RANDY JOHNSON NOT GONNA BE A YANK

ManSooLee

Sox cannot afford to trade marte. He is still one of the best relief pitcher in baseball while be a lefty. Alot of people were disppointed with his ''bad'' year, but his bad year is better than the league average.

Plus he's signed to a very very affordable deal. I will agree with you on that. I still say Sox need to add two good relievers. If they don't they'll be in for another s***ty bullpen, imo.

This is going to be so interesting because while they don't HAVE to trade the Unit now, I can't see how a reasonable person could think they'd get more than Javy/Halsey/Duncan and cash in July. I think they have to move by February to max out. Otherwise they have to deal for essentially a One uber-prospect package or a bunch of slightly lesser ones.

The other question is whether RJ would agree to waive his no-trade in July. I've read that he wouldn't -- but then again, it doesn't sound very credible to me. At that point, why would he say no?

Gammons prediction falls apart within hours...... who would have thunk it? I still think the Yanks are posturing to get the price down. We'll see if it works.

See that Punch and Judy...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I didn't see that one coming.

Here's one for Gammon's credibility! :rolly

Please.

This from Roto.

The AP is reporting that that Yankees have pulled out of trade talks for Randy Johnson because the Diamondbacks were asking for too much.

According to the AP, Arizona originally asked the Yankees for Javier Vazquez, $18.5 million, four or five prospects and one of the following 10 pitchers that the Yankees would have to acquire separately: Tim Hudson, Barry Zito, A.J. Burnett, Jeremy Bonderman, Ted Lilly, Edwin Jackson, Scott Kazmir, Shawn Chacon, Jason Jennings and Kenny Rogers. Arizona apparently was willing to settle for Tom Gordon instead of an outside pitcher, but they wanted Brad Halsey, too, and the Yankees weren't willing to pay the price at this time. Talks will probably be restarted at some point, but the Yankees could take this opportunity to jump into the bidding for Pedro Martinez.

Speaking of Pedro it looks more and more likely he's going to go back to Boston. I heard today on ESPN News I think that they were going to give him his 3 yr deal that would be similar to what the Mets offered. If thats the case I don't see him leaving Boston.

However if the Boss comes a calling, Pedro is going to listen.

Also, based on what you posted Tony, that deal doesn't sound as bad. Halsey, Vazquez, cash, and Gordon would be fair for the yanks. Although they would be giving up a ton of cash (wowzers).

Heck, KW get your butt on the phone now if they are willing to give that type of cash lets see how much they'll pay of Browns contract.

I wonder what Beane wants, if its prospects, power hitting, or what.  If the Sox picked up Hudson and signed a FA pitcher then wow.  Assuming Garland is a part of a deal.

The one thing that worries me is the lack of relief names I've heard.  The Sox drastically need to upgrade the pen.  Farnsworth would be a nice start, but they need two pickups, imo.  A pen with Diaz, Cotts, Adkins and Politte all contributing heavily isn't a pen I like.

I would guess to get Hudson and Dotel we'd have to give up Uribe, Marte, and depending upon what Oakland intends to do with their 1B/DH/LF situation, Caballo or Konerko too.

I almost want to think that the second Beane asks for Uribe I say no deal. Uribe is gonna be a stud someday...potential .300 35 110 .900 gold glover type. And he's cheap, and there really are not enough options out there to help replace Uribe anymore.

Then again...I :wub: Uribe.

I would guess to get Hudson and Dotel we'd have to give up Uribe, Marte, and depending upon what Oakland intends to do with their 1B/DH/LF situation, Caballo or Konerko too.

I almost want to think that the second Beane asks for Uribe I say no deal.  Uribe is gonna be a stud someday...potential .300 35 110 .900 gold glover type.  And he's cheap, and there really are not enough options out there to help replace Uribe anymore.

Then again...I  :wub:  Uribe.

Ya, Uribe's great :headbang

Its funny, Arizona pretty much gave away Curt Schilling for nothing. And now they want the world for Randy Johnson. If they were smart, they should've shopped Schilling around more and got a better package, then they could've traded away Unit for a solid package as well. IMO Johnson will be traded, but it wont be until the middle of the season to a playoff contender.

As far as the Sox aquirering him: screw it, if he doesn't want to be here, i dont want him here. I hate how the Sox have such a bad reputation for some reason. If i was a player i would love to go to a team that hasn't won a title since 1917!!

Time to focus on a free agent pitcher (Clement, Ortiz, J. Wright exe...)

Or possibly a trade (Vazquez, Hudson, Zito exe...)

6 days till the Winter Meetings.... i'm expecting a few early christmas presents this year Kenny "Clause" Williams better deliver! :santabye

Yea that is what he says. But when he realizes that its probably his final season. I'm sure he wouldn't void a trade to a team that can potentially get him to the world series for a last time.

RJ wants to play at least another year after this. Their are some rumros that he will make any team that trades for him extend his contract another year and if he stays healthy he could pull a Nolan Ryan and pitch a lot longer.

How old was Nolan Ryan when he retired?

I can see Unit starting this season for the last time. And possibly transfering to the bullpen to extend his career even longer. Can you imagine Unit as a closer!? He would be more effective than Gagne IMO.

From what I've read, RJ has essentially no cartilage left in his right knee. Does anyone know if that's something risky, or is it easily dealt w/? I mean, I know he does take steps to deal w/ it (injections of various types), I want to know if those are pretty much guaranteed to work or not. Just curious, b/c it sounds bad...

RJ wants to play at least another year after this.  Their are some rumros that he will make any team that trades for him extend his contract another year and if he stays healthy he could pull a Nolan Ryan and pitch a lot longer.

Does RJ not think a team will give him a contract for 2006 or something? :huh: I'm sure the Yanks or the Red Sox would be trying to sign him after the 2005 season after he leads the White Sox to their first championship in 88 years. :pray

Its funny, Arizona pretty much gave away Curt Schilling for nothing. And now they want the world for Randy Johnson. If they were smart, they should've shopped Schilling around more and got a better package, then they could've traded away Unit for a solid package as well.  IMO Johnson will be traded, but it wont be until the middle of the season to a playoff contender.

As far as the Sox aquirering him: screw it, if he doesn't want to be here, i dont want him here. I hate how the Sox have such a bad reputation for some reason. If i was a player i would love to go to a team that hasn't won a title since 1917!!

Time to focus on a free agent pitcher (Clement, Ortiz, J. Wright exe...)

Or possibly a trade (Vazquez, Hudson, Zito exe...)

6 days till the Winter Meetings.... i'm expecting a few early christmas presents this year Kenny "Clause" Williams better deliver! :santabye

Schilling openly wanted out. RJ does not. Hence, the difference in leverage.

The Yankees are apparently out of the Randy Johnson sweepstakes. New York informed the Diamondbacks on Wednesday it was no longer interested in a trade, reports Jayson Stark. The reason: Believe it or not, Big Unit's price tag.

This is all postering by the Yankees. pure negotiation. Its a great move by them to lower the asking price. he will be a yankee. Give it another week.

This is all postering by the Yankees. pure negotiation. Its a great move by them to lower the asking price. he will be a yankee. Give it another week.

Exactly right, The Yanks are telling those bums in Ari to get their heads out of their collective asses and get serious or lose the deal. I bet they still end up getting RJ.

This could revolve around the Giambi thing too, The Yanks may realize that they have to dump Giambi to another team, even if that means eating a ton of his contract, and now they'll have to heavily pursue Beltran to replace the bat.

Also, RJ's position may change on the White Sox if his only other option is staying in Arizona. (White Sox optimisim talking here)