If the season ended today...

Randar68

15th in the 2005 entry draft. Starting in 2005, teams will no longer alternate picking Nl/AL/NL/AL/NL/etc. Instead, they will select in reverse order of winning percentage.

As of right now, the Sox would pick #15. Why does #15 make any difference as opposed to say, 16th? Well, if the Sox sign any Class A FA's in the offseason, they will not have to give up their first round draft pick if they are in the top 15 picks of the draft!

Just something to keep an eye on.

Speaking of the draft, does it look to be pitching or hitting heavy, or is it un-foreseeable (probably not a word) as of right now?

And, I found out my buddy at my HS, Mike Clemson (sp?) from Oak Forest is being scouted by the Twins, Dodgers, and Angels. It's awesome, I'm gonna go to all of our games this year to watch him play...

Speaking of the draft, does it look to be pitching or hitting heavy, or is it un-foreseeable (probably not a word) as of right now?

And, I found out my buddy at my HS, Mike Clemson (sp?) from Oak Forest is being scouted by the Twins, Dodgers, and Angels.  It's awesome, I'm gonna go to all of our games this year to watch him play...

If he gets drafted by the twins, will you cut his arms off??? :ph34r:

15th in the 2005 entry draft.  Starting in 2005, teams will no longer alternate picking Nl/AL/NL/AL/NL/etc.  Instead, they will select in reverse order of winning percentage.

As of right now, the Sox would pick #15.  Why does #15 make any difference as opposed to say, 16th?  Well, if the Sox sign any Class A FA's in the offseason, they will not have to give up their first round draft pick if they are in the top 15 picks of the draft!

Just something to keep an eye on.

So you are saying a few more losses before the end of the season couldn't hurt? lol

So you are saying a few more losses before the end of the season couldn't hurt?  lol

There's nothing to gain if we keep winning and we're out of it, sure guys on the team are auditioning for places on the team for next season, but as a fan, I think you're definitely more willing to accept a loss now.

There's nothing to gain if we keep winning and we're out of it, sure guys on the team are auditioning for places on the team for next season, but as a fan, I think you're definitely more willing to accept a loss now.

I keep saying this in every Chicago sport(especially the Bears) and I take a ton of crap for it. If the team isn't going anywhere, what's the point of winning? The Bears always seem to win two games late to just miss out on the studs in the draft. I have no problem with saying this about the Sox, although the MLB draft is a bit more of a crap shoot.

To be honest, the MLB draft isn't quite as dependent on the high draft pick, however, it is really nice to have a shot at one of the elite players for once. On the flipside, until they allow trades, you have to suck majorly at the big league level to get that opportunity and then typically you'll be picking that so called "elite" player for a while.

I'd like to pick last in the first round for once. I should say, that the compensation thing is nice though, since now we'd just give up a 2nd round pick, which isn't quite as valuable.

I doubt we'll get any compensation for Maggs, which really sucks. Had he stayed healthy, the Sox would of probably offered him arb and they would of gotten two picks for him cause he would of gotten a contract. Now they would be fools to offer him arb, because he'd probably end up accepting. I highly doubt any team is going to give him the type of money he wants.

Either the Sox offer him no arb or they reach a one year deal with him (as a way to say thanks and what not) prior to the deadline to offer arb, because one that deadline passes he isn't eligible to sign with the Sox till May 1st or 15th (I forget which day).

I don't see a chance in hell that they (The Sox) will risk offering maggs arb at this point because, even if the arbitrator ruled in favor of the max 20% cut, he'd still be drastically overpaid compared to what the market would pay him...meaning he'd accept. With Drew and Beltran on the market, its less likely that a team would push and take the risk of a big long term deal with Maggs at this point.