most overrated sox player ever is...

Hatchetman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe you'd bag on Jose V that way.

George Bell is the perfect answer!

Any clown who complains during the playoffs about playing time ...

geez, maybe our organization is jinxed.

The bastard complains about playing time during the fricking

playoffs.

No Sox fan should ever forgive him for that crap.

Oh I didn't see this thread, but by far and away its Jose Valentin. I put my remarks on him in the most underrated thread, but I'll copy and paste them into this post a little later.

I've always been amazed at the following he's gotten despite the fact that he is an awful, inconsistent player who is completely selfish (he may be a good baserunner, but he thinks about hitting the long ball more then anyone else on this team). Did I mention I could strike him out. All I'd have to do is throw 3 semi decent curves and he'd have absolutely no chacne.

I was shocked that it took till this year, before I saw pitchers only throw him a breaking ball...after I had been saying it since 2000. The guy absolutely can not pick up, nor can he hit a breaking ball. He has enough trouble with hanging breaking balls, but throw him a fastball and he's got a shot to make you pay, especially a middle in one.

No Koch yet?? Mabye we should do biggest busts? but I vote Koch.

I'd go with Navarro cause he was completely awful and given a long term contract as a free agent. The only positive about Navarro was that he brought Eldred and Jose in 2000, both of whom were cogs in the 2000 season, although Valentin was over-rated that year and that season alone has kept him in the good graces of so many Sox fans to the fact that I (who can't stand Jose) have had to watch him at short for the past few years.

Man will I be happy next year with someone else at short.

Oh I didn't see this thread, but by far and away its Jose Valentin.  I put my remarks on him in the most underrated thread, but I'll copy and paste them into this post a little later.

I've always been amazed at the following he's gotten despite the fact that he is an awful, inconsistent player who is completely selfish (he may be a good baserunner, but he thinks about hitting the long ball more then anyone else on this team).  Did I mention I could strike him out.  All I'd have to do is throw 3 semi decent curves and he'd have absolutely no chacne.

I was shocked that it took till this year, before I saw pitchers only throw him a breaking ball...after I had been saying it since 2000.  The guy absolutely can not pick up, nor can he hit a breaking ball.  He has enough trouble with hanging breaking balls, but throw him a fastball and he's got a shot to make you pay, especially a middle in one.

I looked back at some old threads about Jose, and they are mostly vitriol. How can you say he was overrated when he wasn't rated highly?

How about all the young arms in the White Sox farm system in the mid 90's?  Scott Ruffcorn rings a bell....

Ohhh My!!! There's a whole list...

Larry Thomas

Rodney Bolton

Brian Drahman

Scott Ruffcorn

Chris Clemons

Scott Eyre

James Baldwin

Johnny Ruffin

Domingo Jean

Andrew Lorraine

Mike Bertotti

:unsure:

What about Ozzie Guillen?  One of the most popular and highly regarded Sox of all time.  An absolute liability offensively.  Did he ever have an OBP above .300?

Took the words out of my mouth.

Ozzie sucked, and was one of the dumbest ball players I have ever seen. How many times did we see that idiot try to advance from second to third on a groundball to the shortstop? Or, how many times did we see him try to get a guy at home when the opposing team had 1st and 3rd (with < 2 outs) and the grounder was hit to him?

Sorry if he's been mentioned, but RAY F'N DURHAM.  I never liked this guy.  I know he may have some stats to back it up, but he was hitting in a lineup with Frank near his prime.  This guy always sucked to me, especially in the field.

I just never liked him

good answer (clap,clap,clap)....

Ohhh My!!! There's a whole list...

Larry Thomas

Rodney Bolton

Brian Drahman

Scott Ruffcorn

Chris Clemons

Scott Eyre

James Baldwin

Johnny Ruffin

Domingo Jean

Andrew Lorraine

Mike Bertotti

:unsure:

Scott Eyre actually turned into a pretty decent middle reliever with the Giants.