ESPN Rumor Central

gsoxs1

Byrnes only made 328K in 04. That can't be ignored. That's the cheapest option of the 8.

I said Rollins, Polanco, Castillo were essentially unknowns because there weren't enough ab's vs the ALC to consider it a factor. That's also why I substituted Milwood for all 3. Anyways I have broken down all 8 options

(9 if you include Harris) in detail in the next player thread.

With respect to price vs performance Eric is my first choice. I know he sucks vs ALC but I'm willing to overlook that because of his price.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't understand why Beane would want to trade him now.

He's got to have a few arbit yrs left on him because nobody goes from league min to 5M+ in one yr. So the only think I can think of is Beane has someone whom he feels is better & ready to play that position. I don't know how he could know that but Beane never surprises me. He seems better at evaluating CWS talent than any fan or member of the CWS is.

If that is the case (it's the only one that makes sense) then I have to believe Beane will be asking a high price for Byrnes. He doesn't have to trade him. He's probably just thinking he's got really high trade value right now & he can make do w/out him if he can get something really good in return.

That leaves me to believe Beane is looking for a power hitter or power pitcher in return for Byrnes. We can't spare either.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=34478

This explains it all. They picked up a guy in the Hudson trade they feel

is ready to start. Byrnes is due a heafty arbit amount (a few mil at least) & Beane would like to save those millions.

It looks like Beane is looking for middle IFers so I think the AZD make more sense to land him than the CWS. I don't see what we could offer to get him & I don't know what we would do with Pods or Rowand if we did.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/page/CHW      Jan 2, 2005

--OF Aaron Rowand and the Sox are still talking about getting a multiyear deal done before arbitration this spring. Both sides have indicated that they are close, but the final numbers are yet to be agreed on.

I hope KW wasn't looking at swapping Rowand for Byrnes.

I cannot imagine KW even considering that scenario.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
The Sox interest in Byrnes may be directly tied to the DBacks interest in him (per Rotoworld).  I don't know what it would take to pry him from Oakland, but he may end up being part of a Vazquez deal if we get him.

Good call. The Sox know the DBacks want a CF type like Byrnes, who can leadoff. The Sox try to get him from the A's [prob. not for any starters, maybe Harris] and in turn pkg Brynes in a deal for Vazquez. Makes sense.

AZ certainly doesn't have the prospects or young players the A's would likely want for Byrnes. I know ALex Cintron is the best AZ has avail. for trade. But Harris is better than him

The Sox could have Alex Cora locked up w/ a handshake deal, trade Harris + for Byrnes, and trade Brynes and Garland for Vazquez. Interesting to say the least.

I think all this manuevering shows how much the sox would love to have Vazquez.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
The Sox interest in Byrnes may be directly tied to the DBacks interest in him (per Rotoworld).  I don't know what it would take to pry him from Oakland, but he may end up being part of a Vazquez deal if we get him.

Also, if the sox work out a 3 way deal with AZ [seeing how AZ couldn't get Byrnes from the A's themselves], AZ would have to kick in some of their cash [from the yanks and dodgers deals] to the Sox with Vazquez.

What the A's would want for Byrnes from the sox, who knows? Harris, Munoz or Diaz, and another prospect?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 05:40 AM)
Also, if the sox work out a 3 way deal with AZ [seeing how AZ couldn't get Byrnes from the A's themselves], AZ would have to kick in some of their cash [from the yanks and dodgers deals] to the Sox with Vazquez.

What the A's would want for Byrnes from the sox, who knows? Harris, Munoz or Diaz, and another prospect?

I think the Byrnes/Garland for Vazquez+ is probably on the money, but the rest of it is a total speculation. We really have no clue who Beane would want.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
I think the Byrnes/Garland for Vazquez+ is probably on the money, but the rest of it is a total speculation.  We really have no clue who Beane would want.

