Latest scoop on Mets-Bucs-Sox deal

YASNY

ok, maybe i phrased it wrong but he is turning into somethin good.

He is batting over .300

He has decent speed

He can hit for power

He has a great glove

I dont know what more you can ask for...

He is a 4th outfielder and nothing more. He has trouble with right handers, the predominant type of pitchers in baseball.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Some quick thoughts:

-Floyd is a terrible defensive outfielder. He cant play RF, which could likely lead to him DH, and carl in RF. Equally as bad in the OF.

-No way is Maggs coming back. Before the injury, there was no chance in hell. Now, I find it very unlikely the average payroll Sox would pay over 10 million a year to a health risk. Not a smart investment.

-Does adding Cliff Floyd make the Sox 5 games better than the Twins? We still have holes at catcher, reliever, starting pitcher, and 2b.

-Why couldnt Sweeney be groomed as the Sox 1b of the future?

He is a 4th outfielder and nothing more. He has trouble with right handers, the predominant type of pitchers in baseball.

.277 vs's righties now. He's really came on over the year against RHP, althoug his OBP vs righties is still low. He's done a very good job going to opposite field against them, imo.

Careful, that 4th outfielder has been the brightest spot (along with Shingo) on the Sox all year. We could only wish that the rest of our young guys have improved like Rowand has.

.277 vs's righties now.  He's really came on over the year against RHP, althoug his OBP vs righties is still low.  He's done a very good job going to opposite field against them, imo.

His OPS is in the low .700s against right handers. That's pathetic.

I should add, Floyd is a good offensive player. He has good power, a decent eye, and when healthy can mash. I don't know if Shea is considered a hitters park or not, but he would be a welcome addition to the offense.

Just not for Ryan Sweeney, give em Arnie Munoz, although even him, I would be tough parting with because he is so young as well.

If I were KW I would stand pat for right now. If you can get a pesky leadoff type hitter or a #2 hitter on the cheap, fine.

But I don't see guys like that available.

Maybe there will be a few more teams out of it in early August and we can add somebody then.

Cliff Floyd doesn't do a lot for me. He is injury prone, strikes out a lot, and is average defensively. Not to mention, that achilles problem that's been dogging him all year.

Ok, everyone calm down.  It's been said now that the Pirates had no interest in the minor leaguer the sox were offering.  If it was sweeney you can bet that they would have been interested.

I hope you're right....I really hope you're right on this....

Floyd for Sweeney is quite sickening.... :puke

If this trade were to go down, then just think of the prospects that we gave up this year to have a team that is currently 4 games down:

-Olivo

-Reed

-Sweeney

-Rauch

-Morse

For those guys, you would have thought we could have gotten a little better value than what we did. I also might be the only one who isnt thrilled that we have Everett coming back next year for like 4 million. He's not an outfielder cause of his defense, and you would have to think that Frank is coming back.

If this trade were to go down, then just think of the prospects that we gave up this year to have a team that is currently 4 games down:

-Olivo

-Reed

-Sweeney

-Rauch

-Morse

For those guys, you would have thought we could have gotten a little better value than what we did.  I also might be the only one who isnt thrilled that we have Everett coming back next year for like 4 million.  He's not an outfielder cause of his defense, and you would have to think that Frank is coming back.

To be honest, the way Garcia is pitching, I'd of dealt all of em for Garcia alone, let alone also getting Carl Everett and Cliff Floyd.

However, in terms of Ryan Sweeney, I think the Southtowns reports were off. I will say this, if its Joe Borchard, I'd deal him for Cliff Floyd in a heartbeat. Stick Floyd in the 2 hole maybe even. The guy is a good hitter and gets on base as well as has some pop when healthy. The Sox could rotate between him and Everett, although defensively, I'm a little miffed.

Also, if the Pirates don't like that prospect (anyone got a link) that the Sox were offering, then it sure as hell wasn't Ryan Sweeney.

Another question is, why are the Mets going for Benson. Are they playing for this year, or do they want to add him and hope to sign him now? If they are playing for this year, I can't see how unloading one of their better bats in Floyd makes sense.

It is kinda funny to go back and read 100 posts of panic on something that never had a chance of happening. :lol:

I wouldn't say no chance in it happening. This rumor had to come from somewhere, and just cause a GM says its false, doesn't necessarily mean its true. Heck, it could be 100% false cause its not Sweeney in the proposed deal or maybe its just not Floyd, who knows.

What we do know is the Sox have been talking with the Mets and Bucs. Whose to say some deal isn't worked out where the Sox get Benson or where the Sox get someone like Al Leiter. Not saying its a very likely chance, but who knows.

