Iguchi's production

Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
Where are your predictions cheat?

p.s. hilarious avatar.

He's gonna struggle

.262/.343/.365 -- 11HR, 45 RBI, 31SB, countless balls not played because the backhanded scoop is shameful.

Oh and the avatar has been in the works for a couple weeks now. I was just waiting for it to become official

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.280/20HR/70RBIs/30SB at best. The adjustment may take a while but Iguchi will be a star before long

His old ball park had 50 feet high outfield walls and he still managed to hit a lot of dingers. Just hope he bats 6th or 7th rather than in the top two holes, just so he can use his power to drive in runs more.

If he gets to .270, 15 hr, 45 rbi, 20 sb, I'll be pleased. Honestly though, all these predictions are a shot in the dark. I've liked what I've heard, but I have absolutely no clue what to expect from Iguchi.

I basically love the move if only for the minimum risk involved.

QUOTE(gotoh00 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
.280/20HR/70RBIs/30SB at best.  The adjustment may take a while but Iguchi will be a star before long

His old ball park had 50 feet high outfield walls and he still managed to hit a lot of dingers.  Just hope he bats 6th or 7th rather than in the top two holes, just so he can use his power to drive in runs more.

Do you know what the fence dimensions were to left, right, and center?

OK, just to sqaush the Captain Buzzkill nickname -- Here's Iguchi's Major League Equivalents for the last 5 years (an approximation of what his production would have been in the major leagues) Credit: This site

Tadahito Iguchi

dob Dec 4, 1974 BR TR

pos 2B 2003 salary: $2.24 million

YEAR G AB H 2B 3B HR BB AVG OB PCT SLG
2000 65 194 45 11 4 5 14 .230 .284 .402
2001 162 639 155 29 2 21 57 .243 .305 .393
2002 132 495 120 16 2 13 25 .242 .278 .357
2003 156 596 189 42 2 19 75 .317 .393 .488
2004 151 621 193 41 4 18 40 .311 .358 .474

He's just turned 30 and has been released by his team so he can go to the majors. He's

finally turned in two similar seasons. I'd say he's likely to play at least another year or

two at about the 2004 level, then begin to decline with age. He won Gold Gloves in 2001 and

2003, but as we saw with Kazuo Matsui, that's no guarantee of a NPB middle infielder's prowess

with the glove at the major league level. I'd scout that aspect of his game carefully,

because if his defense is up to snuff, you've got to like a .300 hitting second baseman with

some pop in his bat. Unless Jojima is posted, he's almost certain to be the best player to

come over from Japan this year.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
He's gonna struggle

.262/.343/.365 -- 11HR, 45 RBI, 31SB, countless balls not played because the backhanded scoop is shameful.

Bastard! You stole my predicted average!

.262/.325/.370

14 HR, 60 RBI, 21 SB

http://home.n00.itscom.net/kbt-t/yakyujo_p...uokad04g_e.html

Dimensions  LF328, CF400, RF328

As someone pointed out the walls are much higher than the Cell.

Likewise they won the league title in 00, & the Japan Series in 03.

I think Iggy had the series clinching HR in that series.

Wow, not bad...

U.S. Cellular Field's dimensions:

LF 330

CF 400

RF 335

Fukuoka Dome's dimensions (Iguchi's home stadium in Japan):

LF 328

CF 400

RF 328

Iguchi's home stadium's dimensions in Japan and the Cell's dimensions could be near identical since the Fukuoka Dome has higher walls than the Cell. And remember, Iguchi hits most of his homers to LF. He could very well hit 20+ homers a year for us.

In general, most parks are smaller in Japan.  USCF is considered a small park in the states, and Tad's home park is a pitcher's park in Japan. So his numbers are still inflated based on the 50% of games that he plays in those small parks away from home.

True. I just think the Cell is definately going to help Iguchi's power just as it did for Uribe. Of course, I'd still rather see a high OBP and alot of SB from Iguchi instead.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
He's gonna struggle

I don't get the .103 ISOp, da Chort. Why would you think his ISOp would be even lower than Kaz Matsui's? Matsui went from hitter's park in Japan to pitcher's park in the US. Iguchi is doing the opposite. I see an ISOp in the .140-.170 range - short of his .220+ in Japan, but much better than Matsui's.

You may be giving him too much credit in terms of walking. If he hits .262, his OBP will be .325-.330.

