Renteria to BoSox 4 years, $40m

Mr. Showtime

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...four_years_40m/

Edgar Renteria signed a four-year $40 million contract with the Red Sox today, giving Boston an All-Star shortstop.

"The biggest reason was that Boston is a traditional team," Renteria said from his home in Colombia. "They won the Series this year and I like to play on a winning team like Boston, St. Louis or any team that has the opportunity to win."

St. Louis lost to Boston in four games in the World Series, and Renteria made the last out, grounding out to Keith Foulke. "I played with them for six years but finally we didn't come t an accord."

A nine-year veteran, Renteria was one of the prime free agents on the market. His decision came down to Boston and St. Louis. "It (Boston's offer) was more generous.They were more interested in my playing for them."

The Red Sox offer also includes an option for a fifth year.

"It (Boston's offer) was more generous.They were more interested in my playing for them."

That line says it all.  The fact that those two sentences were connected tells me everything I need to know about Renteria.

Ugh.

That old gag again.

Money = Respect, Money = Affection, etc etc until I puke.

I don't get why people say its all about the money. It is. The Cards kept lowballing him (in his mind) and he was upset about it and the Red Sox wanted him.

Its not like he's taking the money and going to a losing team, he's going to the defending world series champs.

He's getting at least an extra 8-10 mill out of the deal. Although I think the Cards did actually offer him a fair deal. In fact I think both teams were stupid for paying this type of money.

In all seriousness, just watch....2 or 3 years from now Uribe will be the best shortstop in the AL not named Arod or Tejada.  The guy reminds me so much of Tejada.

Yea especially with that upper-cut swing..If he was supposed to be a super star there is no way in the world that Colorado would of gotten rid of him...He looks too awkward at the plate and I don't see consistency with his bat because everytime he swings, he looks like he's swinging for the fences..I am looking forward to seeing Wilson Valdez...That kid's def. got some potential..

Hmmm..I heard that Aaron Miles kid wasn't that bad...where did he come from?

You ever see Aaron play shortstop.

KW didn't trade Aaron Miles for Uribe because he didn't like Miles. He traded Miles because he knew we were short of shortstops in the organization. Whether you agree or not the White Sox at least last year were still confident in Willie Harris.

Hell, I don't know why I'm arguing with you. Stay pissed, life's long and full of time to see the light.

I'm not arguing...its cool...calm down...I'm just saying that you can't put Juan Uribe in a class with Alex Rodriguez or Miguel Tejada...

He said in two to three years. Remember he is only 25 and and had the third best slgguing percentage of all short stops last year along with the fourth highest ops. He has a low obp with high slugging and ops numbers, very tejada like.

"It (Boston's offer) was more generous.They were more interested in my playing for them."

That line saids it all.  The fact that those two sentances were connected tells me everything I need to know about Renteria.

I suppose a real, real good shot at winning the WS had nothing to do with it. ;)