So what people are saying here is that they would rather do nothing and hope a team with serious offensive problems turns it around. What many of you are basically saying is that you would prefer to throw-away the season in order to keep a 19-year-old prospect. Boy, Sweeney better turn out to be the next Tony Gwynn. I, for one, am sick of waiting for next year.... this is ridiculous. Trade the god-damn prospects and bring in guys that can play now! Most prospects are 80% hype, 20% substance anyway. This is still a very winable division, but not with the lineup as it is currently constituted.

-Olivo

-Reed

-Sweeney

-Rauch

-Morse

For those guys, you would have thought we could have gotten a little better value than what we did.  I also might be the only one who isnt thrilled that we have Everett coming back next year for like 4 million.  He's not an outfielder cause of his defense, and you would have to think that Frank is coming back.

To be honest, I'd rather have Frank walk at the end of the year, stick Everett at the DH and spend the 6 mill elsewhere, specifically on Carlos Beltran and another pitcher or two, one of which would be a starter. (letting Maggs walk)

Everett, Beltran, Lee, Konerko would be enough of a middle of the lineup to me. It would also give you two lefties with power and two righties with power and all 4 are capable of hitting for respectable averages, imo. Personally I like that more then Thomas, Mags, Lee, Konerko because in this case, you have two guys that hit lefty against RHP, and 2 guys that hit righty against RHP, so it better breaks things up, imo.

Plus Beltran in CF is freaking amazing.

So what people are saying here is that they would rather do nothing and hope a team with serious offensive problems turns it around.  What many of you are basically saying is that you would prefer to throw-away the season in order to keep a 19-year-old prospect.  Boy, Sweeney better turn out to be the next Tony Gwynn.  I, for one, am sick of waiting for next year.... this is ridiculous. Trade the god-damn prospects and bring in guys that can play now!  Most prospects are 80% hype, 20% substance anyway.  This is still a very winable division, but not with the lineup as it is currently constituted.

Let me be the first to say, I'm usually very willing to deal prospects, however, when a system becomes thin, then you have to stick to your guns and keep those few untouchables you have and use other bargaining chips, imo.

I'd deal Sweeney in the right trade, but Cliff Floyd is not a guy you have to give up Sweeney to get. And if thats what they wanted, I'd go elsewhere, pick up a Kenny Lofton type leadoff guy and use a chip or two to add some quality relievers.

To be honest, I'd rather have Frank walk at the end of the year, stick Everett at the DH and spend the 6 mill elsewhere, specifically on Carlos Beltran and another pitcher or two, one of which would be a starter. (letting Maggs walk)

Everett, Beltran, Lee, Konerko would be enough of a middle of the lineup to me.  It would also give you two lefties with power and two righties with power and all 4 are capable of hitting for respectable averages, imo.  Personally I like that more then Thomas, Mags, Lee, Konerko because in this case, you have two guys that hit lefty against RHP, and 2 guys that hit righty against RHP, so it better breaks things up, imo.

Pirates not interest in sox prospects

Three-way for Benson?

The Pirates, unable to cut a satisfactory deal for righthander Kris Benson, talked about involving a third team to enhance the package they would receive, according to major-league sources.

One possibility under consideration involved the White Sox and Mets, who have offered third baseman Ty Wigginton and Class AA lefthander Matt Peterson for Benson.

The White Sox would have added a prospect for the Pirates and received a player from either the Pirates or Mets.

The Pirates, however, were not interested in the White Sox's prospects.

Meanwhile, the Pirates have reached an impasse with the Twins in their talks about Benson, and the Mets' offer is less than enticing. The Angels retain interest in Benson, as do the Braves.

No team is willing to give up top prospects for a two-month rental of Benson, who has a reputation for being "soft" and has never pitched in a pennant race. The Braves might be a good fit sense because Benson is a Georgia native who could thrive upon returning home, the same way that right fielder J.D. Drew has for Atlanta.

Everett, Beltran, Lee, Konerko would be enough of a middle of the lineup to me.  It would also give you two lefties with power and two righties with power and all 4 are capable of hitting for respectable averages, imo.  Personally I like that more then Thomas, Mags, Lee, Konerko because in this case, you have two guys that hit lefty against RHP, and 2 guys that hit righty against RHP, so it better breaks things up, imo.

I think Everett and Frank will both be back next year. I think the middle of the lineup will be good enough, what I would like the sox to do is go after Pavano or Perez and then find a guy or two who can hit at the top of the lineup.