Sox Eye Clement

DBAHO

From the Daily Southtown;

ANAHEIM, Calif. — The White Sox feel they accomplished a number of things by trading left fielder Carlos Lee to Milwaukee on Monday for speedy center fielder Scott Podsednik, setup man Luis Vizcaino and a minor leaguer to be named later.

They feel they improved their lineup and their defense, and strengthened their bullpen as well. And they freed up some salary with hopes of adding a bigger prize — a quality starting pitcher.

That pitcher could be Cubs free agent Matt Clement.

Sox general manager Kenny Williams is usually reluctant to talk about which players are on his radar screen. When he was asked after Monday's trade with the Brewers if he was interested in Clement, Williams at first was coy.

"We've heard of him," he deadpanned. "And we've seen him a little bit."

Then Williams came clean.

"Aw (heck), I can't deny it," he said. "You've seen me in the lobby (of the Anaheim Marriott during the final morning of the winter meetings on Monday) talking to his agent (Barry Axelrod). That would be a yes.''

There were reports that Clement was close to signing a four-year, $40 million deal with Anaheim, but the Angels denied that figure was on the table. Anaheim, Los Angeles and Detroit were among a host of teams rumored to be in the Clement derby.

The White Sox figure the Lee deal will save them in the neighborhood of $6 million in 2005, which wouldn't seem to be enough to let them get into a full-scale bidding war for Clement. But Williams doesn't necessarily believe the reports of what Clement has been offered.

"All I know is that there are rumors out there," he said. "I haven't been told of any definite numbers (by Axelrod)."

If the Sox can't land Clement, they could continue their trade pursuit of New York Yankees hurler Javier Vazquez or Arizona's Randy Johnson.

In any case, the Sox don't want the trade of Lee to be looked at as merely a cost-cutting move.

Two seasons ago, the left-handed-hitting Podsednik finished as the runner-up to Florida's Dontrelle Willis for National League Rookie of the Year honors after hitting .314 (with an on-base percentage of .379) and stealing 48 bases.

Last season, Podsednik's batting average dipped to .244, but he stole a major league-high 70 bases. The White Sox stole 78 as a team in 2004.

"His swing got a little long and a little bigger (in 2004)," Williams said of Podsednik. "He kind of went away from his strengths.

"We're looking for something in between last year and the year before. That's plenty good enough for us. One positive is his speed, his ability to create havoc on the bases.''

The Sox are thinking of moving Aaron Rowand from center field to left, which would keep the 28-year-old Podsednik at his natural position in center. Recently acquired Jermaine Dye will play right field.

"This is one of the better defensive outfields we've had in a long, long time," Williams said. "These guys can cover a lot of ground. They will get to balls headed to the gaps. I'm excited about the upgrade."

The 28-year-old Lee has been one of the top run producers for the Sox in recent years. He hit 31 home runs and had 99 RBI in 2004.

With the departure of Magglio Ordonez (free agent) and the uncertain status of Frank Thomas (recovering from ankle surgery) and Paul Konerko (who has been rumored to be trade bait), the Sox are facing a dropoff in power. And though U.S. Cellular Field was a home-run-friendly ballpark in 2004, Williams sees a need for a change in the Sox's attack.

"The way we were doing things simply weren't working," Williams said. "We still have some power with Carl Everett and Jermaine Dye, and I believe we will have Frank for the entire season. But our run production in the last couple of years has been misleading. One day we would be world-beaters on offense and the next three days we couldn't score. I think with (manager Ozzie Guillen's) style we needed to find a way to get people on base and create some scoring opportunities."

Lee had a 28-game hitting streak in 2004, and he fell one RBI short of his second straight 30-homer, 100-RBI, 100-run season. His 152 homers from 1999-2004 rank him eighth in Sox history; his .498 career slugging percentage ties "Shoeless" Joe Jackson for fifth in Sox history.

"I kept missing him when I called him, but I left a message and tried to express how we feel about him," Williams said. "He will always be a part of the White Sox family and I told (Milwaukee general manager) Doug Melvin he's getting an All-Star."

