Adkins Fastball

Wise Master Buehrle

Anyone else see the FSN gun have Adkins at 102 a few days ago?

For next years bullpen I don't see a whole lot changing. I would assume Baj would get Jackson's spot after ST.

I would like Mota around these parts, though. :) My dad's an LA fan and I watched him pitch....DAMN....it's amazing the motion he can get some times.

So Far Cotts, Diaz,Adkins, Baj, and Munoz(two nights ago) have all given me something to look forward to.

I would like to see fewer homeruns allowed by our pitchers including the relief corp. Southsider asked about Adkins as a closr. That is a possible scenario for sure, but I was thinking starter.

Adkins has Starter stuff. Once he puts it together. Watch the f*** out.

How so? If he becomes a starter, he'll need to pitch more innings - most likely, there will be a huge adjustment period - meaning, that first year, I doubt he's going to react very well. Less MPH on the fastball (though I don't believe the radar gun is everything).

He's fine where he's at right now. Let him pitch a little more important role next year - along with Cotts - and see how they handle it. Let Baj/Grilli/Diaz mop-up.

Anyone else see the FSN gun have Adkins at 102 a few days ago?

For next years bullpen I don't see a whole lot changing. I would assume Baj would get Jackson's spot after ST.

I would like Mota around these parts, though. :) My dad's an LA fan and I watched him pitch....DAMN....it's amazing the motion he can get some times.

Any1 know Mota's contract status, by all reports I've heard he'll be in Florida for 2005. He could be closing for them too depending on what happens with Benitez.

On Adkins, 2 years ago the trade looked like a bust. Ray Durham a leadoff starting second baseman, for a AAA starter with an ERA in the mid 5's. But now Adkins has proved us all wrong, and has been one of the pleasent suprises this offseason. Him and Cotts will definitely get increased workloads next season and that'll be good for the likes of Marte who has thrown too many innings over the past few years.

All the people wanting to give up on Garland must be passing a pipe filled with some damn wicked stuff in it.  I can't believe that people can't see what a damn good pitcher this guy is going to be.

I know you like Garland, but try to understand why some of us are so tired of this guy. It has more to do with what's between his ears than his "stuff". Both Garland and the Sox would probably benefit from him having a change of scene. Maybe he will turn out like Jason Schmitt who was a major disappointment in Pittsburgh but found himself in SF. I doubt it very much. Garland could use a little of the Bob Gibson mentality. He's soft, that's the way I see it. It's cost the Sox dearly. Because of Frank and Magglio going down it was really important for him to step up this year. He didn't. He regressed instead. Like I said before on another thread, I like Mark and I like Freddy and after that the Sox rotation gives me hives.

RE: Adkins

I admit I was wrong on him so far. His minor league stats suggested he would get pounded in the majors. Maybe he picked up some new technique or something, I dunno. However, I would not count on him maintaining this level, let alone improving still. For next year I would use him the same way, kind of a middle innings guy.

I respect Hawk - but how could Adkins be suited to be a closer, and suited to be a starter, but not be suited to pitch out of the bullpen?  Closer, followed by being a starter, have much more pressure than being a middle relief guy. 

Next year, I want to see Adkins in a 6th-7th inning role.  We're going to need he and Cotts, to get us to Marte-Politte-Mota ( :pray ), and then to Shingo.  Solidifying this bullpen to one of the best in the league will be a lot more important, IMHO, than finding a fifth starter (then again, that's a much different story if this team goes out and gets Pedro...).

I thought the same thing, when hearing that comment I was thinking that was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

And their is no shot in hell that he is suited for the starting rotation. He doesn't have more then two legit pitches, so he'll get hammered in the rotation. As far as closer, he hasn't shown me enough to say he can do it, not to say he can't.

As far as his velocity goes, last year I personally saw him hit 97 a few times, which is why I was kind of puzzled when he was throwing 91-92 this year. They said he changed his tempo and what not and was throwing softer or something (thats something I heard at the beginning of the year).