Koch as #5 Starter?

BigHurt4evah

Hey guys I just read on Billy Koch's bio on Yahoo! Sports that he was originally a starting pitcher in the minors. I'm NOT AT ALL saying we should have Billy Koch in our rotation, but if worst comes to worst? I dunno it'd be very tempting to have Damaso take of the closer spot, and have a lineup of Buehrle, Colon, Koch. Wow. Power, Control, Power. I dunno I just sniffed a line of flintstones vitamins ;) haha.

If worst comes to worst, they'll use Joe Borchard as the 5th starter.

Koch is NOT a starter....since his surgery, he has kept the speed, but lost the endurance....and after closing for 4 years or so....it won't be there overnight. And he doesn't have much more than a fastball....starters can't get by with a fastball alone.

well true, but then why was he recruited as a SP in Toronto??

I swore he was a college closer or something and was a closer for most of his time in the Blue Jays minor league system. For some reason I remember a game he pitched against us when he first came up and they said he was one of the rare guys groomed to be a closer straight out of college, but maybe they were wrong.

I swore he was a college closer or something and was a closer for most of his time in the Blue Jays minor league system. For some reason I remember a game he pitched against us when he first came up and they said he was one of the rare guys groomed to be a closer straight out of college, but maybe they were wrong.

I believe they were wrong.

I believe I have read that Koch was atleast starting Koch in the minor leagues in Toronto, but that he threw out his arm and needed Tommy John surgery. Since then, he has been used only as a reliever, or to be more specific, a closer.

I may be wrong as well though....maybe a minor league guru like Cerb or Hudler or someone like that might now.

I believe they were wrong.

I believe I have read that Koch was atleast starting Koch in the minor leagues in Toronto, but that he threw out his arm and needed Tommy John surgery. Since then, he has been used only as a reliever, or to be more specific, a closer.

I may be wrong as well though....maybe a minor league guru like Cerb or Hudler or someone like that might now.

there are many more option than using koch. that would mean our whole staff blew up. i don't even want to think about that.

why f*** up a great closer to make a mediocre starter while losing a great closer?

The temptation to f*** around with things too much should be avoided.

The temptation to f*** around with good things at all should be avoided.

why f*** up a great closer to make a mediocre starter while losing a great closer?

Normal people call that tinkering.

Now who on the White Sox would want to tinker? Hmm....

If Flintstones make you come up like that, you need to find something else to snort.

Koch was a starter in college, but that was a long time ago.

Doing anything with him other than keeping in the closers role is not even an option and would never even be discussed. Unless, of course.........

you snort Flintstones.

Someone should wallpaper this little tidbit in JM's office and on the top of all of his official White Sox letterhead :headbang

if we did move koch to the rotation it wouldnt be the first time the sox did something this stupid..in the mid 70's we took goose gosage and made him a starter..with predictable results

Gossage wanted to be a starter and he b****ed and moaned until he got his shot. He sucked and was more than happy to go back to the bullpen at that point.

if we did move koch to the rotation it wouldnt be the first time the sox did something this stupid..in the mid 70's we took goose gosage and made him a starter..with predictable results

Gossage wanted to be a starter and he b****ed and moaned until he got his shot. He sucked and was more than happy to go back to the bullpen at that point.

That is exactly how I remember it too.

• 11 months later...