold 50 million copies.

Not familiar with 'The FF", tell me about them and about 'black rebel motorcycle club' though, people will not shut up about them.

BRMC just play good rock and roll , dark night club rock and its a lot of fun. They put out an acoustic cd i really liked this year. their self titled is the best...really good pop hooks.

The fiery furnace's debut had them compared to the white stripes, but their next album blueberry boat was just this out of left field, epic album with 10 minute songs...i love it. They are from grant park i believe...brother and a sister, but they added others recently

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
BRMC just play good rock and roll , dark night club rock and its a lot of fun. They put out an acoustic cd i really liked this year. their self titled is the best...really good pop hooks.

The fiery furnace's debut had them compared to the white stripes, but their next album blueberry boat was just this out of left field, epic album with 10 minute songs...i love it. They are from grant park i believe...brother and a sister, but they added others recently

The comparison I always read for BRMC is the Jesus & Mary Chain.

I've never heard BRMC, so I ask you:

Accurate? Or Not?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
The comparison I always read for BRMC is the Jesus & Mary Chain.

I've never heard BRMC, so I ask you:

Accurate? Or Not?

i've never listened to jesus and mary chain...should i?

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
i've never listened to jesus and mary chain...should i?

I'd say yes.

Very good 80s alternarock. Nice fuzzy guitars, but I'm kinda drawing a blank on a comparison. Maybe in the same ballpark as stuff like the Pixies or the Smiths. Perhaps another "older" Soxtalker can help with a comparison?

My favorite J&MC song is "Head On".

I'm getting antsy for the Bob Mould show.

I just want the 29th to get here already!!!

I also picked up tickets for the Double Door Halloween show, which is ALWAYS a ton of fun.

This year Local H is performing as Hall & Oates - that's gonna be hilarious, and yet I get the feeling that the Local H treatment is gonna make some of those songs listenable.

Also appearing:

Ness as the Smiths

The Last Vegas as the Cult

Woolworthy as Jane's Addiction

The 8th Grade as Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band ( I could do without this one, actually )

Blackbox as Smashing Pumpkins

Good times. I'm thinking about being Ozzie for Halloween.

"Ay tell you, brother, thees keed ees a goo' bartainder......"

I'm trying to find a name for a song, it's used mainly in sports broadcasts especially the Formula One Races (although I know pretty much no-one watches that), and it's just basically a guitar playing by itself with no vocals at all.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
I'd say yes.

Very good 80s alternarock. Nice fuzzy guitars, but I'm kinda drawing a blank on a comparison. Maybe in the same ballpark as stuff like the Pixies or the Smiths. Perhaps another "older" Soxtalker can help with a comparison?

My favorite J&MC song is "Head On".

Jesus is a REAL tough band to compare to anybody. The only one of theirs I had was the first one, as after that they real did away with much of what made them so well known in the beginning, and that was their amazing use of feedback. I have never heard a band that knew how to control it as well as they did.

To explain them? I would a take the 60's psychedelic bands, mix them with the 60's garage bands, add some 80's London Goth scene (before it was called "Goth" though) and add a dash of REM and 80's Pop, then throw on the feedback. Picture that sound, and you are getting close. Droning vocals though, and that is kind of the Psychedelic influence. They came about during the 80's garage band love that gave us Husker Du, The Lime Spiders, and The Scientists, so that is where the garage came from. The Goth...well...they wore alot of black. :D