The 30-year-old Vizcaino was 4-4 with a 3.75 ERA as Dan Kolb's setup man in Milwaukee in 2004. He has a good slider and fastball, and last season he began throwing a split-fingered changeup.

Lee is slated to make $8 million in 2005 with a club option of $8.5 million in 2006. Podsednik will make $550,000 in 2005 and $1.9 million in 2006. Vizcaino is arbitration-eligible and could make $1 million in 2005.

Now, the Sox will see what becomes of the pursuit of Clement. The 30-year-old right-hander was 9-13 in 2004 with a 3.68 ERA and 190 strikeouts in 181 innings for the Cubs. He has a 69-75 career record, but was 26-23 from 2002-2003 with the North Siders.

The Cubs have offered Clement arbitration, and the team that signs him will lose a draft pick to the North Siders in 2005.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Also found this from the Daily Herald;

While they are off the hook for Lee's $8 million salary in 2005, the Sox aren't in a position to engage in a bidding war for Clement. But with the Angels, Dodgers and Indians also in pursuit, his asking price might balloon to three years for $30 million.

Free agent starters Orlando "El Duque'' Hernandez, Eric Milton and Odalis Perez are also available, and the White Sox might also explore a trade for hard-throwing Florida Marlins right-hander A.J. Burnett, who is rumored to be available.

Why, so AJ can sit on the DL all season long instead of pitching?

I'll take Clement, with some run support, Clement wouldn't have the record he had last season...better stats than Buehrle by far, and only 9 wins? Put him on the Sox last year and he's probably near 20 wins.

I told you the Sox were targeting Clement. :P

-y2

Is it just me, or does it seem like a bad idea for a GM to flat out say that he is targeting a particular player. As if Clement's price wasn't high enough, now he will have the leverage to tell other teams that the Sox have a hard on for him which could possibly hike his price to something we can't afford.

Under the radar??????

I think in this case, KW has a good hand dealt to him (speaking in Poker terms), as Clement has stated his wife loves Chicago and wants to stay. I believe Clement would give the Sox a discount...they just have to play their cards properly to get it.

-y2

Is it just me, or does it seem like a bad idea for a GM to flat out say that he is targeting a particular player. As if Clement's price wasn't high enough, now he will have the leverage to tell other teams that the Sox have a hard on for him which could possibly hike his price to something we can't afford.

Under the radar??????

KW was seen talking to Clement's agent. Kinda hard to stay under the radar when that happens. Why try and BS when it ain't gonna work?

and another thing I don't understand, it seems like most of would like the Lee trade a lot more IF it brings us a #3 arm. If you were KW, wouldn't you have both of those deals already in place BEFORE you pulled the trigger on the Lee trade??

What if we don't get an arm? Save the cash for a June push?

and another thing I don't understand, it seems like most of would like the Lee trade a lot more IF it brings us a #3 arm. If you were KW, wouldn't you have both of those deals already in place BEFORE you pulled the trigger on the Lee trade??

Maybe, just maybe, KW had to remove payroll before comitting to more payroll.

I sure as hell hope not, as that could ensure we are well out of it by June and the money goes away anyway.

As for not having everything in place, I think KW needed to get this done before the winter meetings closed yesterday and ran out of time to work everything else out.

I continue to reserve judgement on the deal until I see what we do as far as acquiring another starting arm. If they don't do that then all this talk about moving solidly in another direction (pitching, defense, and speed) is a little premature if the pitching upgrade is not there and the defensive upgrade is marginal.

I sure as hell hope not, as that could ensure we are well out of it by June and the money goes away anyway.

As for not having everything in place, I think KW needed to get this done before the winter meetings closed yesterday and ran out of time to work everything else out.

I continue to reserve judgement on the deal until I see what we do as far as acquiring another starting arm.  If they don't do that then all this talk about moving solidly in another direction (pitching, defense, and speed) is a little premature if the pitching upgrade is not there and the defensive upgrade is marginal.