My guess is .285/.350/.440, which is probably on the low end of what he is capable. I wouldn't be surprised with a .310/.390/.480 line, either, but that's probably in the 90th percentile of expectations for him.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
There seems to be an inordinate amount of people hear sipping the kool-aid and ready to place this guy in Cooperstown tomorrow. 

I was wondering what you thought his production would be next season...

.avg/.obp/.slg  HR RBI

Translations go both ways. What do you think Willie would hit in Japan? Could he be as good as the great Greg LaRocca at .328? The immortal Alex Ramirez who hit .305?

I was shocked by the thread that said the Sox didn't scout him with their own people, I'm sure the central bureau put a watch on him but most of us -except Shingo, will get our first look at him in Arizona. No predictions until I see him.

I'm gonna skip the Kool-Aid and stick with the beer until at least mid-March.

I think the size of the wall might have escaped some of you. It's much higher than the Cell. You can't make a HR stealing catch there. I think you have to add at least 10ft to those dimensions in order to hit a HR there. That makes it easier for him to hit HR's in the Cell than that Dome. Assuming he can hit MLB pitching of course :)

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
I don't get the .103 ISOp, da Chort.  Why would you think his ISOp would be even lower than Kaz Matsui's?  Matsui went from hitter's park in Japan to pitcher's park in the US.  Iguchi is doing the opposite.  I see an ISOp in the .140-.170 range - short of his .220+ in Japan, but much better than Matsui's.

You may be giving him too much credit in terms of walking.  If he hits .262, his OBP will be .325-.330. 

My guess is .285/.350/.440, which is probably on the low end of what he is capable.  I wouldn't be surprised with a .310/.390/.480 line, either, but that's probably in the 90th percentile of expectations for him.

Nothing truly scientific to back it up... The avg/obp, I just used Willie's numbers off the top of my head... I just don't think you can take two solid years in Japan, and ignore the 4 crappy years before it.

We've seen the adjustment period in other japanese imports. The Matsui's (50hr's in 2002, 16 in 2003 for Godzilla), Ichiro(although he was asked to just get on base) ---The averages were down a little, but the power was down a lot.

I don't think you can say just because his park is of similar size to USCF that there won't be a drop-off. The league that he plays in is full of tiny indoor boxes. The major league, while trending to smaller parks, is still much less hitter frindly than japan.

The ISOp is probably low, but I didn't put a ton of thought into it. I would definitely be surprised by an OPS much higher than .700.

The second year of the deal, I'd expect some big things from Iguchi(.290/.365/.435). I just feel there's some significant growing pains to be felt in the next 8 months.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
True.  I just think the Cell is definately going to help Iguchi's power just as it did for Uribe.  Of course, I'd still rather see a high OBP and alot of SB from Iguchi instead.

Huh? Uribe hit in Coors before he came...Me thinks Uribe just lived up to his potential.

Huh?  Uribe hit in Coors before he came...Me thinks Uribe just lived up to his potential.

Agreed, but you can't just think that Uribe should have lit it up for the Rockies though. He only had one full season of at bats with them in 2002. Also, he is still only 25 years old so you couldn't have expected Uribe to put up stud numbers with or without the benefit of Coors when he was only in his early 20's.

My Prediction:

.285-18HR-70RBI-22SB-.355OBP

Reasoning:

I put him up to Kaz Matsui and compared Iggy to him (.272-7HR-44RBI-14SB-.331OBP)

1. Iggy will have less pressure on him, and can "fly under the radar" somewhat.

2. Iggy will be hitting in a much better lineup.

3. Iggy will be hitting in a much much much more friendly hitters park than Shea.

In Japan (last 2 years), Iguchi stole more bases, had more SBs, more BB's, more RBIs, much better average, much better OBP, and a lot less K's.

Worst case scenario, I can't see Iggy doing any worse than Kaz and most likely a smidge better (.275-13HR-55RBI-17SB-.340OBP). Even if he puts up those numbers, I wouldn't be disappointed.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
Agreed, but you can't just think that Uribe should have lit it up for the Rockies though.  He only had one full season of at bats with them in 2002.  Also, he is still only 25 years old so you couldn't have expected Uribe to put up stud numbers with or without the benefit of Coors when he was only in his early 20's.

Oh yeah, I agree. I just don't think the Cell was to blame for his increase in HR. I just think he finally fulfilled his potential. Coors could have had a negative effect on him as well. He might have thought he could have hit anything out of the park. I know last year when he slumped Walker would always talk about him trying to pull everything. Maybe the simple fact of moving away from Coors helped Juan out. Whatever it was, thank you very much.