*Official* College Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IU got jobbed on a bunch of calls near the end. Anyone breathing near Wilkinson was called for a foul, yet he mugged whoever it was under the bucket w/ about 35 left...No call.

Note to Patrick Ewing Jr.,

Box out.

Signed,

The state of Indiana

He looked like friken Eddy Curry on that last play.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
God hates me

Man, I got to give you credit. You hung in there through thick and thin with this team, especially in the face of all this Illini love on this site. I'm a half-assed UK fan, and therefore no fan of the Hoosiers at all. But I had to give you your props.

*salute*

PS: We need a saluting smilie.

Chicago White Sox message board = More Illini love than any other team. Also, it's not like we've been bashing IU left and right, either, or at least i haven't. I've been objective and i rooted for them in every non conference game, etc.

I only got to see the first 10 minutes of the game, but from what i'm reading in various places, IU got the typical Kohl Center ref job against Wisky. What else is new

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 03:00 AM)
Chicago White Sox message board = More Illini love than any other team. Also, it's not like we've been bashing IU left and right, either, or at least i haven't. I've been objective and i rooted for them in every non conference game, etc.

I only got to see the first 10 minutes of the game, but from what i'm reading in various places, IU got the typical Kohl Center ref job against Wisky. What else is new

I wasn't complaining about the Illini love. Just stating that it exists. And you are correct, it is absolutely understandable and expected. My post was not meant to be anything but a compliment to Greasy for being a good IU fan. Nothing meant or implied against U of I and it's fans.

Thanks Yas. I read the articles all over again this morning; (I shouldn't have done that). Bah....I was the highest I ever could be on this team's season after Sunday's win over State. I'm as far as I can be from that state after last night. It's going to leave a nasty taste in my mouth when games like these are going to be the difference from us being in or out of the dance.

56-53 Mizz

74-73 Charlotte

75-73 escaping Purdue

and now last night...

Like Terry Hutchens said in his recap today: "Unfortunately for the Indiana University basketball team, the new Ratings Percentage Index formula doesn't take into account close losses suffered on one of the toughest opposing courts in the nation."

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
That's the funny thing..

With the old RPI, the Sagarin, Indiana's a #50, and we're a 48 in that KenPom thing.

However, with this new RPI, we're 21 spots worse at #71.  Blah.

Like I said Greasy, I wouldn't even worry about the new system. The committee shouldn't even take those numbers into consideration.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
How can you not worry about the new system? There's a difference between should and will.

True, good point. I mean most of us agree the system is crap but you're right they could still take it into consideration. Anyways, I asked greasy this last night but what do you guys think IU needs to do to get in?

I don't know anymore. Last night sucked a lot of optimism out of me. The more I think about it, we're probably going to be the second Big Ten team since '98 to not make it in the dance with 10 conference wins.

27 of 28 Big Ten teams have made it in the tournament with 10 conference wins, since the change to the 16 game conference schedule. Michigan was the first, but that was because they ruled themselves ineligible.

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)

I didn't see the game last night (I freakin fell asleep) and I generally do not criticize officiating. But it must have been really bad because Sonny Smith and Wimp Sanderson were commenting this morning on the radio about how badly it was officiated. They even mentioned the lead official by name and said he and his crew were terrible.

For those that do not know, Sonny Smith is a former Auburn head coach and Wimp Sanderson is a former Alabama head coach. They have a radio show here locally.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
I didn't see the game last night (I freakin fell asleep) and I generally do not criticize officiating.  But it must have been really bad because Sonny Smith and Wimp Sanderson were commenting this morning on the radio about how badly it was officiated.  They even mentioned the lead official by name and said he and his crew were terrible.

For those that do not know, Sonny Smith is a former Auburn head coach and Wimp Sanderson is a former Alabama head coach.  They have a radio show here locally.

That's what I was told the people I was talking to last night. I hate blaming the officials, because it's just an excuse really. However, if there were ever a night to do so...