I agree. For now, I'm going to give KW the benefit of the doubt and assume the second part of this move is already in place and it's just a matter of finalizing the deal and making it public.

Man would i love to see Clement on the south side. As my cub fan friend pointed out to me.....we just traded one of the biggest Cub killers(Lee) to a division rival...now let's take an under-appreciated pitcher from them as well.

juddling

:fthecubs :fthecubs :fthecubs :fthecubs :cheers

I personally would love to see AJ. Burnett in a White Sox uniform. ;)

Couldn't agree more. The question is what would it take to get him. I could see Konerko/Garland for Castillo/Burnett like someone else suggested. Seems like a fair deal for both sides.

It also gives the Sox just a little more wiggle room (only in the neihborhood of 2 mill more) but thats enough for them to sign a starter, land Pyrz and then maybe go out and pick up a young starting first baseman for prospects (Nick Johnson, Hee Sep Choi) who will compete with Gloadie.

I know one thing:

Garcia

Buehrle

Burnett

Perez

Contreras

Thats a rotation I LOVE. If Burnett is healthy the Sox got their ace.

The bullpen should be good. The defense will be good and the top of the order is solved with Rowand moving into the middle portion of the lineup.

You do put a major risk on your power, but at the same time team speed improves. I have my questions as to whether the Sox want to have a lineup without any major bats, but I do think they'd still have guys more then capable of hitting in this lineup, the main question is whether they would come through and live up to the ability.

I still say Kenny said that to throw others of his track completely. I think he may be targeting Perez.

I also think the rumors of 4yr 40 are way out of proportion and that he still could potentially be had at 8 mill a year, especially to the Sox, cause he wants to stay in Chicago.

Him and Perez are both the type of pitchers I'd like on the southside.

Although I think there is fair grounds for concern, Kenny will have that final starter by Soxfest.  He will get grilled if he doesn't.  He knows it; the fans know it.

Last night I committed to advocating overpaying for Matt Clement.  I still feel that way the "morning after."

Yeah, looking over the remaining pitchers combined with their chances at coming to the Sox, Clement and his horrible goatee might be the ideal choice.

I still say Kenny said that to throw others of his track completely.  I think he may be targeting Perez.

I also think the rumors of 4yr 40 are way out of proportion and that he still could potentially be had at 8 mill a year, especially to the Sox, cause he wants to stay in Chicago. 

Him and Perez are both the type of pitchers I'd like on the southside.

I was thinking the same thing Jas.

If Kenny can play up the idea of staying in Chicago, an idea that Clement has shown interest in, we may be able to get him for $8-9M for 4 years. I think that is very doable for the Sox and very fair for Clement.

Clement is my guy, but I'd be rather pleased with A.J. as well. I just fear what we'd have to give up to get him.

I was thinking the same thing Jas.

If Kenny can play up the idea of staying in Chicago, an idea that Clement has shown interest in, we may be able to get him for $8-9M for 4 years.  I think that is very doable for the Sox and very fair for Clement.

Clement is my guy, but I'd be rather pleased with A.J. as well.  I just fear what we'd have to give up to get him.

I think we would get him for 4 years $36 mill;

I don't think we'll offer that; probably more in the 3 year, 21-25 mill range

I don't think he's worth that - and the only reason I care is because it might make other pitchers' salaries disproportinate in comparison (Garcia and certainly MB); otherwise, it's time we spend some money

I like the Castillo/Burnett trade idea; I'd like it a lot more WITHOUT yesterday's trade, however, because if we deal Konerko, we really have no power at all.

Man would i love to see Clement on the south side. As my cub fan friend pointed out to me.....we just traded one of the biggest Cub killers(Lee) to a division rival...now let's take an under-appreciated pitcher from them as well.

juddling

:fthecubs  :fthecubs  :fthecubs  :fthecubs  :cheers

I thought the same thing, let's hope they don't have the last laugh by signing a certain former Sox right fielder....Oooooh EE Oooooooh, Ooooooh No.