The a's are reportedly looking for help at 2b. They have 2 RH hitters, in Ginter and the guy who missed all of 2004. Willie's LH bat and good OBP should appeal to Beane.

The A's also could use a LH bullpen arm. They only have Ricardo Rincon who threw 30 innings last yr. Munoz and his zito like curve may be a match. But we'll see how this all pans out

If the Sox do aquire Byrnes and Dotel, Bean will probably want Harris and a highly rated prospect in return. Knowing Bean it will probably be either Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney. But if this trade happens it makes our pen even STRONGER and it also could mean the trade for Javier Vazquez as you guys already mentioned. Garland and Byrnes for Vazquez makes sense to Arizona, and it makes sense for us, solidifying our rotation and it makes our bullpen stronger. ALSO, Oakland gets their 2B and some talented prospects to add to their rebuilding plans. All in All everyone leaves this deal a winner. GO FOR IT KW!!! If this happens the only move left is that darn 2B we need! Hopefully that happens soon!

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
If the Sox do aquire Byrnes and Dotel, Bean will probably want Harris and a highly rated prospect in return. Knowing Bean it will probably be either Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney. But if this trade happens it makes our pen even STRONGER and it also could mean the trade for Javier Vazquez as you guys already mentioned. Garland and Byrnes for Vazquez makes sense to Arizona, and it makes sense for us, solidifying our rotation and it makes our bullpen stronger. ALSO, Oakland gets their 2B and some talented prospects to add to their rebuilding plans. All in All everyone leaves this deal a winner. GO FOR IT KW!!! If this happens the only move left is that darn 2B we need! Hopefully that happens soon!

the A's wouldn't trade Dotel. Even if they did, he wouldn't be worth the high price it would take to get him.

The sox trading just for Byrnes is more likely

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 07:19 AM)
the A's wouldn't trade Dotel. Even if they did, he wouldn't be worth the high price it would take to get him.

The sox trading just for Byrnes is more likely

That was my thought when I read that post. Wishful thinking maybe?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)

Beck, I am certain that beane knows that Diaz and munoz cannot pitch. We in chicago and the young people on this board are the only ones who think diaz and munoz can pitch...in the majors. Those guys are throw ins.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
The a's are reportedly looking for help at 2b. They have 2 RH hitters, in Ginter and the guy who missed all of 2004. Willie's LH bat and good OBP should appeal to Beane.

The A's also could use a LH bullpen arm. They only have Ricardo Rincon who threw 30 innings last yr. Munoz and his zito like curve may be a match. But we'll see how this all pans out

For th elast three years Munoz was suppose to be Zito. He is not. never will be, never can be. He will have one more year to try to prove he is a bullpen member. he is blessed he is lefthanded, otherwise he would be done. lefthanders will continue to get a break because they can pitch to one guy in a certain situation. I think Beane is alot smarter than this board when it comes to our farm system. Just my opinion.

I think it's unfair to bash Munoz and say that he won't make it as a bullpen guy. Frankly midway through the season in 2004, most of us thought he'd be in our rotation for a good period of time after the stats he was putting up at Birmingham. What happens, the guy has 1 real bad start (I blame this on pitching on 2 to 3 days rest) and is forced to stay in there and take one for the team, and doesn't have the same type of success down at Charlotte (a hitter's park) than he did down at B-Ham.

He showed enough in Septemeber in the pen however to suggest, that's where his long - term future should be. A guy who's that young, and with a curveball that he has, shouldn't be given up on. Beane loves young bullpen guys who come cheaply, and I'm sure he'd be interested in Arnie for the right price.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
I think the Byrnes/Garland for Vazquez+ is probably on the money, but the rest of it is a total speculation.  We really have no clue who Beane would want.

