*Official* College Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
According to a source at the ICPD, the West Des Moines PD served a search warrant at a current player's apartment regarding sexual assault--the apparent victim was from WDM.

*Player is supposedly PP.

Also, Boyd was arrested. Good stuff over in Iowa.

If there is any truth to this PP is toast. Should have been toast after the first time with what he did. Alford was a joke through that whole thing, can't wait to see what he does now.

If this rumor is true I hope Pierce rots in prison and if any NBA team gives him a channce I'll be absolutely sick. And if he is found guilty I hope gets some of this :fight :chair as well as some of his own medicine (don't drop the soap Pierre).

Latest odds I've seen have Illinois favored by 1 tomorrow.

Wonder where Man of Steel is with his "I'll give you 16" comments now.

Can't wait til tomorrow, should be a great game, ESPN even said it may be the biggest game of the year to this point.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
Krush and SoxnBears, just thought you guys would like to know that me and 2 of my buddies are making the trek to Ann Arbor for next tuesday's game. Cant wait!!!!

GO ILLINI!!!!!!!

As i type this, there is a ticket to ann arbor sitting in front of me on my tack board.

Unfortunately, i have hockey practice, and it's the last one before a tournament. As the player/coach, i just can't miss.

Have fun guys, be a bit extra loud to make up for me.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)

Soon to be broke

I'll probly stay away from that line, as i did with the Wisky line.

The betting line from Jim Feist is as follows:

Feist has Illinois favored by 1.

The Book actually has Michigan St favorted by 1.5.

Interesting, although I don't see how Illinois wouldn't be favored at least by 3 or so.

Guess this means more of the money is moving towards Michigan St, at least right now.

Linkage:

http://www.jimfeist.com/scores/TomorrowAll.htm

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)

Can't wait til tomorrow, should be a great game, ESPN even said it may be the biggest game of the year to this point.

I don't think it will top the Wisconsin game. That game had absurd ratings.

Its going to be another tough test on the road. If the guard play is as outstanding as it was against Minnesota, no one can touch us...and hey, if they get shut down, our lil' James Augustine is making quite the name for himself this week.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
Every year is going to be a rebuilding year with Davis around.

If you haven't noticed, we've been better than you for a few years now.

I have confidence that Illinois will be as good if not better than IU for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't bet on U of I dominance for the next couple years just yet. They lose Head, Powell, Smith, and Ingram, probably more. If by some miracle Brown, Williams, and Augustine are all back (Augustine should be, but they'll probably lose at least one of the first two) they'll be pretty good but not stellar. They could definitely struggle in the next couple of years because Webber hasn't exactly been doing well in recruiting (and there is only one uncommitted impact guy even considering Illinois left for next season). They'll need at least 1 player next year and at least 3 players in two years from guys like McBride, Randle, Brock, Carter, and Pruitt to become major contributors (at least double figure scoring) to avoid a slide in the near future, or some of the newcomers who currently don't include a single 4 or 5 star player.. They need to start reloading big time starting with the Class of 2006, otherwise the next 3 years could be rough. They'll be helped by a conference that is declining in strength over years past, but not that much.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
It shouldn't be 3 points either way i don't think. #10 team at home...where we have been owned...i don't think we should be favored by 3. Money would definitely flow towards MSU if that were the case.

I will say this, for Anderson, Torbert and Hill, this is one of their last chances to show they can win a big game.

Since we lost Bell, Cleaves, J Rich, Hudson and Mo Pete, these were the guys who were supposed to carry Michigan St.

Izzo has ripped them for not being able to win a big game (see the Wisconsin game they blew a few weeks ago), despite them getting to the Elite 8 two years ago when no one thought they would go anywhere.

If they fail to come up big at all this year again, many Spartan faithful will be looking forward to Ager, Brown and Davis leading the way.

I agree it won't top the ratings of the Wisky game...at least i wouldn't think so just because of the lure of the "streaks" last week.

Key element is Davis. How healthy is he? Can Powell contain him inside. Can we get him in foul trouble? I have no doubt the guards will be solid. Hopefully Augie can step up with another Wisky performance (minus the early fouls) as well.

I think the key will be the guard play for Michigan State.

