Larkin as supersub

BamaDoc

I am not sure of many teams that are contenders needing a shortstop. I don't think Larkin could do it everyday anymore. If he is begining to see that his demand has dropped I wonder if he would accept a role including......starting at second vs lefties, spell Uribe once a week, Crede once a week(playing third vs Uribe to third)and some pinch hit opportunities. 4-5 games per week could be great for a vet. Gives us shortstop depth and he can play meaningfully on a contender. Thoughts?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
It would be funny to have Ozzie calling him kid...

If he's healthy and he can do it and come cheap sure why not...

His splits vs left handed pitching were not great but that was last year. Not sure what his career vs lefties looks like.

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
His splits vs left handed pitching were not great but that was last year.  Not sure what his career vs lefties looks like.

Thats not a bad idea at all... What were his splits vs. lefties last year? Im to lazy to look them up.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Thats not a bad idea at all... What were his splits vs. lefties last year? Im to lazy to look them up.

92 at bats .207avg .279obp small enough sample that I bet he has better career numbers.

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
92 at bats    .207avg .279obp small enough sample that I bet he has better career numbers.

Wow... thats pretty bad. If he cant hit lefties good he is no use to us. I doubt he will be much better this year. If hes contemplating retirement then he probably wont want to come here anyway.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
I wouldn't mind Larkin if he's real cheap. I also would want to make sure there would be no clubhouse cancer in him because there's a great chance he wouldn't be starting that often.

I don't think is even being considered by the Sox; however, there's no reason to believe Larkin would be a clubhouse cancer. Besides his numbers of late, you hear nothing but good things of his days in Cincy.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
I don't think is even being considered by the Sox; however, there's no reason to believe Larkin would be a clubhouse cancer.  Besides his numbers of late, you hear nothing but good things of his days in Cincy.

Yeah that's true, I'm just saying that he isn't used to coming off the bench so I don't know how he'd handle it. I'd assume he'd be fine, but you never know.

Right, he would have to understand that Uribe was the starting ss. I don't know why he intrigues me. If he would come with the player/mentor attitude it could be good. Maybe organizational job post playing but he would probably do that in Cincy.

I still think Larkin will hook up with some team but I wonder if he's willing to change leagues after 18 years.

He would be a good fit here, he is a leader, a good influence, and he can still play.

If he signed here (which I doubt) he would split a lot of time with Uribe at SS and Uribe would in effect be the super sub.

A longshot, at best.