College Talk

MinnesotaSoxFan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are the advantages of going to community college first, and for how long?

Typically you go to a community college for two years. Instead of paying a flat tution rate like at a University, you pay by the credit hour. Here at U of I I paid close to $4700 for 13.5 hours of classes this semester. At my community college it was $52 a credit hour. That's a HUGE difference.

Typically you go to a community college for two years.  Instead of paying a flat tution rate like at a University, you pay by the credit hour.  Here at U of I I paid close to $4700 for 13.5 hours of classes  this semester.  At my community college it was $52 a credit hour.  That's a HUGE difference.

so you go to community for 2 years and then a university for 2 years?

are you from miami???

My best friend at KU was from that area and he would definitely be able to talk with you and answer any questions.

No shuf, I'm from Illinois. KU has become one of my top 2 choices now because my dad just told me Mizzou is out of our price range, so it looks like it'll be KU or NIU for me.

No shuf, I'm from Illinois.  KU has become one of my top 2 choices now because my dad just told me Mizzou is out of our price range, so it looks like it'll be KU or NIU for me.

i really liked NIU, i got accepted there...

if i didn't get accepted to U of I, i'd go to NIU.

i really liked NIU, i got accepted there...

if i didn't get accepted to U of I, i'd go to NIU.

I like NIU a lot also but I like Kansas a ton too. Got a tough decision to make, both schools are also popular among my current classmates, not that it's that big of a deal but it'll make the transition a little easier, I believe. Either way I'm tired of HS and ready for college.

I like NIU a lot also but I like Kansas a ton too.  Got a tough decision to make, both schools are also popular among my current classmates, not that it's that big of a deal but it'll make the transition a little easier, I believe.  Either way I'm tired of HS and ready for college.

i don't blame you

college is infinitely better than HS, in every way possible.

Kinda late on this thread.

Im really torn on what to do. I really havent done as well as I would have liked in HS, just havent been as motivated as I would liked. The thing that I hope will save me into getting in a decent school is my ACT. I got a 26, and I think that is solid enough to get me into a Northern or Illinois State. My only gripe is that there are sooooo many of my friends, and just people I know from Wheaton North that are going to those schools, and I kinda want to start fresh. Like obviously 10 kids from Wheaton wont bother me, but I dont want HS all over again, and I fear Northern will just be WNHS all over again.

I might just end up going to College of Dupage the 1st year or 2, save some $$$, get the Gen-Ed's out of the way, and it also gives me some time to make up my mind on what the hell I want to do.

I definately think (and from what my HS counslers tell me) you can get into other colleges besides those.

Im really torn on what to do. I really havent done as well as I would have liked in HS, just havent been as motivated as I would liked. The thing that I hope will save me into getting in a decent school is my ACT. I got a 26, and I think that is solid enough to get me into a Northern or Illinois State. My only gripe is that there are sooooo many of my friends, and just people I know from Wheaton North that are going to those schools, and I kinda want to start fresh. Like obviously 10 kids from Wheaton wont bother me, but I dont want HS all over again, and I fear Northern will just be WNHS all over again.

I might just end up going to College of Dupage the 1st year or 2, save some $$$, get the Gen-Ed's out of the way, and it also gives me some time to make up my mind on what the hell I want to do.

27 got me into isu. you could get in and northern is pretty easy to get into

with a 26 you'll easily get into ISU/NIU and a TON of other schools....

and in my residence hall i have 5 kids from my HS, 2 literally across the hall and I love it. Definitely made the transition 10x easier.

COD!

I might see you in class, but of course that would be quite rare in a big community college. I'm cheap so I am going to COD for two years...

My only gripe is that there are sooooo many of my friends, and just people I know from Wheaton North that are going to those schools, and I kinda want to start fresh. Like obviously 10 kids from Wheaton wont bother me, but I dont want HS all over again, and I fear Northern will just be WNHS all over again.

This was one of the reasons I picked Purdue over U of I. A TON of people from my H.S. were going to U of I, and there were only 10 going to Purdue. (2 of which I actually kept in contact with for most of the 4 years).

I'll be transferring to Texas Tech next semester. I might even get a chance to choke Bobby Knight. :headbang

I started at a community college also, partly because it was free for me and partly because its known to be tougher than any college in Texas outside of UT and Rice. My sisters got two C's here and then went on to Clemson and was valedictorian with 1 B her 3 years there. I thought that was hilarious. Starting out at a community college has lots of benefits if you aren't looking for the college experience right away of being completely responsible for yourself and partying. I never have been really into that. Plus people would be paying something like 1,200 a semester here for 5 classes instead of 6,000 a semester for the same at Tech. Plus I'm already set to go into the computer world with my associates in www software development, but I wanted a bachelors in computer science to back it up.

I'll be transferring to Texas Tech next semester. I might even get a chance to choke Bobby Knight.  :headbang

I started at a community college also, partly because it was free for me and partly because its known to be tougher than any college in Texas outside of UT and Rice. My sisters got two C's here and then went on to Clemson and was valedictorian with 1 B her 3 years there. I thought that was hilarious. Starting out at a community college has lots of benefits if you aren't looking for the college experience right away of being completely responsible for yourself and partying. I never have been really into that. Plus people would be paying something like 1,200 a semester here for 5 classes instead of 6,000 a semester for the same at Tech. Plus I'm already set to go into the computer world with my associates in www software development, but I wanted a bachelors in computer science to back it up.

Bobby would kill you. Best college basketball coach in history.

Ohio Univeristy in Athens, class of 91... One of oldest (1804) and most beauitiful schools in the nation. Hot girls all over the place, too.

Hate to argue but... OU is THE top party school in the nation, hands down...

It's also got a Top 20 journalism and broadcasting school, which is the reason I went there.

But after spending a decade in broadcasting, mostly producting talk shows, and yes, sports broadcasting in Chicago, I'd advse anyone against going into this field.

First, it's not what you know, its who you know. The only reason I was able to walk into my job at the Score in 1991 with no interview is because I knew Ron Gleason and Tom Shaer from my days interning, as a high schooler no less, at WBBM-AM and the Channel 5 sports dept.

Also, the hours are terrible, the pay is awful (umless you're Mike North- who never went to college), and all the "talent" and any players you'll deal with are prima donna pussies.

You want some advice? Go into finance. Great money, regular hours. Better yet, get fluent in another language, like Spanish/Italian, Arabic or Chinese, and go into international business. You'll have to put in your dues and work the 9 to 5, but the money is crazy...

Heed my warnings - I know from experience - sports broadcasting and journalism are dead ends. Just like crack.

Also, going to a community college like COD for 2-3 years is not such a bad deal. I had a lot of friends from high school who didn't have the grades to get in anywhere else, but they went to COD for a few years, pulled straight As, and wound up at U of I. It's not where you start, its where you finish, and their diplomas say U of I... even though they did all their grunt work at COD...

This was one of the reasons I picked Purdue over U of I.  A TON of people from my H.S. were going to U of I, and there were only 10 going to Purdue.  (2 of which I actually kept in contact with for most of the 4 years).

And one reason that I was the only person from Michigan City Elston to go to Manchester was the exact samething. I hated my HS, I was so glad to start all over in college.

That's also a great point... No one from my HS went to OU...

I didn't need to start over, so to speak, but it was a refreshing change to be inspired by new people coming from different backgrounds.

I grew my hair, started working out, studied and partied a lot, and got some nice tail...