*Official* College Basketball Thread

Pretty good game. Wilmont and Ewing were the POG's. Ewing's really becoming this IU's AJ Moye. He puts it all out there; got to love the guy. Glad to see the seniors got in too. While not the greatest senior class, they definitely are some true Indiana players.

Now we have the sacred 10 BT wins. Probably have take one in the BTT to solidify our bid.

We got our money's worth at home this year. 10 straight wins since the Charlotte "loss." We swept our sched in the Big Ten, going 8-0.

Edited by greasywheels121

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
Northern Iowa lost to SW Missouri St. 70-62 in the first round of the MVC Tournament.  That hurts their at-large chances big time. 

Good wins: Iowa State, Southern Illinois, Wichita State

Bad losses: Evansville, Bradley, Drake, SMS (conference tourney - bad timing)

"Good losses": 6 pts at Cincinnati, 3 points at Iowa

Final record: 21-10

NIT Bound if you ask me........

Better be....Did you hear about their AD, Rex?

Alright Palehosefan, lets go ahead and post our predictions for the Duke/UNC game on Sunday.

Duke-86

UNC-85 in OT.

Losing McCants hurts you (even though, he's your best offensive player, he only scored like 2 points in the first game anyway, so I don't what the difference will be.

We'll be without Dockery who can run the point, and is arguably our best on-the ball defender.

Should be an unbelievable game

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
Better be....Did you hear about their AD, Rex?

Yeah, I posted that on another board..... I don't understand why any Division I AD would be allowed to referee D-I games, regardless of who is playing. The fact that the AD of a team on the bubble is refereeing a game of another bubble team just makes NO sense at all.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
Well Rashad it looks like is out for the Duke game also. Just makes it that much more interesting.

Rex, Northern Iowa's rpi is good and their sos is in the top 55, it should be really close as to whether they make it or not, I think they will. 21 wins with a top 35 rpi should be pretty safe in my opinion.

palehose, I guess I just don't get the new RPI formula. I look at Northern Iowa's whole schedule and don't see any way they get in, especially since Wichita St. and Creighton are winning in their conference tournament. 21 wins shouldn't mean squat if you don't beat anybody. I don't see how their SoS is that high either.

Its a good thing that RPI is just one factor the tournament committee will look at. I also wonder if they will consider both the new and old RPI formula for teams this year. The NCAA doesn't create the RPI, so they didn't dictate the changes in the formula. I just wonder if they will give it the same weight as they have in the past.

I just went back and looked and N. Iowa was actually 43 in RPI in the most recent ratings. With a first round tournament loss it can only go down. Looking at their whole season, I just don't see it.

Edited by Rex Hudler

More reasons why I don't get the RPI this year..... It just doesn't seem as reliable as in years past.

Can someone explain to me how this schedule and results gets an RPI of 35??

Date

Opponent

Time/Result

Record

Television

11/20 Eastern Wash. W 80-62 1-0

11/27 at Austin Peay W 72-62 2-0

12/1 San Francisco W 65-55 3-0

12/8 at Drake W 75-53 4-0 (1-0)

12/11 at Providence W 90-86 5-0

12/18 at Tulsa W 71-66 6-0

12/21 Tex San Antonio W 84-79 7-0

12/28 UMKC W 81-68 8-0

12/31 Evansville W 91-81 9-0 (2-0)

01/3 Manhattan L 64-59 9-1

01/8 at SMS W 63-61 10-1 (3-0)

01/12 Bradley W 88-73 11-1 (4-0)

01/15 at Indiana State L 64-60 11-2 (4-1)

01/17 at Evansville W 81-65 12-2 (5-1)

01/22 Southern Illinois W 58-56 13-2 (6-1)

01/24 at Northern Iowa W 65-57 14-2 (7-1)

01/26 Drake W 76-65 15-2 (8-1)

01/29 Illinois State W 78-72 16-2 (9-1) MVC TV Network

02/1 at Creighton L 73-69 16-3 (9-2)

02/5 Indiana State W 67-57 17-3 (10-2)

02/10 at Illinois State W 76-62 18-3 (11-2)

02/12 at Bradley L 74-68 18-4 (11-3)

02/16 Creighton L 82-68 18-5 (11-4)

02/19 at Miami (OHIO) L 65-58 18-6

02/23 SMS W 72-61 19-6 (12-4)

02/26 at Southern Illinois L 65-55 19-7 (12-5) FSN

02/28 Northern Iowa L 67-66 19-8 (12-6)

03/5 Drake W 72-52 20-8 (12-6)

ANYONE ABLE TO HELP ME GET THIS INTO HTML FORMAT?????

