Best Rotation in Baseball???

babybearhater

If this pipe dream actually happens, and the sox pick up Randy Johnson, does that make the sox have the best rotation in baseball???American League??

If not, who does???

I

I am still saying the a's even after mulder and zito had off years. Also redman and are not chumps either.

If this pipe dream actually happens, and the sox pick up Randy Johnson, does that make the sox have the best rotation in baseball???American League??

If not, who does???

I

The Sox's rotation COULD be the best in the AL if we pick up RJ, depending on who we give up, but most likely stats wise they won't be considering they'll pitch half their games at the Cell, the Coors Field of the AL.

No and i'll go a step further.

I think it would be foolish to get Randy Johnson. Especially at the price it would take.

I'm not willing to morgage our offensive for a 40+ year old pitcher.

Getting RJ would be less risky [and make the Sox a better team] than getting a mid range SP like Radke, Perez or Clement. If the Sox got RJ and his $16 mill salary and he got hurt in ST, it's off the books in 2006. Yet if they got a FA like a guy above, and he got hurt in ST, his at minimum, $21, $24, or $27 mill salary it's off the books in 2008.

The Sox could be mortgaging themselves for years to come if they signed a FA SP to a 3, 4 yr contract, as they have 3 SP's already under guaranteed contracts for 3 yr's. Getting a one yr true ace like Randy Johnson would be a stroke of genius.

Getting RJ would be less risky [and make the Sox a  better team] than getting a mid range SP like Radke, Perez or Clement. If the Sox got RJ and his $16 mill salary and he got hurt in ST, it's off the books in 2006. Yet if they got a FA like a guy above, and he got hurt in ST, his at minimum, $21, $24, or $27 mill salary it's off the books in 2008.

The Sox could be mortgaging themselves for years to come if they signed a FA SP to a 3, 4 yr contract, as they have 3 SP's already under guaranteed contracts for 3 yr's. Getting a one yr true ace like Randy Johnson would be a stroke of genius.

I can't disagree more with what you just said.

First off it wouldn't cost us 16 Million a year for any other pitcher. Not only that we wouldn't have to give up most of our offensive (if we think they will take any less then AROW, Jon Garland, + prospects we are kidding ourselves). That was way to steep a price for one pitcher who is more likely to get himself injured then the pitchers above.

i dont know why everyone is so against trading aaron rowand... has no one ever heard of sell high buy low....rowands value is more right now then its probably ever going to be.. he is young cheap and coming off a good season... but he isnt established enough to be 100% he will do it again.,... rowand has a chance to be a good player yeah but not great and with RJ on our team are pitching rotation is seriously awesome 1-5 with the real only ? being contreras

Also RJ's contract isnt straight up 16 million a lot of its deffered and i think its more then just the two years

i dont know why everyone is so against trading aaron rowand... has no one ever heard of sell high buy low....rowands value is more right now then its probably ever going to be.. he is young cheap and coming off a good season... but he isnt established enough to be 100% he will do it again.,... rowand has a chance to be a good player yeah but not great and with RJ on our team are pitching rotation is seriously awesome 1-5 with the real only ? being contreras

Also RJ's contract isnt straight up 16 million a lot of its deffered and i think its more then just the two years

Rowand doesn't just have a chance to be a good player. He already is a good player. I've liked Rowand since he came up and always believed he'd be a very solid guy to have on a ballteam. And if you want to talk about grinders, Rowands picture should be next to the word in the dictionary. Superstar? No. But a very solid, hustling, team oriented ballplayer.... he's already there.

Rowand doesn't just have a chance to be a good player.  He already is a good player.  I've liked Rowand since he came up and always believed he'd be a very solid guy to have on a ballteam.  And if you want to talk about grinders, Rowands picture should be next to the word in  the dictionary.  Superstar?  No.  But a very solid, hustling, team oriented ballplayer.... he's already there.

What my man Yansy said.

i dont know why everyone is so against trading aaron rowand... has no one ever heard of sell high buy low....rowands value is more right now then its probably ever going to be.. he is young cheap and coming off a good season... but he isnt established enough to be 100% he will do it again.,... rowand has a chance to be a good player yeah but not great

Aaron's first 1059 AB's --- .290/.342/.475 41 HR's

Carlos Lee's first 1064 AB's --- .297/.339/.478 40HR's

Who would have wanted to get rid of carlos after 1000 AB's? It's just stupid.

Edited by The Cheat

Aaron's first 1059 AB's  --- .290/.342/.475  41 HR's

Carlos Lee's first  1064 AB's --- .297/.339/.478 40HR's

I'm not sure when Carlos hit that 1000 AB mark, but 2 years ago there was a multitude right here on Soxtalk that wanted to dump Carlos "the lawn ornament" Lee.

The 2000 season is when he reached 1000 at-bats.