What if you were presented with the option of either Pods or Burns + Garland to get Vazquez, which goes? If AZ would take Pods, I'd be one happy camper.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
I think it's unfair to bash Munoz and say that he won't make it as a bullpen guy. Frankly midway through the season in 2004, most of us thought he'd be in our rotation for a good period of time after the stats he was putting up at Birmingham. What happens, the guy has 1 real bad start (I blame this on pitching on 2 to 3 days rest) and is forced to stay in there and take one for the team, and doesn't have the same type of success down at Charlotte (a hitter's park) than he did down at B-Ham.

He showed enough in Septemeber in the pen however to suggest, that's where his long - term future should be. A guy who's that young, and with a curveball that he has, shouldn't be given up on. Beane loves young bullpen guys who come cheaply, and I'm sure he'd be interested in Arnie for the right price.

your certianly entitled to your opinion. I would not run out and say this guy has a curve ball like Zito's. Zito is a proven winner. Munoz has proven nothing. he will hang around because he is a lefty, if you want him on the team, then keep him. I don't necessary fall in love with unproven players. he has been talked about for three years. When should we stop thinking he is one of the great lefthanders to come around. he has slipped in the perception of our team and the baseball experts. He will not be great. Serviceable...maybe but lets not get out of hand and think we can dumb our crap on billy beane. Beane knows these are second rate players. That's the only point I am making. Some on this board tend to overrate and over inflate our talent.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
your certianly entitled to your opinion. I would not run out and say this guy has a curve ball like Zito's. Zito is a proven winner. Munoz has proven nothing. he will hang around because he is a lefty, if you want him on the team, then keep him. I don't necessary fall in love with unproven players. he has been talked about for three years. When should we stop thinking he is one of the great lefthanders to come around. he has slipped in the perception of our team and the baseball experts. He will not be great. Serviceable...maybe but lets not get out of hand and think we can dumb our crap on billy beane. Beane knows these are second rate players. That's the only point I am making. Some on this board tend to overrate and over inflate our talent.

I never said Munoz had a curve ball like Zito's, I don't think anyone in the major leagues does, but it would be in the upper echelon's of major league curveball's. He's been talked about for 3 years, because it's not everyday a lefty who is 20 can make it in AA with a 6-0 2.61 ERA. I don't think anyone here has thought Munoz would be the next great lefty in baseball, all I'm saying at least, is that they guy has a chance to contribute out of the pen, if he is given the chance at some point in time. But he needs to cut down on his walks in the higher levels, and give up less homers. This stat showed how much 2004 was a Jekyll and Hyde year for him.

B-Ham in 13 games started - 1 home run given up

Charlotte in 13 games started - 11 home runs given up

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
For th elast three years Munoz was suppose to be Zito. He is not. never will be, never can be. He will have one more year to try to prove he is a bullpen member. he is blessed he is lefthanded, otherwise he would be done. lefthanders will continue to get a break because they can pitch to one guy in a certain situation. I think Beane is alot smarter than this board when it comes to our farm system. Just my opinion.

We threw well in Sept when put in the bullpen. Whether Beane likes Munoz or any of the Sox young players who knows. I do know Munoz has put up some good stats as far as low BB's, and avg'g about a K per inning through the minors. Also, not giving up that many HR's in his career. What is he 21, 22?

I think Munoz could be a factor for the Sox this yr, if he's not traded. One of these yrs, some young sox pitchers have to make an impact, right? :D

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
We threw well in Sept when put in the bullpen. Whether Beane likes Munoz or any of the Sox young players who knows. I do know Munoz has put up some good stats as far as low BB's, and avg'g about a K per inning through the minors. Also, not giving up that many HR's in his career. What is he 21, 22?

I think Munoz could be a factor for the Sox this yr, if he's not traded. One of these yrs, some young sox pitchers have to make an impact, right?  :D

I assume you mean a positive impact? :lol:

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)

I'm not comparing Munoz to Zito. Just Arnie's curve has been talked about a lot. I don't know what his future is. Yet he's young, has a good, live arm and a LHP. Guys have had 10-15 yr careers with less