Edited by Rex Hudler

Salukis face SMS tomorrow after the Bears upset Northern Iowa in the quarterfinals of the MVC tourney. Other bracket will be Creighton vs. WItchita State, finals set for Monday night.

Wow, what an ending to the Oklahoma State-Texas game. Ok State was down by three and Terrance Crawford threw up a half court shot and got fouled. He had to make all 3 free throws to keep the longest home winning streak alive and he missed on the second one. On his third try, with .3 seconds left, he tried to miss it but it went in.

Edit: I'm a little late on that one

Edited by whitesoxin'

Bubble teams that hurt themselves today with losses in their final regular season game or their conference tournament:

Northern Iowa

Georgetown

Notre Dame

West Virginia

Maryland

DePaul

Marquette

Houston

TCU

Memphis

Vanderbilt

Miami (OH)

Akron

Bubble teams that helped their cause today with wins:

Indiana

UCLA

Stanford

Creighton

Wichita State

Vermont

UTEP

New Mexico

George Washington

Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Holy Cross

Old Dominion

Buffalo

In the opening round of the Mid-Continent Tourney, the 7 seed Oakland upset the 2 seed UMKC so this means Valpo will now play Oakland in the semifinals, assuming they beat 6 seed Chicago State tomorrow. VU has never lost to Oakland in their history. :)

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 5, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
More reasons why I don't get the RPI this year..... It just doesn't seem as reliable as in years past.

Can someone explain to me how this schedule and results gets an RPI of 35??

i can explain why... road wins are more valuable this year which even at a crappy team can make all the difference...although let it be known the RPI of team is merely used to categorize teams based on who other teams have beaten not really as a tool to see if a tem should get in as far as i know

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 06:54 AM)
i can explain why... road wins are more valuable this year which even at a crappy team can make all the difference...although let it be known the RPI of team is merely used to categorize teams based on who other teams have beaten not really as a tool to see if a tem should get in as far as i know

For the past 10 years or so, RPI has definitely been one of the tools the Selection Committee uses. In fact, they seem to weigh it relatively heavily.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 02:37 AM)
For the past 10 years or so, RPI has definitely been one of the tools the Selection Committee uses.  In fact, they seem to weigh it relatively heavily.

The committe is well aware that the RPI in it's current form is only good for wiping your ass with the the paper it was printed on.

I've been watching the "Bubble Watch" on ESPN.com like a hawk, for obvious reasons. Ironically, guess who pops back on to the bubble today?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?p...2005bubblewatch

Work left to do: Minnesota, Indiana

Four bids look almost certain with Gophers' 10 league wins. Does IU's 10 make it five? Hoosiers have one of the most interesting profiles in the country. How about surging Iowa? Back in the mix.

(Note: Ohio State is ineligible for this year's NCAA Tournament.)

Minnesota [20-9 (10-6), RPI: 50, SOS: 78] In typical fashion, Gophers hold off Penn State for possible bid-clinching W. 10-6 in league is probably enough for a bid, barring some disaster scenario during Championship Week (read: bad first-round loss and lots of small school upsets).

Iowa [19-10 (7-9), RPI: 57, SOS: 53] Look who's back in the mix after three straight W's to close the regular season? Yes, Hawkeyes finished under .500 in a weaker Big Ten, but they have a host of big non-conference wins (Louisville-N, Texas-N, Texas Tech-N, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Air Force) to fall back on. May have played Illinois tougher than anyone (twice).

Indiana [15-12 (10-6), RPI: 67, SOS: 16] Ripped N'western to finish with 10 league wins after just missing at Wisconsin. Will buzzer-beater L's vs. Charlotte and Badgers send IU to NIT? Definitely looks NCAA-worthy on recent form, and history shows 10 Big Ten wins virtually a 100 percent lock for a bid. Very interesting Big Ten tourney opener against Minnesota on tap. Win that and how can you keep IU out?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
plus I can pick up the Missouri Valley semifinals starting at 2:30 on on of the Fox Sports channels.

Games were on Comcast SPortsNet in the Chicagoland area yesterday. Go Dawgs!