Well Aaron is playing better right now than Carlos did through 2002. Lee came into his own in 2003, as an all around ballplayer, and followed up in '04 with another damn good year. I'd really like to keep Rowand around and see just how good he can get.

There were people who wanted to get rid of Rowand after 100 ABs. There were people who wanted to get rid of PK in 2003, there were people who wanted to get rid of Lee in 2002... need I go on?

Lets just say lucky for us, KW is the GM and not some people on here.... There would be more damage than Hawk did. :ph34r:

Best rotation in baseball? It pains me to say it but with a top 4 of Prior, Zambrano, Wood and Maddux, the Cubs have one of the best starting rotations in baseball. In fact, I might put them as the #1 rotation. Even with the injuries to their pitching last year they were still able to insert pitchers (like Glendon Rusch) who did a helluva job. The Cubs pitchers, 1-5, gave them a very good chance to win every single day. Of course that could never happen but how awesome a feeling would it be if every day we threw a pitcher out there that we knew gave us an above average chance to win?

Getting RJ would be a nice start for the Sox........

Best rotation in baseball?  It pains me to say it but with a top 4 of Prior, Zambrano, Wood and Maddux, the Cubs have one of the best starting rotations in baseball.  In fact, I might put them as the #1 rotation.  Even with the injuries to their pitching last year they were still able to insert pitchers (like Glendon Rusch) who did a helluva job.  The Cubs pitchers, 1-5, gave them a very good chance to win every single day.  Of course that could never happen but how awesome a feeling would it be if every day we threw a pitcher out there that we knew gave us an above average chance to win?

Getting RJ would be a nice start for the Sox........

Dont make me start this argument again. First of all, Wood has never won 14 games, in his career, so he cant be thought of as a dominant pitcher. Prior, even when he came back from injury, was not the superstart that SI and every ignorant cubs fan said he was going to be. And maddux is still in the process of checking himself into an assisted living facility. Zambrano is dominant, but will probably go elsewhere when he goes into arbitration. Cubstalk.com is on another link, so have fun with that. Without clement in their rotation to carry them like he did at the beginning of the year, I would put them top five

I agree. Also, Rowand never received consistent playing time in those 1000 AB's. He had to make the best out of them and he tried to help the team. Not only is he a grinder, but he is a team player, and that is a guy I want on my team. ;)

Rowand Is not the kinda of player you trade. He does everything and more that Ozzie could ever ask of him He is a true Grinder. As much as I would like to see Randy in our pinstripes I wouldnt think It would be in our best interest to trade Rowand being that he lead our team in avg. sb and given a full year of Ab's would hit 25+ hr's 90+ rbi's and steal 30 bases. The other problem with that trade that you suggest is we would be giving up Garland Who although he hasnt been great he would be a solid number 5 guy in our rotation I could careless about giving up minor leaguers cause they havent done anything at the big league level but thats just me. But the players your trying to offer for a aging stud pitcher is way to much. I would rather just get Kevin Brown for next to nothing and hope he stays healthy while I sit back and let the Yankthese pay his salary... It worth the gamble.

You don't trade Rowand strictly for the message it would send if you did.

Rowand does not have the God-given talent most ball players do. However, he's worked his ass off and has busted his balls from day 1. He's a fan favorite, he's cheap, he hits the hell out of the ball, he plays good defense, he's fast...basically, a blue collar ball player.

So you go out and trade your hardest working player for a rent-a-player? What the f*** is that s***?

That's why you don't trade Rowand.

Dont make me start this argument again.  First of all, Wood has never won 14 games, in his career, so he cant be thought of as a dominant pitcher.  Prior, even when he came back from injury, was not the superstart that SI and every ignorant cubs fan said he was going to be.  And maddux is still in the process of checking himself into an assisted living facility.  Zambrano is dominant, but will probably go elsewhere when he goes into arbitration.  Cubstalk.com is on another link, so have fun with that.  Without clement in their rotation to carry them like he did at the beginning of the year, I would put them top five

Calling someone a Cubs fan just for being honest is uncalled for. And why is it you know all these Cubs links? :huh

They really did have one hell of a rotation this year. Wood will never throw a full year, and he's inconsistent even when healthy, but on a good day he's almost unhittable. Not an ace, but a great player to have. But they have 2 ace-quality pitchers in Zambrano and Prior, both very cheap. Granted, Prior wasn't very good after returning from the injury, but I just can't discount what I saw 2 seasons ago.

Maddux is overpaid, but he still gives you a lot of innings w/ pinpoint control. And I don't know what to say about Clement -- he's not often dominant, but he's been remarkably consistent over the last few years.

What staff doesn't have the risk of injury? Florida's certainly struggled the last couple years (Burnett, Beckett, Penny), and the Diamondbacks last season. A team has to be talented and lucky.

Anyway, a healthy RJ would put the Sox into the top class, I think, a notch below the Cubs and Oakland, about even with Florida and Boston (depending on fa pickups). Houston could be even or just better, depending on Clemens and Backe.