Sox talking to Oakland?

Mr. Showtime

From the SouthTown:

One source said Thursday the Sox have been in talks with Oakland for a deal that would land either Tim Hudson or Barry Zito, and would involve a package that included left fielder Carlos Lee.

"There's very little (free-agent) money left, unless I wanted to add a bench player at the right cost," Williams said of his payroll. "If I want to add an impact player now, I would have to move some salary."

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This does make me nervous. Lee straight up for Hudson is a good deal. Lee plus some second level minor league guy who Beane happens to have a hard-on for might also be OK. My guess though is that Beane will find a way to get Anderson or Sweeney from Kenny too. Lee and Garland for Hudson I'd only be alright with if KW has someone lined up as a 5th starter who is not currently on the roster (a free agent in other words.)

How would you feel about Lee and Garland for Hudson?  If we could sign Hudson to an extension I would make that deal in a heartbeat.

Personally I'd :puke

That would be drastically overpaying. Carlos Lee is a stud offensive player. One whose young and will be under contract next year at a fair price (9 mill or so).

If they deal Lee I already think its near mandatory that they lock up Huddy.

This does make me nervous.  Lee straight up for Hudson is a good deal.  Lee plus some second level minor league guy who Beane happens to have a hard-on for might also be OK.  My guess though is that Beane will find a way to get Anderson or Sweeney from Kenny too.  Lee and Garland for Hudson I'd only be alright with if KW has someone lined up as a 5th starter who is not currently on the roster (a free agent in other words.)

Nah, he'll probably look at Bmac and oh man will I flip if him or any of the top prospects are dealt. If Kenny can find a 3rd team in that would have some use for Konerko and then Anderson and say Diaz are involved.

I don't know who the 3rd team is. But say the Sox give up those three, A's get Anderson and Giles (just a suggestion, they could look at other teams) and the Braves pick up Konerko and Diaz (maybe a little cash) then who knows.

I should say I don't think Atlanta does this, but their could be a 3rd team out their somewhere.

I don't know who the 3rd team is.  But say the Sox give up those three, A's get Anderson and Giles (just a suggestion, they could look at other teams) and the Braves pick up Konerko and Diaz (maybe a little cash) then who knows. 

But they just resigned Julio Franco. And he's got upside.

I would like Byrnes.... play him in CF and move Rowand to LF....Byrnes is a mad man and plays his ass off. I would be all for it.

If the Sox got Byrnes and Hudson for Lee, Anderson and anyone but Bmac and Sweeney (from the minors) then fine by me. I love Brynes. Guy is a great defensive player and a pretty good top of the order guy.

Speedy Gonzalez too.

How about Lee for Hudson and Byrnes.  Byrnes strikes out a lot, but he had an OBP just below .350.  Maybe Lee and one of Diaz/Munoz?

He'd be a great addition to this ballclub, unfortunately, Beane is in love with him.

So, although I agree he'd be fantastic on the Southside, let's just take him out of the the picture all together.

He'd be a great addition to this ballclub, unfortunately, Beane is in love with him.

So, although I agree he'd be fantastic on the Southside, let's just take him out of the the picture all together.

he was also in love with Kielty...and that didn't work out too well.

Just a paralysis by analysis update... ESPN Radio is saying the A's are talking to "a number" of teams about Hudson... Only mentions the Orioles specifically but that's because they are making an offer to Pavano

I'm fairly certain the Hudson talks, at least at this point in time, involve the...

Braves: a deal surrounding Marcus Giles and a top pitching prospect

Cards: a deal surrounding Marquis/Haren and a top second baseman

White Sox: a deal surrounding Garland and Harris/IF prospect

Beane has gone on record saying he wants a young pitcher and a two-bagger.

Take it for what its worth.

EDIT: Actually, I've heard both Garland and Lee's name mentioned with the A's. Harris was actually just wishful thinking on my part. I want to make that clear. :lol: :D