*Official* College Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
My buddy and I went f***ing insane when White dunked it in OT, holy s***. Hoosiers have to win at least 3 more to have an outside shot at the tournament.

That was one of the most exciting moments all year. Now we gotta upset those pesky Badgers.

UNC has a major danger game today. Playing at MD, without McCants who has been suffering from a stomach virus for over 3 weeks now. He had been losing weight and muscle among other things and everyone was worried. Good to see that he might be back for FSU in 5 days. I'm expecting Sean May to have a HUGE game because Felton has always had trouble with Gilchrist because of Gil's size.

VT the disgrace of the season in the ACC? I'd say Virgnia or Maryland.

Meant to say that Virginia was my disgrace of the conference. I think Virginia Tech has been the surprise of the conference and has a shot to make the tournament.

Man, you go out of town for a day and you miss a s***load of mindless Butter Parque posts.

You said "Illinois would be lucky to go .500 in the ACC"

You want a statement that sounds like it came from someone who hasn't watched a game this year, this is it.

BTW, saying the ACC is better than the Big Ten doesn't make Duke a better team than Illinois by any logic whatsoever.

What a useless thread this has turned into.

I never said that Duke was better then Illinois. I said that the ACC was better then the Big ten by a lot. I also believe that Duke could beat Illinois in the tournament. I just don't believe that Augustine could match up with Williams inside.

I also keep hearing people say that Illinois non-conference schedule was so tough, and thats correct. But I also keep hearing people say that Duke's non-conference schedule is weak. Now I sak why should Duke have to play a tough non-conference shedule whwn they play a brutal conference schedule? Illinois is the team that has to play a tough non-conference schedule because they play practically nobody in their conference.

QUOTE(Butter Parque @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
You can believe whatever you want, you're 14-11.

Committee will look at us a 15-10 though. That's what he's saying. You obviously don't know this because this is probably the first time you've watched IU basketball all year. However, Charlotte was able to spin, dribble, and shoot in .7 seconds in result of a late start of the clock. That shot cost IU the game by a point, and the committee will definitely take that in consideration. Even your favorite I suck the ACC's Dick Vitale, Jay Bilas, etc. have all said the same.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
Committee will look at us a 15-10 though.  That's what he's saying.  You obviously don't know this because this is probably the first time you've watched IU basketball all year.  However, Charlotte was able to spin, dribble, and shoot in .7 seconds in result of a late start of the clock.  That shot cost IU the game by a point, and the committee will definitely take that in consideration.  Even your favorite I suck the ACC's Dick Vitale, Jay Bilas, etc. have all said the same.

I dont know how you can argue with Butter on this...

Your 14 - 11.. I dont think IU will be going to the tournament..

I also doubt the committee will be like "Oh well Charlotte hit a lucky shot to win so well just pretend that IU won that game and let them slide on into the tourny and knock out a team that really deserves to be there"

doubt it...

IU = NIT bound

As a fan of neither team, I can safely say that Illinois would handle Duke rather easily in any location: Cameron Indoor, Champaign or at a local park in a pickup game.

I am not a fan of Illinois at all, but all of the haters around here need to quit running it about them until somebody actually BEATS them.

They are clearly the best team in the nation, they have proved it and Butter, the ACC is top heavy with three good teams and after that it's a substantial dropoff.

Nice win today Greasy. I woke up to watch the game then went back to sleep after OT, lol.

Almost killed yourself at the free throw line late, but the guys kept their composure and played some good D down the stretch and in OT. If only Bracey could be consistent...and no i don't mean 40 pt games, but his bad shooting and poor decisions that have played a huge hand in games has got to piss IU fans off.

Selection Sunday will be interesting for you. I don't think anyone can say whether IU is in or out for sure right now. Here's hoping we get another Big Ten team in there.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
As a fan of neither team, I can safely say that Illinois would handle Duke rather easily in any location: Cameron Indoor, Champaign or at a local park in a pickup game.

I am not a fan of Illinois at all, but all of the haters around here need to quit running it about them until somebody actually BEATS them.

They are clearly the best team in the nation, they have proved it and Butter, the ACC is top heavy with three good teams and after that it's a substantial dropoff.

Well put

If IU beats Northwestern at home and loses at Wis, they'll finish the regular season 15-12.

One win in the B10 Tourney would be enough in my view.

They'd be 16-13, with wins over Michigan St and Wisconsin and a nice SOS.

This discussion would be moot if they packed their schedule full of early season creampuffs, much like Duke and many other top programs do, but instead they decided to play UK, UNC, at UConn, Charlotte, at Mizzou and Notre Dame.

The committee will see this.

Also, even if Wisky beats IU on Tuesday, IU still finishes 3rd in the Big 10 outright, which in itself should be enough to get in.

The tiebreaker goes like this. IU and Wisconsin split, so the tiebreaker goes to their record against the best team in the Big 10. Both teams lost to Illinois (Wisconsin did twice, IU did once), so then it goes to Michigan St, the second place team. Wisconsin split with MSU and IU beat them, so IU wins the tiebreaker. And yes, this is how the tiebreaker will work.

I remember Georgia getting in a few years ago with a 16-14 record, so IU getting in at 16-13 wouldn't be a shock at all.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
This discussion would be moot if they packed their schedule full of early season creampuffs, much like Duke and many other top programs do, but instead they decided to play UK, UNC, at UConn, Charlotte, at Mizzou and Notre Dame.

but they lost to all those teams..

doesnt make much good to beat all the easy teams you play and then lose to all the tough/solid teams and expect to slip in.. it COULD happen, but I doubt it will..

I mean of course if they do good in the tourny they could get in, but I dont think thats gonna happen..

beating Wisconsin when they come to your place is nothing special.. they suck on the road..

MSU was a solid win for them though

Edited by T R U

QUOTE(T R U @ Feb 27, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
but they lost to all those teams..

Yes and if they played a bunch of garbage teams, their record would be 20-5 and we wouldn't even be talking about this, would we?

That's why I called it a moot point.

Yeah they lost to those teams, but you have to take that into account. Should IU have lightened up the schedule a bit? Probably. But they held up in some of those tough games, and you can't just look at it as "another loss" when you are playing teams of those caliber. Aboz is right, if they would have creampuffed their schedule and had 4-5 more wins instead of losses vs great teams, they'd probly be in for sure. The more i think about it, the more IU should be in