most overrated sox player ever is...

Hatchetman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of you are confusing most overrated to players who had high expectation and never panned out.

overrated means a player who was praised beyond his production. someone like Navarro or Ruffcorn are very stupid picks, because fans never praised them when they played.

with that said, Jose Valentin has been the most overrated player, or at least one of the most...

It says on baseballlibrary.com that he had the highest salery for his two years here. So I guess I would assume the numbers didn't equal the stats, but that happens a lot.

Look near the bottom of the page. He was not one of the top ten either year he was here. Baseball library is not as good as baseball reference.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1992_t.shtml

I think Sandy Alomar has been horribly overrated by many Sox fans and especially the Sox organization. In his four years with the team, he's never had more than 26 RBI. Considering that we also have never won the division with him behind the plate, and that we paid him a pretty decent salary his first few years, I nominate Sandy Alomar Jr. for most overrated Sox player.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Ozzie sucked, and was one of the dumbest ball players I have ever seen. How many times did we see that idiot try to advance from second to third on a groundball to the shortstop? Or, how many times did we see him try to get a guy at home when the opposing team had 1st and 3rd (with

Ozzie had some deficiencies here and there just like everybody else, but he was the heart and soul of the Sox for over a decade. My childhood memories consist of awesome Pudge and Ozzie Guillen highlights.

Batting average is overrated...

I'll take Valentin's .220 BA anyday vs. Timo Perez's .250

I would not. I think Jose has hurt us far worse this season. I wonder how many innings he has killed because he couldn't put the ball in the outfeild with 1 out and a man on 3rd, and how many times he has not been able to advance runners because he cannot put the ball in play. He can't help being in the middle of the lineup, but that is when we are supposed to string together hits and score runs; that is basicly the opposite of what he does. (Edit: Maybe not :banghead )

Fourth outfielders that bat .250 are not going to make or break a season, unless a top OF like Maggs goes out, then you're already in a hole. Just about the only thing Jose has on Timo is his walks, but they both still have sub .300 OBP's.

And batting average isn't overrated. Probably one of the most important stats, somewhere behind OPS, IMO. However, it only becomes less important when youve got guys like Jose who cannot advance the runner, sacrifice, or put the ball in play. I'd like to see how 'overrated' BA would be if you had an offense that batted upwards of .300-.310, and didn't strike out every 3rd at bat, you wouldn't need to worry about scoring runs. As we've seen wioth our Sox, power can be inconsistant, and BA more accurately mesaures a teams consistancy.

Edited by CubsSuck1

I would not. I think Jose has hurt us far worse this season. I wonder how many innings he has killed because he couldn't put the ball in the outfeild with 1 out and a man on 3rd, and how many times he has not been able to advance runners because he cannot put the ball in play. He can't help being in the middle of the lineup, but that is when we are supposed to string together hits and score runs; that is basicly the opposite of what he does.

Fourth outfielders that bat .250 are not going to make or break a season, unless a top OF like Maggs goes out, then you're already in a hole. Just about the only thing Jose has on Timo is his walks, but they both still have sub .300 OBP's.

And batting average isn't overrated. Probably one of the most important stats, somewhere behind OPS, IMO. However, it only becomes  less important when youve got guys like Jose who cannot advance the runner, sacrifice, or put the ball in play. I'd like to see how 'overrated' BA would be if you had an offense that batted upwards of .300-.310, and didn't strike out every 3rd at bat, you wouldn't need to worry about scoring runs. As we've seen wioth our Sox, power can be inconsistant, and BA more accurately mesaures a teams consistancy.

Check the splits on mlb.com, Jose's done pretty well w/ a runner on third and one out. He hasn't used sac flies often, but he's got the job done. He does strike out too much, w/ runners on or w/ the bases empty, but there's no news there.

But he hits for power so much better than Timo, how can you say walks are the "only thing" Jose does better?

I'm still not convinced that the Sox have been so inconsistent when it comes to scoring runs.

Check the splits on mlb.com, Jose's done pretty well w/ a runner on third and one out.  He hasn't used sac flies often, but he's got the job done.  He does strike out too much, w/ runners on or w/ the bases empty, but there's no news there.

But he hits for power so much better than Timo, how can you say walks are the "only thing" Jose does better?

I'm still not convinced that the Sox have been so inconsistent when it comes to scoring runs.

True about Jose's power, I was overlooking that. And i didnt do any reasearch on Jose's splits, just going by observation. I look like a dips*** now.... :chair Anyways, a .220 BA is not healty to any team, that one thing is for sure. Runs are created when players get hits.

I am sorry about Valentin, though, I think I am confusing some of his play with PK's. :banghead

Ozzie had some deficiencies here and there just like everybody else, but he was the heart and soul of the Sox for over a decade.  My childhood memories consist of awesome Pudge and Ozzie Guillen highlights.

Well, I guess it's a matter of ones perspective. Lots of people loved Ozzie and thought he was a great player. I used to lie in bed at night imagining that if I was the manager of the Sox I would let the designated hitter hit for Ozzie instead of the pitcher just to humiliate his stupid f***ing b**** ass for being such a selfish me first hitter. He was a very good shortstop though. That only made me hate him more.

I think some of you are confusing most overrated to players who had high expectation and never panned out.

overrated means a player who was praised beyond his production. someone like Navarro or Ruffcorn are very stupid picks, because fans never praised them when they played.

with that said, Jose Valentin has been the most overrated player, or at least one of the most...

That's interesting, because prior to this year I'd say Valentin was one of the most underrated players. But, this year he really sucked.