They've got a pleathora of guys who can play on the perimeter, but will they come up big against one of the nation's best backcourts in Williams and Brown.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
I wouldn't bet on U of I dominance for the next couple years just yet. They lose Head, Powell, Smith, and Ingram, probably more. If by some miracle Brown, Williams, and Augustine are all back (Augustine should be, but they'll probably lose at least one of the first two) they'll be pretty good but not stellar. They could definitely struggle in the next couple of years because Webber hasn't exactly been doing well in recruiting (and there is only one uncommitted impact guy even considering Illinois left for next season). They'll need at least 1 player next year and at least 3 players in two years from guys like McBride, Randle, Brock, Carter, and Pruitt to become major contributors (at least double figure scoring) to avoid a slide in the near future. They need to start reloading big time starting with the Class of 2006, otherwise the next 3 years could be rough. They'll be helped by a conference that is declining in strength over years past, but not that much.

We won't be near what we are now, but a final four/national championship will help the school recruit itself. Recruiting has been disappointing thus far, but hardly any new coaches to the big-time recruited real well off the bat. It's going to take a little while, but i don't see us dropping off the map anytime soon (or for that matter, much below IU, which was the original claim).

I think IU will be pretty good next year, if Wright stays, regardless of their coach.

They'll have a beast in Killingsworth coming in to join DJ White down low.

Vaden is coming along very well.

And of course, the key ingredient is Bracey, which I think he will stay.

And they have a good recruiting class again and Monroe (Auburn transfer) who will help at the guard position with Hardy, Ratliff and Strickland.

They may not be better than Illinois, which I wasn't expecting, but I think they will be back to one of the top 3 teams in the Big 10.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 02:57 AM)
We won't be near what we are now, but a final four/national championship will help the school recruit itself. Recruiting has been disappointing thus far, but hardly any new coaches to the big-time recruited real well off the bat. It's going to take a little while, but i don't see us dropping off the map anytime soon (or for that matter, much below IU, which was the original claim).

Let me clarify what I meant. They aren't going to "drop off the map." That would require going from their current level back to somewhere in the bottom couple spots in the Big Ten. But unless Webber gets Jamont Gordon or can keep Brown and Williams here, I see them struggling for a tourney bid next year. It's a little early to guess the quality of the 2006-07 team, but I think it would take at least two McDonald's All-Americans to keep them out of the same position. Webber will probably eventually get some better guys in here, but right now he is nowhere near the recruiter Self proved to be in his short tenure. That's going to hurt them in the immediate future.

As for the Indiana part, they could be pretty solid next year, but they need more talent after Wright runs out of eligibility. They'll need another strong option outside of Vaden and White.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 09:07 PM)
Let me clarify what I meant. They aren't going to "drop off the map." That would require going from their current level back to somewhere in the bottom couple spots in the Big Ten. But unless Webber gets Jamont Gordon or can keep Brown and Williams here, I see them struggling for a tourney bid next year. It's a little early to guess the quality of the 2006-07 team, but I think it would take at least two McDonald's All-Americans to keep them out of the same position. Webber will probably eventually get some better guys in here, but right now he is nowhere near the recruiter Self proved to be in his short tenure. That's going to hurt them in the immediate future.

I agree with what you say. I still think we can make the tournament next year. And yes, we need some stud recruiting classes sooner than later...but i think after this year they will start to come. If they don't, then we're in some trouble.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
Krush and SoxnBears, just thought you guys would like to know that me and 2 of my buddies are making the trek to Ann Arbor for next tuesday's game. Cant wait!!!!

GO ILLINI!!!!!!!

have fun man .

just don't expect an exciting game :lolhitting

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)

GO ILLINI!!!!!!!

Um...no offense, Tony, but maybe you should go to East Lansing instead.

BTW, that was a world-class butt-stompin' the Illini inflicted on my downtrodden Gophers on Saturday.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
Um...no offense, Tony, but maybe you should go to East Lansing instead.

BTW, that was a world-class butt-stompin' the Illini inflicted on my downtrodden Gophers on Saturday.

next tuesday they play at michigan so im hoping he would go to ann arbor to watch that game at the chrisler center